Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 4:24:14 PM EDT
Here is a link to the story of the Perpetrator and her Victim of the suicide bombing of a supermarket, and the death of a simple Security Guard.

The story is from the Jerusalem Post, and it's a commentary on a New York Times story:

[size=4]Depending On Your 'Point of View'[/size=4]

"Take New York Times correspondent Joel Greenberg's April 5 dispatch, '2 Girls, Divided by War, Joined in Carnage.' The story, about the parallel lives and entwined fates of supermarket suicide bomber Ayat al-Akhras and suicide bomber victim Rachel Levy, is a model of objectivity and balance. The high school seniors, a year apart in age, looked 'strikingly similar.' Both had black hair; both wore blue jeans. Akhras was a 'top student with superior grades'; Levy had an interest in photography.

See remainder of article at:[url]http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2002/04/14/News/News.46917.html[/url]

Just in case you opt out of reading the whole story, let me at least tell you how it ends:

"There was a second victim, security guard [b]Haim Smadar[/b]. The Israeli press has given him his due, as does Etgar Lefkovits's story in today's Jerusalem Post magazine. [b]But in the West, he doesn't count: his presence interrupts the happy fictive symmetries of its political imagination[/b]. [b]So a word about Haim Smadar[/b].

"He was a father of five. Two of his children are deaf. He had been married for more than 30 years. He made a security guard's salary. He prided himself on his alertness. He received a commendation last year from Mayor Ehud Olmert for his diligence. His knowledge of Arabic - he was born in Tunisia - may have alerted him to the danger posed by Akhras. [b]Witnesses attest that his last words, as he struggled to stop Akhras from entering the supermarket were, '[u]You are not coming in here. You and I will blow up here[/u].'[/b] He may have saved 12 or 20 or 30 lives, or more.

"SINCE NEITHER Joshua Hammer nor Joel Greenberg saw fit to say this in their published reports, let me say this in mine: [b]God bless Rachel Levy and Haim Smadar. May their memory be a blessing.[/b]"

Amen, may the memory of these two Israelis be a blessing upon all who read this, as well!

Eric The(AndASpecialPrayerForTheChildrenOfHaimSmadar!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top