Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 8:41:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2004 7:49:49 AM EST by PrivateJoker]

Ok, Our Anniversary is coming up, and I want to send my Wife and her Mother to an All-Day Spa sort of thing. I know that an Anniversary gift should be a romantic "Just-the-two-of-us" sort of a thing, but she was kind enough to get my NFL Sunday Ticket for my present, and I wanted to give her something she would really want as well.

So the question is two-fold:

1) What the good and the Bad things to look for when setting up an appointment with one of the Spa joints? What sorts of "services" are worth paying for? Any general advice in what makes you ladies happy when going to these places.

2) Where is a good place in the Virginia/Maryland area to send them? Or is there some kind of online "SPA Locator" that I can use?

Thanks for the help!
(For you guys lurking here, keep it clean eh? )
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:57:23 AM EST
I personally like larger spas - here in CA we have burke williams and Amadeus which are large, upscale chains. I am not one for the little local quaint ones that pump Yanni music into the room while I am getting a massage. That is just me though - your wife may prefer the smaller ones. I did want to say that my husband got me an all day spa package for our anniversary ...as sweet as it was it was too much for one day. It was cool because it included a gourmet lunch...but man it made for a long day. Instead of being able to get a massage and just relax and unwind I felt like I was on a schedule...like hurry up and get your massage you have to get to your facial...hurry up get that done you have to get to... OOGAH! If I were to do it again I would split it up into 2 days.

Also I don't know if you have kids or not - but having to rush home to relieve the babysitter then back to mommy duty immediately also took away from the wonderful day. So if you do have kids maybe give her the whole day to enjoy...spa then out to dinner. If you don't have kids then no problem!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:37:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 11:38:32 AM EST by SigZiggy]
Oooohhh, you got Sunday ticket you lucky dog! All that color coordinating paid off!!!

A spa is a great idea! You could even do a half day for her at the spa of choice (I will start looking some up in your area) and then plan a romantic dinner afterwards...and don't forget to stop at Victorias Secret or Fredericks to get her a little something to wear after dinner .........ahhhhhh, romance.......

OK. Back to the spa treatment.....one thing to probably NOT schedule is a hair cut if she has a regular person that does that. Even if you stay away from anything involving the hair...a facial, manicure, pedicure and massage can fill a half-day or more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:49:54 AM EST
Here are a couple of links for you to get started...

Maryland Spa Index

Virginia Spa Index

One more thing, body wraps are nice and relaxing too and sometimes come with a massage afterwards. Plus us womenz like body wraps 'cuz it makes us look skinnier...er, toned even if for only a day or so.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do get a body wrap, and she asks why you chose it, tell her you heard "it is incredibly relaxing"...do not...I repeat...DO NOT say you heard "it would make you look skinny"
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:56:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 11:56:46 AM EST by Hokie]
When the person asks you at the end of the massage if you plan on tipping....

SAY YES
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:27:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hokie:

SAY YES

Excellent point Hokie!

Take care of the tip when you pick up the certificate, and make sure to let your wife know everything is taken care of so she doesn't have to worry about anything but getting there, being pampered, then leaving to reward you for planning such a wonderful gift.

Man, you are SO getting laid for this one!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:46:47 PM EST

SAY YES

Thread from the past... I still say he was a man-whore.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:55:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By wedge1082:

SAY YES

You guys need spankings We are trying to be romantic here
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:38:44 PM EST
a tidbit i picked up a few weeks ago

for my sister's birthday, her hubby planned a surprise party and sent her to the spa for the morning to be pampered--great idea--except that she had gone as is, gotten a facial, etc, and got home to a house full of guests, with her hair all up and messy

like DpC said, give your wife time to shower and relax between activities--will be a better overall experience
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:38:53 PM EST
My husband bought a package at Elizabeth Arden Red Door Salon. I went to the one in Reston, VA. I liked the massage--the masseur was great--and facial best.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been not having to drive home afterward. I was relaxed and I felt great, but then I had to deal with traffic and drive home.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:14:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 4:30:16 PM EST by Hokie]

SAY YES

sorry, shameless sarcasm there, Wedge busted me!

