Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 6:16:06 PM EDT
It was my dad's 67th birthday today. My dads a great guy but was never into the kind of stuff I am. Shooting, fishing and the outdoors in general were all discovered by myself. He never bought me a BB-gun or a .22. He would take me fishing but never fish himself, he would sit on the pier or in the car and watch. Whenever my mom and dad come for dinner I'll show him a gun or two and he'll say "maybe I'll get one myself" and kind of blow it off.

Well, today I was in the store looking for a little something to go along with his yearly "Birthday Gift Certificate" and saw a H&R Pardner 12ga Single Shot and thought "screw it, I'll get it"

It was like watching a kid at Christmas...Almost brought a tear to my eye.

It was kind of funny me giving my dad his first gun, not the other way around. But the smile on his face will stay with me forever!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

But you did not give him ammo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a great story, thanks for sharing!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
2 points for reversal! Cool, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice.

But you did not give him ammo.

had that covered
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It's never to late to get someone into shooting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice. I still remember when my dad gave me my first rifle. And my first shotgun. And my deer rifle.

Yeah, my dad's great. I'm hoping he gets me my first handgun for my 21st birthday, because I certainly can't afford one.

We also keep having discussions about which guns will be family heirlooms and which ones are "expendable" once he's gone. Eventually he caught on that I'll likely never sell a gun as long as I live, especially an inherited one. Now he just concerns himself with figuring out which ones stay in the family forever and which ones can be sold off when I'M gone.

I plan on passing down the Remington 720, the Taurus revolver (his first handgun and the one I carry at our ranch), and his Winchester and mine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's never to late to get someone into shooting.

for sure
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top