Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 12:31:50 PM EDT
Yesterday met with the agent I'd been corresponding with by email for a while.

In course of getting to know each other we found out she's a shooter too and discussions turned to other things along those lines.  She said, "You should have been up here around Y2K, oh my God were people stocked up and ready for anything."

She told me a story of showing a house around that time to a California woman looking to relocate.

During the course of poking around this house she discovered a door.  Opening it she found that there was a steel door behind it.  Naturally curious she opened that door and discovered what was an basic airlock/shower combo.  Opening the steel door beyond led to a small shelter with provisions, bunk beds, toilet and a fresh air vent system to the outside.

I'm laughing my ass off at this point thinking how much I'd like a similar setup.

My agent said that the women from California was so absolutely freaked out by the sight of this shelter (she refused to set foot in it) that she RAN from the house saying "I can't deal with this."

My agent's response to the shelter.  "It was a nice setup.  Good to be prepared."

I think I'm going to fit in well up here.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My agent said that the women from California was so absolutely freaked out by the sight of this shelter (she refused to set foot in it) that she RAN from the house saying "I can't deal with this."

What the hell?  So many Americans are freakin' wimps now.  They see something a little different or "outside their comfort zones" and they flip out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be hopefully looking for a new house this year and I have wondered what an agent would say if I told them I was looking for a nice house, preferably with a bomb shelter in the premeses!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell?  So many Americans are freakin' wimps now.  They see something a little different or "outside their comfort zones" and they flip out.

the irony being "outside their comfort zones" tends to be what will keep them alive during an emergency.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I figured the story was about Zen and his missle silo full of nubile young 18 year olds.

But freaking out Calif. whimps is almost as good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Everybody love a conservative California transplant until they start forming HOAs, demanding that all the roads be widened and paved and starting bond issues because the elementary school doesn't have a girls twirling team.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
A house like that sounds good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Everybody love a conservative California transplant until they start forming HOAs, demanding that all the roads be widened and paved and starting bond issues because the elementary school doesn't have a girls twirling team.

That's one reason I picked northern MT.  I figure that a lot of the libtards that love this place so much in the summer won't survive a Rocky Mountain winter and will GTFO shortly after.  I for one love snow and cold weather.

This conservative California refugee would live in a cardboard box under an overpass before dealing with an HOA.

A narrow, rough dirt road discourage those city folks in their $60,000 SUV's because (gasp) they might get them dirty or (eek) scratched.

As for the twirling team... my kids are with their mom in San Diego.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesnt everyone have something like that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top