Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/19/2002 7:52:37 PM EST
One of my friends from Virginia is in town here in AZ, he's 18 years old. I was going to give him one of my AR lowers to take back with him. Can anyone offer me any insight on this? Does anyone know if there's any assault weapon laws there that prohibit an 18 year old from purchasing an AR lower. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:21:15 AM EST
Unless he is a resident of your state you cannot legally transfer a firearm to him. You could have it transferred through a FFL if VA permits out of state transfers of long guns.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:09:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:35:57 AM EST
VA-gunnut: Does VA permit out of state transfers of long guns? NY is restricted to contiguous states.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:41:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:50:44 AM EST
Does VA permit VA residents to purchase/transfer firearms out of state?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:14:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:04:23 AM EST
As far as federal law is concerned, you can give your friend that AR lower while he's there, but it has to go through an AZ FFL. Effectively, your friend is buying a long gun in AZ as a VA resident, which (federally) is OK. Basically, it's still an interstate transaction so it has to go through an FFL either at the AZ end or the VA end (but not both for long guns at least). I am not aware of any law in VA that would proscribe this. Perhaps you would be best served by shipping that lower to his FFL in VA. Cost would be the same except the shipping.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:35:52 PM EST
Top Top