Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2004 1:35:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 2:01:21 PM EST by gvidon212]
This was posted over at GNet. I am not sure of the truthfulness of the claim but if it is true it means all the more than we must be on our toes. Those in the political know, please interpret the validity and seriousness of this situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) has once again introduced legislation to renew the so-called "assault weapons" ban. S.2498 was introduced last week, and, by using a "nuclear option" referred to as Rule XIV, has gotten the bill placed on the Senate calendar.

As a Senate educational article on the subject puts it,

"Most bills are routinely referred to the committee with appropriate jurisdiction as soon as they are introduced. But if a Senator plans to introduce a bill and believes that the committee to which it would be referred will be unsympathetic, Rule XIV permits the Senator to bypass the standing committee system altogether and have the bill placed directly on the Calendar of Business, with exactly the same formal status the bill would have if it had been the subject of extensive hearings and exhaustive mark-up meetings in committee."

The article goes on to say that this option is considered a last resort by Senators, because it "undermines the committee system as a whole and because they do not wish to encourage a practice that can be used against their own committees."

So, Sen. Feinstein and her 11 co-sponsors (the usual suspects) have thrown down the gauntlet, and a true showdown is shaping up. Once again, we must contact our Senators, ESPECIALLY those who voted against the AWB renewal amendment several months ago, to stand firm in their opposition to this ill-conceived and proven ineffective idea. Because the AWB renewal has enough votes in the Senate to pass, a filibuster is likely the only way it can be stopped there

The Senators who voted against the recent amendment renewing the ban need our support and encouragement to stand their ground, as it the rhetoric put forth by the anti-gun side will undoubtedly be intense and viscous.

It is unclear when S.2498 will come up for consideration, so let's get busy NOW. You can see how your Senators voted recently on the AWB here. You can find your Senators' contact info here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:38:23 PM EST
I think this is old. The senate is not in session right now and this sounds like the last one they tried.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:39:27 PM EST
A bill that the Senate may produce, means nothing unless the House
has the same exact bill.
Does anyone see the same exact bill coming out of the Commitee in the House?
No.
Its dead.

R.I.P.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:39:46 PM EST
the senate can pass all the bills they want related to the AWB.

they still have to get it through the house and prez sig in the next 4 days to do anything about it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:39:59 PM EST
Yeah, this is way old. From a few months ago at least.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:41:32 PM EST
If it does die, how long will it be before they can reinstate another? My big concern is that if this does die like it should they will slip something even worse in afterwards. I would definatly prefer a toothless bill to one that compromises my right to own AW in any configuration.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:42:12 PM EST
If it is indeed old then I am going to be a very happy shooter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:44:03 PM EST
Correct... OLD

And as long as they AND the House don't vote on it before end-of-session, it will mean nothing...

At the end of the session, the slate is 'cleared' and all bills that have not passed both houses die.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:45:50 PM EST
Will it come up this week for vote?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:47:35 PM EST
The house is coming back to vote on Hurricane relief. If it is going to happen, it will be tacked on to that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:47:44 PM EST
Old.

6/3/2004:
Introduced in the Senate. Read the first time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under Read the First Time.
6/4/2004:
Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 545.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:48:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By gvidon212:
If it is indeed old then I am going to be a very happy shooter.

Just did a bit of research. This happened back on June 7th. Found it at AWBan Sunset. Near the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:51:20 PM EST
But, a few emails wouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:51:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:06:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By anothergene:
That witch need to get laid.........

If I wasn't married I would take one for the team.

and yes....I would Put It In Her Pooper And Post Pictures!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:04:54 PM EST
My democratic senator, Harry Reid of NV sent me a letter last week assuring me that the 94 is 100% dead! I have always sent letter after letter for years now about the 94 and he took it upon himself to send me a letter telling that it is 100% dead and will not be voted upon. He is a middle ground gun owner and I appreciate his letter but I will not vote for him!
Ann
Top Top