Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 2:56:17 PM EDT
Call, fax, and email your House members, Senators, and the Congressional leaders!  You can bet your ass the other side will be doing it this week!
Congress comes back in session on Tuesday, and I just heard on CNN that they will be fast tracking legislation dealing with the hurricane fallout.

Keep up the pressure! www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203989
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If an AWB rider is going to be anywhere, I assure you it will be on the Hurricane legislation.

We are no where near safe on this one fellas, not even close.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be making a lot of phone calls this week.
With a few days left, this is no time to get lazy and act like its all a done deal.

Thanks for linking to the post with all the contact info...they will hear from me!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
good post
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
10 years we have waited, we MUST pull out all the stops NOW folks!   Don't let all the hard work over the past year go down the drain in the next couple of days!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep the pressure on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Emails sent. Phone calls will follow.  Keep the pressure on!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Even the Senate would probably find that an AWB extension tacked onto a Bill regarding hurricane relief as non-germane.  Unless the legislation stated that the fed gov't should give away free black rifles to help storm-ravaged citizens protect themselves.

I'll contact everyone I can nonetheless, but I don't think this is going anywhere in the Senate, let alone the House.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Call Senator Frist too.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Agree
To late into the mission  to take a nap now.

GM
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Never Give Up!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn right! (I plan on keeping an eye on CSPAN for the next few days).  I know it's pretty much a done deal that the AWB is over, but now is not the time to get over confident or sit back and relax. Our enemies have no plans on giving up and we still need to beat them senselessly into the ground at every opportunity.

NRA Action Alert.

www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1230

Final Countdown Has Begun On Clinton Gun Ban

Friday, September 03, 2004

Take Nothing For Granted!!!!

With Congress set to come back from its Summer District Work Period on September 7, only a handful of legislative days remain before the Clinton gun ban is due to expire on September 13.

With time running out, two things are certain:

1. The anti-gunners will re-double their efforts to expand and extend the ban (in fact, next week, the Brady Campaign will once again roll out its typical and ongoing dog-and-pony PR show to blame inanimate objects for the acts of criminals) , and
  2. we can not take anything for granted!

We have come too far in the past 10 years not to pull out all the stops in the next week and a half to ensure that this ban expires as Congress intended, and becomes nothing more than a sad footnote in America`s history.

Therefore, we are once again urging you to keep the heat on your lawmakers to ensure they know that their voting constituents do not want to see this ban extended even one second longer than its scheduled demise on September 13.

Once again, please visit NRA-ILA`s website —http://www.clintongunban.com/ —to have all the facts about this debate. And even if you`ve done so before, please forward this website to others who need to know both the history and the truth about this issue. Then, as you have been doing, please immediately contact your U.S. Representative and your U.S. Senators and urge them to oppose any legislation seeking to extend the Clinton gun ban.

You can find contact information for your elected officials by using the "Write Your
Representatives" tool or you can call your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121, and your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.

Working together in these last few legislative days before September 13, we can ensure that our mutual and tireless efforts over the past decade pay off with the abolition of Bill Clinton`s repressive gun ban!

I don't give a flying fuck what anyone says about being paranoid or worrying too much... it ain't over till Sept 13th.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The AWB is most likely to expire but it doesn't hurt to make a few extra phone calls, etc. -  just in case.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]
We have to out contact the antis.

It's that simple.

They will be on the phones.

We must too.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We have to out contact the antis.

It's that simple.

They will be on the phones.

We must too.

CRC

a BIG +1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's keep this near the top and make sure all see it. I am going to call my reps on Monday and leave a message and Tuesday and let one of there office staff know not to support the AWB if they want my support.

CALL

WRITE

EMAIL

WE CAN GET OUR RIGHTS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If an AWB rider is going to be anywhere, I assure you it will be on the Hurricane legislation.

thats fuckin gay WTF does the AWB have to do with HURRICANES?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#17]
While September 13th is a major step, it doesn't stop here.

The battle is won but the war is not over.  Dig in deeper and keep on fighting!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I can only imagine the rejoicing that will be taking place by lovers of liberty on September 13th.

I will watch and be happy...for you.

