Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2014 7:16:53 PM EDT
I found a Ruger sr1911 locally for $600. I don't have a 1911 and figure I'm behind the curve. So?

ETA: Took a look at one and wasn't sold on it. Checked out a Springfield range officer though and . So that'll be the one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger

Marginal FO
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger 1911's are fantastic for that price point.  Fo all day long.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
HK TAC 45 instead.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Marginal. I left that off the poll. Fail.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 instead.

View Quote

FNX Tac 45 inbound.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 instead.

View Quote

This. But, if you only have $600.00, then FO!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 instead.

View Quote

You are comparing a 1000+ gun to a 600 gun. And this is coming from a guy who has a USP expert sitting in front of him.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]
mine's a bunny rabbit--keeps hopping regardless of what I feed her.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You are comparing a 1000+ gun to a 600 gun. And this is coming from a guy who has a USP expert sitting in front of him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 instead.

I already ordered a FN tactical. I just don't have a 1911. We could do the HK vs FN tomorrow but I gotta figure this out first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Ruger 1911? Save up and by a better 1911.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I already ordered a FN tactical. I just don't have a 1911. We could do the HK vs FN tomorrow but I gotta figure this out first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 instead.

Well I was just assuming your budget was around the 600 mark.  HK and FN Tac model are pretty much equals, with FN getting the nod if you plan to use an optic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 & suppressor instead.

View Quote

If the can wasn't in the equation, I'd just get the 1911.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 instead.

Get it nao! Good price on a good 1911
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It won't be a carry gun. I'll take it to the range or out shooting a few times a year. I know there are better 1911s. I'm just curious of my dilemma. Would you spend $600 on this gun. I carry a G22 daily and already have the FNX headed this way. But a 1911 is like a shotgun or 10/22. I feel like everyone should own one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It won't be a carry gun. I'll take it to the range or out shooting a few times a year. I know there are better 1911s. I'm just curious of my dilemma. Would you spend $600 on this gun. I carry a G22 daily and already have the FNX headed this way. But a 1911 is like a shotgun or 10/22. I feel like everyone should own one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case I say Sig scorpion, academy here in tx has/had them for $999.

Oh and the USP Tactical 45 is MUCH more sexy than the blocky FN.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Dammit. I came here for FO/NO FO and now I'm looking at all kinds of expensive 1911s. You are all evil.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a RIA 1911 Tactical when it was like 350 bucks.
Not a hiccup!  I'm real surprised tbh, it's pretty impressive for the pricepoint.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Fo. If you want a range pistol, fo for it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I absolutely love my Ruger SR1911.  It is one of my "will not ever sell" firearms.
I paid WAY over $600 for mine, but I wanted it the first year that they came out, and they were not available.  I ended up paying Gander Mountain prices.

However, I do have a 2011 SR1911 that is made the same year my son was born.  I bought it for him to have one day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm going to check it out in the morning. If I don't FO I'll order another suppressor to make up for it.

Quoted:
I absolutely love my Ruger SR1911.  It is one of my "will not ever sell" firearms.
I paid WAY over $600 for mine, but I wanted it the first year that they came out, and they were not available.  I ended up paying Gander Mountain prices.

However, I do have a 2011 SR1911 that is made the same year my son was born.  I bought it for him to have one day.

I'm guessing once I get there I'll fall for it. Being a plastic pistol guy it'd be nice to have something different.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the problem with the Ruger?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not custom  I figure that for $600 I can't go wrong but who knows. I haven't shot enough 1911 to be versed in it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#23]
For $600 it's hard to beat a Ruger...the only issue with them is their front sight is designed badly. Odds are you'll break it off. When it happens (and it will, if you spend any appreciable amount of time with it at the range), when you send it back to Ruger, have them replace it with their fiber optic front sight. That one's a lot studier. (They'll do it under warrantee/RMA, so you shouldn't pay a dime)
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm going to check it out in the morning. If I don't FO I'll order another suppressor to make up for it.

