Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2001 11:36:35 PM EDT
Those of you who have an AZ CCW card passage of this bill would nearly triple the states in which your AZ CCW card is legal.

Here's the email alert I got today. D.

Message from the National Rifle Association of America

Please contact Governor Hull immediately! Pass this on to every
self-defense minded person you know.

Late yesterday, Senate Bill 1297 passed the Arizona House and Senate by
overwhelming margins. The bill
makes much needed improvements to Arizona's CCW permit reciprocity
statute. What does this mean to
permit holders? It will mean that their Arizona permit will authorize
them to carry concealed firearms in many
additional states across the country. Currently, Arizona reciprocates
with only five other states. It is my
conservative estimate that this number will grow to between 15 and 20
states if SB 1297 is signed into law.
Any permittee who travels outside of Arizona for business or leisure
appreciates the importance of this
legislation.

While the Senate and House passed the bill by overwhelming margins, I am
getting some indications from the
Governor's Office that there may be a possible veto on the horizon. One
way to avert this is by flooding Hull's
office with calls of support. Call her office at (602) 542-4331 and
respectfully ask that she "sign SB 1297;
Concealed Weapons." The administrative assistant keeps a tally of pro
and con calls. Believe it or not, Hull
and her staff look at these numbers when considering their options.

We were able to kill "mandatory storage in the home" and "gun show
loopholes" this year. Instead of simply
maintaining our position, let's make sure we gain a little ground
against the anti-freedom forces.

Please take 30 seconds out of your day to make the call and forward this
message to as many others as
possible.

Thank you.

Darren LaSorte
NRA Lobbyist for Arizona

PS: you may want to wait until tomorrow to call as the Governors V-Mail
box is full right now. Her e-mail address is [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#1]
got the number ---thanks for info will call tom.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using the info, already knew about bill, but anyway if you look into it I believe there are about 12 States that honor AZ CCW.
1. Alaska
2. Arizona
3. Arkansas
4. Idaho
5. Indiana
6. Kentucky
7. Michigan
8. Montana
9. Texas
10. Utah
11. Vermont
12. Wyoming
Call DPS for each state to verify...

John[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't read the bill, but I'm already a bit confused.

How can changing AZ statues allow us to carry in OTHER states?  AZ statues have absolutely zero authority in another state.  Changing AZ statute would only allow out of state CCW holders to carry here.  Does this bill simply change the manner in which AZ can enter into reciprocity agreements?
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey you guys,  I will call.

Do I have to live in AZ for six month to get my CCW, or do I just have to show that I plan to stay for that long.

I have taken the class, and was just getting ready to get my check, but since I have only lived here a month, would I be wasting my money?

any help would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You do not need to be an AZ resident to obtain an AZ CCW.  

By AZ law, if you do one of the following you are automatically a resident:
Place kids in school and not pay out of state tuition.

Obtain employment.

Live here for more than 6 months in a twelve month period.

Love2shoot,

What I am saying is that AZ law has no bearing on how AZ residents can carry in other states.  We can change our statutes to make it easier for CCW holders in other states to carry here.

Currently, by law, any out of state, or out of the country resident is granted all the rights of AZ residents.  Since AZ law allows open carry, anybody within the state borders can carry openly.  There is no special requirement needed.

Now, for AZ residents to be able to carry in other states, EACH state much ammend their laws to allow this.  We can only ammend our laws to affect how persons carry HERE.  We have no jurisdiction over other states.

However, we can ammend our laws to make it easier for AZ to enter into reciprocity agreements.  In that case, we establish a non-transitive trust with another single state, and for AZ residents to be able to carry concealed in multiple states would require a seperate agreement with the specified states.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Joe Blacke,

Thanks, Phew, was beginning to think I was going to have to rely on my Indiana permit there for a while.

thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]
What is happening here is an attempt by the AZ Legislature to expand their reciprocity agreements with other states to honour their CCW permits, and therefore expand the area that the AZ CCW Permit will also be effective n (make sense yet?)  Think of it like a treaty - "If we honour your permits, you will honour ours."

Of course, under Article 4, Section 2, Clause 1* of the Constitution, this should not be necessary.  Still, it will be a start of a return to classic values and ideas that have lain long forgotten.

FFZ

* "The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of hte citizens of the several States."  Under this logic, CCW's are not in any wise necessary, due to the laws of hte State of Vermont.

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I called and my wife called.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Freefire,

Yes, I understand the concept of reciprocity, and always have.  What I don't understand is this bill that is being presented.

Currently, the Director of the Arizona Department of Public Safety (Dennis Garrett) can enter into reciprocity agreements with any other state, providing certain requirements are met.  This agreement, or treaty if you will, established a one way, non transitive trust to allow citizens of one state to legally carry concealed in another, and vice versa, providing that those persons hold a valid CCW permit.

Since we (AZ) cannot pass a law that would allow us to legally carry in another state, the only thing we can do is to ammend our current laws regarding the requirements necessary before the Director of DPS can approve a reciprocity agreement.

From the first posting, it said that this bill will ammend the reciprocity laws and "It will mean that their Arizona permit will authorize
them to carry concealed firearms in many
additional states across the count".  This is not true.  The only thing that will allow AZ ccw holders to carry in other states is to:1. Enter into a binding reciprocity agreement, or 2. The other state must pass a law (such as Indiana) that grants validity to an AZ CCW permit within their state boundries, independent of any possible reciprocity agreement.

Now, if we ammend the reciprocity requirements, but those who have the authority to enter into a binding agreement, never seek or authorize any further reciprocity agreements, we STILL cannot carry in another state.

Basically, all I can find is that this bill would allow the relaxing of requirements to enter into a reciprocity agreement, but there is no requirement that those in charge must actively pursue and enter such agreements.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#11]
For the record, I pulled up SB1297, and I don't see ANYWHERE it authorizes changes to the reciprocity laws.  It is a bill to create an Arizona Historical Society.

[url]http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/45leg/1r/bills/sb1297p.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top