<----------
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#19]
anybody got a schedule of congress for the first week back?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
anybody got a schedule of congress for the first week back?

bump
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#21]
+1

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]

This is it!  The final week of the ill-conceived "assault weapons" ban.  Get on the phone tomorrow (Tuesday) and make your view on this issue known.  It's late in the fourth quarter, and we're ahead by 28.  But as any New Orleans Saints fan knows, this is no guarantee of victory.  We cannot let up right now, especially considering the all-out assault that the anti-gun lobby will unleash this week.

To help ensure a steady flow throughout the day, I suggest that we stagger our calls.

If your last name begins with:

A - F: call between 9:30am - 11:00am eastern time.
G - L: call between 11:00am - 12:30pm eastern time.
M - S: call between 12:30pm - 2:00pm eastern time.
T - Z: call between 2:00pm - 3:30 eastern time.

Of course, this is merely a suggestion... don't fret if you can't call at your "designated" time.  Just call at whatever time you can!  Make these phone calls Tuesday, and Wednesday too if you can.

You can easily obtain your elected officials' contact info here:

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

In addition, call the White House and state your opposition to renewing the ban. 202-456-1111.  Though President Bush has expressed support for the ban in the past, he has not pushed Congress to pass a renewal, largely due to US.  Take this opportunity to politely remind him of how important this issue is to us.

Forward this to everyone you know, and let us leave no doubt in the minds of our elected officials as to just how unpopular this gun ban is!

http://www.awbansunset.com
http://www.awbansunset.com/forums

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Tagged. Tomorrow I'm gonna load numbers into my cell phone, then I've got all week to call congress.

The ban's dead, but you guys are right, a final push can't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#24]
If it's going down or not, it certainly wouldn't hurt to contact them - 5 minutes or 10 infinite more years: What do you want?

Call them!! Write them!! E-mail them!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Tagged. Tomorrow I'm gonna load numbers into my cell phone, then I've got all week to call congress.

The ban's dead, but you guys are right, a final push can't hurt.

exactly.
and just something to think about it, if congress gets a ton of calls/faxes/etc.. from our side now, they make think twice before even taking up any new gun legislation in the future.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#26]
The antis are planning on flooding the phone lines on Thursday (I can't figure out why they're waiting that late in the week).

http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/alerts/reader/0,2061,574471,00.html

"Save the Assault Weapons Ban
9/3/2004

Action Alert
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence United With the Million Mom March
1225 Eye Street, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
www.bradycampaign.org

We need your help! Please contact President Bush on Thursday, September 9th, 2004, and tell him to renew the assault weapons ban.

There are only a few days until the assault weapons ban expires on September 13, and our nation will face a new era of criminal and terrorist attacks with assault weapons unless President Bush keeps his campaign promise and gets the law renewed. During his campaign in 2000, President Bush pledged to renew this law. But so far he has done nothing to prevent military style weapons like AK-47s and UZIs from flooding back into our neighborhoods.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

STEP 1: CALL
On Thursday, September 9th, 2004, call the White House between the hours of 9am and 5pm ET (6am-2pm PT) at 202-456-1111. Tell the President to listen to law enforcement and renew the ban on assault weapons before it expires on Monday, September 13th.

STEP 2: EMAIL
Please forward this action alert to everyone in your email address book! We must spread the word to make this work! (Because of the Labor Day weekend, you may want to send out reminders next Tuesday or Wednesday as well.)

The federal Assault Weapons Act bans the manufacture and sale of military-style, semiautomatic assault weapons, including AK-47s, UZIs, and the TEC-9. In a letter, former Presidents Ford, Carter and Clinton have urged President Bush to save the law. In their letter to President Bush, they wrote, "at a time when terrorism continues to be a serious threat, it is even more imperative that we renew the Assault Weapons Act and limit access to military-style weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips." They urge President Bush "to make reauthorization of the Assault Weapons Act a top priority for your Administration and spur
Congress to action."

National law enforcement organizations, and ten of thousands of police chiefs, sheriffs, and rank and file law enforcement officers support renewing the ban. Polls consistently show overwhelming public support for the assault weapons ban. According to ATF data, since the Act was passed in 1994, the incidence of assault weapon use in crime has dropped by 66 percent.

