Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 5:13:44 AM EDT
I won't claim to be knowledgeable about military tactics, but I think we need to learn a huge lesson from the way these suckers attack!

Giant Hornet Attack

Eric A. Mayer  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I won't claim to be knowledgeable about military tactics, but I think we need to learn a huge lesson from the way these suckers attack!

Giant Hornet Attack

Eric A. Mayer  

The Japanese Giant Hornet (Vespa mandarinia japonica), things are farking huge!  The Japanese bees though kill them by "cooking" them!

The  Japanese giant hornet,  Vespa mandarinia japonica, preys on other species of bees and wasps. When a solitary hunter finds a nest, it marks it with a secretion from its van der Vecht gland. Other hornets in the area congregate to the area, and they begin  a mass attack on the colony. While they are efficient at wiping out hives of the introduced  European honeybee  Apis mellifera (they are killed at rates as high as 40 per minute), the native Japanese honeybee,  Apis cerana japonica, has an interesting  defense against the predatory hornet! The Japanese honeybees can detect the hornet's secretion, and attack incoming hornets en masse. With approximately 500 honeybees surrounding the hornet in a tight ball, the temperature within the cluster rises to 47º C (117º F), which is above the upper lethal limit range of 44-46 degrees for the hornet. This temperature is too high for the hornet, which quickly expires, but does not harm the honeybees.This temperature does not aversely affect the honeybees because their upper lethal limit is slightly higher, 48-50 degrees.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
What a massacre!!!

Thanks for the clip
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I think your link crashed their page.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:15:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate bugs!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn! Those things are so freaking big they mounted a video camera on one's back!

Ugly mo fo's, too!

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Did I hear a HUEY in the first minute of the film?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The lesson for Iraq, of course, is that we need to breed a type of super-solder, five times the size of an Iraqi insurgent, with huge mandibles to rip off the insurgent's heads, and wings.

Indeed, there is much we can learn from the insect world.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
all it takes is one scout

recon rules, scouts out!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Who was it that said "A soldier is a rifleman first"? What we need is for every soldier to be a trained sniper first. Those that can't shoot can take over as heavy gunners or SAW operators. But each solder should be given the training and equipment for precision shooting. IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top