Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2008 1:23:08 PM EDT
How do I remove a stripped allen screw from my bike?

The threads aren't stripped...The hex is just more of a circle now...

Any ideas?   Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the head of the screw exposed or countersunk? If exposed, you could take a hacksaw blade and cut a slot in it. Then use a straight screwdriver to take it out. You would probably need to replace the screw after.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried tapping a torx into it I've done that before.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is the head of the screw exposed or countersunk? If exposed, you could take a hacksaw blade and cut a slot in it. Then use a straight screwdriver to take it out. You would probably need to replace the screw after.

If it is rounded off, you may also try an E Z Out. This is essentially a tool that is a drill bit, but reversed*; you can 'drill' it into the sunken head and remove it by twisting it counterclockwise.

*It is actually more like a long, tapered, four-sided shaft, that has been twisted backward. You drill into the shaft of a bolt that has been rounded off and you can remove it as stated above.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
ez outs for the win...find them at sears
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't get it out using slots,  easy outs,  etc.  You may have to drill the end off of the bolt.  First make sure the part can be removed with the one allen bolt still in it.  Use a drill bit that will drill down through the rounded off hex.  Be patient the allen bolt may be fairly hard.  Drill in till you think it's deep enough then stick something in the drilled hole and try to break it off.  Once you have it off look for burrs that will stop it from coming off.  Once you get the part off you should be able to remove the bolt with a Vice Grips.

Use anti-seize on the threads of th bolt when you reinstall.

Always clean out the allen hole before you try to install the wrench.  I sometimes will tap an allen socket into the hole with a hammer to make sure it is seated all the way in.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a lefthanded to twist drill to get them out.  Since the drill is turning in the same direction as loosening the bolt, it usually comes out while you are drilling.  Use a centerpunch to give you a good starting point without the drill wandering all over.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
vice grips if its not countersunk
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]
what is it going through?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:59:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I use a lefthanded to twist drill to get them out.  Since the drill is turning in the same direction as loosening the bolt, it usually comes out while you are drilling.  Use a centerpunch to give you a good starting point without the drill wandering all over.

Left handed drill bits for the win!

Bryan
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Counter sunk in my seatpost clamp on my BMX bike...(Yeah..I'm 28, fat and on a little bike, so?)

Some great suggestions...I have a good drill and will try a couple things before I get an EZ out...Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Have you tried tapping a torx into it I've done that before.

THIS IS THE ANSWER!
An oversize torx wedged into a hex will remove it. Go SLOWLY.

AB
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]
In haste I've superglued allen keys or other tube/bar stock into/onto stripped heads.  For real small sizes the allen keys are cheap, and larger allen keys can survive whatever hammering it takes to get the screw off after.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What size is it? If it is counter sunk, then use a center punch and hammer onthe flat surface of the bolt head, counter clockwise.

quote]

WTF?

If I am hitting a center punch with a hammer on the surface, how would I do that cc?

This is an allen screw (round head, sunk hex) in a sunk clamp...

I can't find a fucking torx...DAMMIT!
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top