Don't forget:

STEP 1: CALL 202-456-1111 on Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 9am and 5pm ET
Tell the President to renew the ban on assault weapons before it expires on Monday, September 13th.

STEP 2: EMAIL YOUR ADDRESS BOOK

Thanks for all your help!"

They also have a contingent of police chiefs and other no-nothings traveling to DC to plead their case.

http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/alerts/reader/0,2061,574470,00.html

"Next week, dozens of police chiefs are traveling to the nation's capitol along with Americans who have lost a loved one to killers armed with those weapons to urge President Bush to renew the ban. If he doesn't call for action, the President will be showing that his compassion is limited to the lunatics who want to stockpile Uzis, AK-47s and Tec-9s".

List of active legislation still waiting to be voted on.

www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/b_three_sections_with_teasers/active_leg_page.htm

Looks like a lot of unfinished buisness  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Wellat least AR-15's weren't mentioned, so we should be OK.

Seriously, these soccer moms don't have a clue as to what the AWB is really about.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The antis are planning on flooding the phone lines on Thursday

/\    

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/\    

Why are they pounding the Presidents office with the calls?  Do they expect him to write a bill and push it through congress in one day?  I don't get the push to call the president.  Seems like a poor strategy, although that's fine by me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Why are they pounding the Presidents office with the calls?  Do they expect him to write a bill and push it through congress in one day?  I don't get the push to call the president.  Seems like a poor strategy, although that's fine by me.

It's not going to make it out of the House without Bushs go ahead. They want him to tell DeLay (and other R House members), to bring the AWB up for a vote and pass it so he can sign it.

Makes me think that their game plan is to bring it up in the Senate first (where they know they have the votes), so it can make it to the House by mid-week.

This is their last stand on the issue until the new Congress convenes. I know there's an extremely small chance of them succeeding, but why let up on them now? We have our boots planted squarely on their necks. We should be stomping down harder... kick the fuckers while they're down.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/\    

Trust me, if W asked for a bill, the spineless majority would give him one pronto.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Emails have been sent, more to follow!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's what the New York Times says the big issues are going to be...

September 6, 2004
Congress to Face Many Tough Issues as Election Day Nears
By CARL HULSE

ASHINGTON, Sept. 6 — With their party conventions behind them, members of Congress return Tuesday for a politically charged march to Election Day that has been complicated by the call to reorganize the nation's intelligence agencies and Congress itself.

House and Senate leaders are planning to advance legislation that puts in place recommendations from the Sept. 11 commission report issued just before Congress broke for six weeks. Lawmakers must also dispose of a dozen required spending bills, as well as decide what to do about a popular highway measure and other proposals while jockeying for advantage in elections that will decide control of the House and Senate.

To that end, both parties have a distinct political agenda. Democrats say they will pressure the Republicans to fully embrace the Sept. 11 commission's 41 recommendations or face the political consequences.

Republicans in both chambers intend to use their power to schedule legislation in an effort to put Democrats on the spot. In the House, the majority plans a vote this month on the Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage and will force floor fights over abortion, taxes and reforms to the legal system. In the Senate, Democrats say they expect a floor vote this week on a Constitutional amendment barring flag desecration.

"We should be dealing with the security of the American people and the Republicans appear to be poised to use the remaining time to score political points," Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota said in an interview.

It is unclear how long Congress will remain in session with all House members and one-third of the Senate facing re-election. Though adjournment is now scheduled Oct. 1, lawmakers are likely to stay in the capital until mid-October with the prospect of a post-election lame duck session becoming a distinct possibility.

But in the next pivotal weeks, Republican officials in the House and Senate say much of the time will be devoted to the intelligence changes called for in the Sept. 11 report. "It will be all 9/11, all the time," said Bob Stevenson, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist.

When the commission report was issued late in July, Republican officials in the House indicated they did not expect to move legislation this year. But commission members and relatives of those killed on Sept. 11 joined Democrats in calling for swifter action and the Senate indicated it would also move ahead, putting momentum behind the recommendations.