But Sig-Zig is most correct, cover allllll bases there. Then great her at home with a Rose n' some bubbly. Some little attention will go a long way. Some music....square the kids away if you have them....make dinner and *clean up* after dinner. Have her relax on the couch with a copy of her favorite magazine or book. Let her unwind right up till bedtime.

Then rock her socks off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:28:54 PM EST
Yep! Cover alllllllll bases and you will surely get to cover alllllll bases
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:36:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 4:37:11 PM EST by Persephone]

Originally Posted By 9X19:
My husband bought a package at Elizabeth Arden Red Door Salon. I went to the one in Reston, VA. I liked the massage--the masseur was great--and facial best.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been not having to drive home afterward. I was relaxed and I felt great, but then I had to deal with traffic and drive home.

COOL! I was going to suggest that place. I got my two best friends a gift cert for Christmas a few years back. I've never been, but they said it was nice. It's good to hear that they weren't just trying to be nice.

Oh, and you can check them out online www.reddoorsalons.com/

PS, CAUTION!!!! It's right next door to Tiffany's
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:49:33 AM EST
UPDATE!

Well, In my efforts to find out what day that her and her mother were available (so I could schedule something) she very quickly discovered what I was up to!

She said a friend of hers went to the Lansdowne Resort Spa and apparently had a wonderful time. So she said she wanted to go there. I poked around the site and decided I wanted to get her and her mom the 4 hour treatment. In a way, Im glad she found out, because she specifically wanted this and that, and was ridicoulously excited. So I did a very brave thing.....

"Honey, here is my Credit Card Number... Get whatever you want, and please go all out because I don't want to to come home saying 'I wish I would have do this or that.' This is my present to you."

They are going on Sunday, so I'm gonna have to go to the range to keep my mind off how much she is going to cost me
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:02:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By PrivateJoker:
UPDATE!

Well, In my efforts to find out what day that her and her mother were available (so I could schedule something) she very quickly discovered what I was up to!

She said a friend of hers went to the Lansdowne Resort Spa and apparently had a wonderful time. So she said she wanted to go there. I poked around the site and decided I wanted to get her and her mom the 4 hour treatment. In a way, Im glad she found out, because she specifically wanted this and that, and was ridicoulously excited. So I did a very brave thing.....

"Honey, here is my Credit Card Number... Get whatever you want, and please go all out because I don't want to to come home saying 'I wish I would have do this or that.' This is my present to you."

They are going on Sunday, so I'm gonna have to go to the range to keep my mind off how much she is going to cost me

Man's reply:
Dude, are you insane? You gave her your credit card?...you are in SO much trouble!

Ladie's reply:
I'm sure she won't spend too much, woman have great self-control when it comes to money...after all, you made her happy and that is what truly matters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:08:08 AM EST

UPDATE!

WOW!! You are a sweetie! You'll be rewarded, I am sure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:24:26 AM EST

SAY YES

sorry, shameless sarcasm there, Wedge busted me!

But Sig-Zig is most correct, cover allllll bases there. Then great her at home with a Rose n' some bubbly. Some little attention will go a long way. Some music....square the kids away if you have them....make dinner and *clean up* after dinner. Have her relax on the couch with a copy of her favorite magazine or book. Let her unwind right up till bedtime.

Then rock her socks off.

I still chuckle when I think of that thread, and if wedge hadn't busted you, I woulda!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:11:58 AM EST
I'm sure you will be greatly rewarded.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:28:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By SigZiggy:

UPDATE!

Ladie's reply:
I'm sure she won't spend too much, woman have great self-control when it comes to money...after all, you made her happy and that is what truly matters.

She is surprisingly kosher with my money, but she would clean out her account if the right shoes presented themselves?

Of course so would I if the right rifle did the same
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:29:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By cat_aclysm:

UPDATE!

WOW!! You are a sweetie! You'll be rewarded, I am sure.

Well, we ARE "trying" right now
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:35:52 AM EST
You done good!

Oh, and Happy Anniversary
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:15:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By SigZiggy:
You done good!

Oh, and Happy Anniversary www.websmileys.com/sm/party/fest39.gif

Thank You, Thank You!
Suppose I should still get a card eh?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:13:51 PM EST