I'm guessing once I get there I'll fall for it. Being a plastic pistol guy it'd be nice to have something different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah... I started off with revolvers. I got my first semi-automatic in 1994-- a Generation 2 Glock 19.  Somehow, I made it well into my 30s before every shooting a 1911 even though I was a "gun guy" all my life.  Now I have a RIA 1911 and the Ruger SR1911.  They all live together in harmony in my gun safe.

I carry my 1911, and my wife carries my Glock 19, but I enjoy shooting both of them.  You don't have to fall firmly into either camp.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For $600 it's hard to beat a Ruger...the only issue with them is their front sight is designed badly. Odds are you'll break it off. When it happens (and it will, if you spend any appreciable amount of time with it at the range), when you send it back to Ruger, have them replace it with their fiber optic front sight. That one's a lot studier. (They'll do it under warrantee/RMA, so you shouldn't pay a dime)
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah... I started off with revolvers. I got my first semi-automatic in 1994-- a Generation 2 Glock 19.  Somehow, I made it well into my 30s before every shooting a 1911 even though I was a "gun guy" all my life.  Now I have a RIA 1911 and the Ruger SR1911.  They all live together in harmony in my gun safe.

I carry my 1911, and my wife carries my Glock 19, but I enjoy shooting both of them.  You don't have to fall firmly into either camp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna need .45 ammo now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been daily carrying mine in a Glaco Summer Comfort IWB holster and throwing it into a cheap Sentry handgun safe at home (due to having a 3 year old.)  So far, I have had no issues with the sights since 2011.

Not saying you are wrong.  I may be lucky.  My only issue has been that I've had to take a dremel polishing wheel to the hammer a couple of times to polish off a little "tarnishing" due to sweat on the side that faces my body.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've been daily carrying mine in a Glaco Summer Comfort IWB holster and throwing it into a cheap Sentry handgun safe at home (due to having a 3 year old.)  So far, I have had no issues with the sights since 2011.

Not saying you are wrong.  I may be lucky.  My only issue has been that I've had to take a dremel polishing wheel to the hammer a couple of time to polish off a little "tarnishing" due to sweat on the side that faces my body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not saying you are wrong.  I may be lucky.  My only issue has been that I've had to take a dremel polishing wheel to the hammer a couple of time to polish off a little "tarnishing" due to sweat on the side that faces my body.

Sounds like you should break it and send it in for a free upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't tempt me.  They also install ambidextrous safeties on them as an option now.  They didn't do that in 2011.  I have been looking for an excuse to send mine back to get one installed.

You mentioned needing .45 Ammo now.... honestly that is the ONLY thing that nags me about my 1911s.  I am a "caliber" minimalist.   I really didn't want to stock another handgun caliber other than 9mm.  I've got a NFA M10/9mm coming in, so 9mm is my primary handgun caliber to have on hand.

At the same time, .45ACP is GREAT.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not saying you are wrong.  I may be lucky.  My only issue has been that I've had to take a dremel polishing wheel to the hammer a couple of times to polish off a little "tarnishing" due to sweat on the side that faces my body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much rangetime though, how many rounds?

If you look at the front sight, notice how it doesn't extend past the back of the dovetail (front is muzzle side)...basically when you shoot, because it doesn't overhang the dovetail, it soft of flexes. After a while, it flexes enough to just snap off...google "ruger 1911 front sight". Plenty of hits right on the first page...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't tempt me.  They also install ambidextrous safeties on them as an option now.  They didn't do that in 2011.  I have been looking for an excuse to send mine back to get one installed.

You mentioned needing .45 Ammo now.... honestly that is the ONLY thing that nags me about my 1911s.  I am a "caliber" minimalist.   I really didn't want to stock another handgun caliber other than 9mm.  I've got a NFA M10/9mm coming in, so 9mm is my primary handgun caliber to have on hand.