A rare series of August hearings was conducted on the findings and a bipartisan group of senators is expected to introduce one version of legislation incorporating the recommendations early this week. Both Republicans and Democrats expect legislation to rapidly reach the floor with the chief political fight coming over how far the proposals go toward fulfilling the commission report.

Democrats and some Republicans say Congress must accept all the recommendations. Other Republicans say that while Congress must approve a sweeping set of changes, it will first take aim at the recommendations that have the most direct impact on national security.

"You have to move quickly on the things that will make us safer immediately," said Stuart Roy, a spokesman for House Majority Leader Tom DeLay. "We are not going to let those things bog down."

Republicans also say the intelligence legislation could contain elements traditionally opposed by some Democrats, such as capital punishment and immigration restrictions, forcing lawmakers to choose between those provisions and the overall bill.

Congress appears to be moving with less urgency on the suggestion by the commission that the House and Senate change the way they oversee the intelligence and homeland security operations. The Senate has created a working group to explore changes such as creating a new joint intelligence committee with broad new powers. But many lawmakers and aides expect that the reorganization covering the executive branch will come first.

With the focus on national security issues, Congress is unlikely to pass all of its 13 separate spending bills by the start of the new fiscal year Oct. 1. Just one, the Pentagon bill, has been sent to the president so far. Lawmakers also expect to move quickly on homeland security spending, considering changes in how money is distributed, based on the threats facing large metropolitan areas. Lawmakers could decide to combine many of the other measures into a single bill or could choose to continue spending at this year's level and complete the bills after the election.

Mr. Daschle said Dr. Frist told him that he intends to try to hold a vote this week on the constitutional amendment to ban flag burning. The proposal has passed repeatedly in the House but has consistently fallen short in the Senate. Yet the issue can cause problems in an election year for lawmakers such as Mr. Daschle, who is running for re-election in a conservative state, as well as the Democratic ticket of Senators John Kerry and John Edwards.

In the House, Mr. Roy said a vote on the same-sex marriage amendment would occur this month. The Republican leadership also intends to schedule a vote on a measure prohibiting courts from hearing challenges to the wording of the Pledge of Allegiance and will consider a series of bills aimed at limiting lawsuits.

The outlook is less certain for a measure that many lawmakers consider the most important of the year — a highway and transportation bill packed with billions of dollars for local road and bridge projects. President Bush has said he would veto any measure that exceeds his spending target and House Republican leaders are reluctant to get into a showdown so close to the election. If lawmakers are unable to reach a deal, they will have to extend the current program at existing spending levels.

The House and Senate are also in negotiations over a corporate tax measure intended to provide tax relief to businesses that now face some trade penalties due to action by the World Trade Organization. That bill also could provide a vehicle to buy tobacco growers out of a Depression-era quota system, an initiative sought by tobacco-state lawmakers, in combination with giving the Food and Drug Administration the power to regulate tobacco.

Lawmakers are also expected to move quickly to provide emergency money for hurricane relief in Florida, with a vote on between $1.5 billion and $2 billion in aid coming this week.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Emails have been sent, more to follow!

that's the spirit!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

kick the fuckers while they're down.

Thats the spirit!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats fuckin gay WTF does the AWB have to do with HURRICANES?

It is convienent legislation to tack an amednment on that no one will want to veto or kill.  Clear on that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Thats the spirit!

And that's my kind and merciful side showing  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

kick the fuckers while they're down.

Thats the spirit!

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#39]
bump in preperation for tom.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It is convienent legislation to tack an amednment on that no one will want to veto or kill.  Clear on that?

The House judiciously protects its role as the originator of all appropriation legislation.  It rarely if ever considers a spending bill that originates in the Senate.  IF the Senate adds an amendment to an emergency FEMA funding bill, it would throw it into conference and that won't happen..........CLEAR on that??

The very notion that a straight spending bill could be used as a vehicle to amend the AWB is absurd.  Rules in both houses would preclude it not to mention a half dozen committee and sub-committee chairs that would go ape shit if anyone tried.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#41]
congress comes back today!

\/
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#42]
^^^^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top