Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 1:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 1:19:36 PM EDT by themadlbb]
I am curious about joining the military. It has never been anything I have ever thought of but I have recently been considering it. However, I have some physical problems and I was wondering If i did decide to join whether or not these would kep me out. Here they are, could some informed person let me know if they would hold me back from joining?

I am somewhat overweight. This is easily correctable for me.

I have a lazy right eye that I have extremely blurry vision in. When both eyes are open I see great, but if i were to only have my right eye i might be considered legally blind.

I have mild asthma. If I dont take medication, it can flare up if i perform heavy physical activity.

I have slight scoliosis of the back.

Someone please let me know what my odds are of military service. If it helps, I am an Eagle Scout and have a 3.80 GPA.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:34:37 PM EDT
Maybe the Army might be desperate enough to take you but I don't think any of the other branchs would. I know the Marine Corp would not.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:36:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By themadlbb:
I am curious about joining the military. It has never been anything I have ever thought of but I have recently been considering it. However, I have some physical problems and I was wondering If i did decide to join whether or not these would kep me out. Here they are, could some informed person let me know if they would hold me back from joining?

I have a lazy right eye that I have extremely blurry vision in. When both eyes are open I see great, but if i were to only have my right eye i might be considered legally blind.

I have mild asthma. If I dont take medication, it can flare up if i perform heavy physical activity.

Someone please let me know what my odds are of military service. If it helps, I am an Eagle Scout and have a 3.80 GPA.

Although your desire to serve is admirable, and maybe 2 of the conditions you state could be waivered/fixed, I'd say you would be a no go for recruitment into the military.

You could go to the recruiter and make sure, but it would be a waste of time.

That being said, there are other avenues for service. Are you HS or college?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:45:00 PM EDT
The athsma and the eye trouble are going to block you from military service.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:48:01 PM EDT

There is a weigh in at MEPS, not sure on standards today but I'd work on it anyway.

Do you shoot left handed? They will send you to an eye doctor for an exam. Depending on the results, you may get a waiver. My vision is horrible and I got one.

This may be the biggest obstacle. If you can't get by without meds, you can't hide it. We had a guy in basic who made through processing but had to go home after a week because he just couldn't take it.

The % of curve limit last I heard is 14%. If it isn't severe enough to cause you pain while humping a 50-100lb ruck(depending on MOS), then I wouldn't bring it up. You have to weigh the risk of injury. If they notice it, they notice it. You could get a waiver if it isn't that bad. Scoliosis will disqualify you from Airborne school.

The best advice I can give is to get in shape BEFORE you even start the process. This will help you immensely as basic training is not a personal training program. I had trouble with runs at the beginning and wished I had been better prepared. Check the APFT standards for you age group and try to meet them before you go. If you do that, you'll be a PT stud coming out of basic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:48:29 PM EDT
Yup, you are out. Look into the Foreign Service if you have college.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:10:48 PM EDT
lol, the responses i am getting are pretty much what i thought they would be. i was more curious than anything, but now im not even going to waste my time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:20:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By themadlbb:
lol, the responses i am getting are pretty much what i thought they would be. i was more curious than anything, but now im not even going to waste my time.

Thanks for taking the first step... even if it didn't work out.
Top Top