View Quote

The great thing about .45 if you reload...one case is good for 15 or more reloadings So you can buy 3-400 rounds from Walmart, and so long as you're good with collecting brass you can pretty much reload and shoot indefinitely...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you look at the front sight, notice how it doesn't extend past the back of the dovetail (front is muzzle side)...basically when you shoot, because it doesn't overhang the dovetail, it soft of flexes. After a while, it flexes enough to just snap off...google "ruger 1911 front sight". Plenty of hits right on the first page...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I am not going to lie.  I haven't put a lot of rounds through this one.   I've put a few boxes through it here and there.  I've shot several cotton mouths with it, and an Obama/Biden sign.  I'm probably under 300 rounds on this one.

I see what you are saying.  I'm going to look into that.

The great thing about .45 if you reload...one case is good for 15 or more reloadings So you can buy 3-400 rounds from Walmart, and so long as you're good with collecting brass you can pretty much reload and shoot indefinitely...

Oh, I have brass for days. All of my group of friends have 1911s. We went in together and bought 4 55 gallon drums of range brass, sorted it, and cleaned it.  We are reloading 5.56, .308, 9mm, .40SW (we have a cop in the mix), and .45ACP.  We pool our resources, and distribute the results equally.  It really saves on getting components that ship ORM-D when we pool orders.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, I am not going to lie.  I haven't put a lot of rounds through this one.   I've put a few boxes through it here and there.  I've shot several cotton mouths with it, and an Obama/Biden sign.  I'm probably under 300 rounds on this one.

I see what you are saying.  I'm going to look into that.
View Quote

All the google hits indicate a) Ruger is aware of the problem but is taking a "if it ain't broke yet, don't fix it" approach, b) if/when it does break Ruger does replace it fast and for free, and c) requesting a fiber optic front sight is also generally free...so you'll be taken care of if it does break, it'll just be annoying to have to send it to Ruger and not have it for a couple weeks. That's about the only problem with it anyone's really had as near as I can tell...there are worse problems to have; if that's it, that's really not bad at all for a first attempt at a 1911.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap. Time for a progressive.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to swing by another shop on the way that has a few other 1911s just to have a solid recent comparison.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Updated OP
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#37]
For the money, you aren't going to get more features in a better 1911.  Sure, you can spend hundreds more and get a better "name" 1911, but the Ruger is a solid 1911 for the money.  I've owned 2, and am going to pick up a commander when I find one cheap.  I doubt I will sell mine as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#38]
The SR1911 is an excellent 1911. Of course, you could spend 3-4x as much for something that has to visit the manufacturer and 3 different gun smiths before it works reliably.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For the money, you aren't going to get more features in a better 1911.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Heard nothing but good things about the SR1911. They sure look nice when I've seen them in the case. Decent price, I say fo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd buy it, but I already have an colt lined up when the guy decides he wants to sell.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

FNX Tac 45 inbound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 instead.

FNX Tac 45 inbound.

You guys do realize that the .45 Auto loses all of it's awesomeness when fired out of anything other than a 1911, right?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going after a Range Officer. The sr1911 is in Keizer for any Oregon guys. $600 is a good buy on it. But my LGS said they'd get me a Springfield RO for cost.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You guys do realize that the .45 Auto loses all of it's awesomeness when fired out of anything other than a 1911, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK TAC 45 instead.

FNX Tac 45 inbound.

It regains a whole lot of awesome when targeted through an rmr and exits through a octane 45 HD.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd fo for that price, I'd rather have the Range Officer though, which is why I bought one over the Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd fo for that price, I'd rather have the Range Officer though, which is why I bought one over the Ruger.
View Quote

That's my plan. It's only $150 more and has a match barrel. The barrel would cost me $200....
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the money, you aren't going to get more features in a better 1911.

These guys know what's up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Springfield Loaded Model or Range Officer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top