Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:10:04 PM EDT
I believe the " conservative religious" are going to lose this fight.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/04/opinion/cardona-romney-iowa/?hpt=us_mid

Tuesday night's tight contest for the top spot in the Iowa Republican caucuses reflects the ongoing tension that exists within the Republican Party.

This struggle between the conservative religious voters –– whose voice is strong and loud in Iowa and was represented by Rick Santorum –– and the more moderate, mainstream voters, represented by Mitt Romney, is indicative of a fight for the soul of the Republican Party.

What is so interesting is that four years ago, Romney's 25% share of the vote was not nearly enough to give him the victory. But this year, that same 25% is enough to keep him alive.

While his campaign will spin that he was not really playing in Iowa, he cannot be totally happy, because the Iowa results cannot be read as anything than a continued rejection of Romney by conservative GOP voters.

Regardless, as long as the anybody-but-Romney vote is split among several candidates, and the longer most of them stay in the race, the better it is for Romney –– who can thereby win primaries with far less than a majority.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a fight that EVERYBODY is going to lose....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The war within the political "right" will be between the religious busy bodies and the Libertarian element, CNN got it wrong.  As more seniors die off the Libertarian element will ultimately run the party.  Problem is it will be too late to save the country by then.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
One does not have to be religious to be conservative in thier viewpoints.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The war within the political "right" will be between the religious busy bodies and the Libertarian element, CNN got it wrong.  As more seniors die off the Libertarian element will ultimately run the party.  Problem is it will be too late to save the country by then.

Yep.

The religious right is not the direction of this country - the GOP would be wise to learn this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]

The GOP needs to focus on what matters in 2012...the economy and foreign policy.

This is not a time to be distracted by "social issues".
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Slave_A used to troll the shit out of people that would post stuff like this,  his replacements will be along shortly to tell you how wrong you are,   in the meantime I believe I already have the subscription to this newsletter so there is no need to add me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Slave_A used to troll the shit out of people that would post stuff like this,  his replacements will be along shortly to tell you how wrong you are,   in the meantime I believe I already have the subscription to this newsletter so there is no need to add me.

Slave_A's ilk has yet to reach his measure and dedication.  I thought at first he was just a consistent but over he convinced me actually believes wholeheartedly what he posted.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 The GOP needs to focus on what matters in 2012...the economy and foreign policy.

This is not a time to be distracted by "social issues".

This.
Bill Clinton knew this and he cleaned house... without losing any time on having his knob cleaned.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Leave it to CNN to cast it as religious nuts versus mainstream moderates.  The fact is a lot of conservatives don't like Romney for a number of issues, but obviously haven't picked a candidate yet.  Santorum benefited at least as much from not being the front runner for so longer.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope you are wrong. I Country is at stake here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top