Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 12:01:03 PM EDT
When the awb sunsets will it be east coast time?  Is there are federal time????

Will the east coasters get to play with there stuff 3 hours before the west coasters?

I'm in Hawaii, 6 hours behind east coast, will I have to be last and wait til midnite local time before i can put evil features on my stuff???

Yes this is a serious question.  Hehehehe

Stone
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it is zulu time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Time zones are recognized by the government, so expiration will be 12:00 AM Sept 13 in your current time zone.  Look at voting.  The polls don't close in CA at 7:00 PM EASTERN.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is that it's EASTERN time.  Voting is one thing.  Federal laws are another.  When the ban expires in Washington, DC, it's no longer a law.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anybody actually contacted the BATFE to get their official take on when the ban ends? The law says the ban ends 10 years from the day it was enacted - that could give at least 24 hours of latitude to when the actual expiration is depending on interpretation.

This might be an important point since I imagine people will want to post pictures of their new noban rifles and sunset parties at midnight. Those time-stamped posts are going to suck if BATFE decides that their interpretation of the sunset is different from yours (though I can't imagine that BATFE would be interested in prosecuting anyone over it).
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I understand, when midnight eastern time hits, the ban expires everywhere (well, everywhere except occupied states).

Quoted:
Has anybody actually contacted the BATFE to get their official take on when the ban ends? The law says the ban ends 10 years from the day it was enacted - that could give at least 24 hours of latitude to when the actual expiration is depending on interpretation.

I did contact the ATF today regarding whether the ban expired on the 13th or the 14th... the person I spoke to said the 13th.

www.awbansunset.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=3090&page=2

While I suppose the 24 hours of latitude issue is a possibility, I wouldn't worry about it.  The relevant wording of the AWB says:

This title and the amendments made by this title--

(1) shall take effect on the date of enactment of this  Act; and

(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10  years after that date.

That seems pretty clear to me.  If we establish that the "date of enactment" was 9/13/94, the "date that is 10 years after that date" is 9/13/04.  As soon as we hit the 13th, even the first second of the 13th, we have reached "the date that is 10 years after" the date the ban was enacted.

--Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I did contact the ATF today regarding whether the ban expired on the 13th or the 14th... the person I spoke to said the 13th.

I don't think it is a major issue to begin with as I can't imagine BATFE prosecuting anyone for it regardless; but first rule in dealing with ATF (or BATFE) is if you didn't get it in writing it doesn't mean a thing.

I've called ATF before and received three different and conflicting opinions to the same question. So I am always skeptical until they put it in writing. Hopefully, this is something they will clarify themselves; but if the grabbers are saying it will sunset on the 13th (and they are), then it seems likely that is the date.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't think it is a major issue to begin with as I can't imagine BATFE prosecuting anyone for it regardless; but first rule in dealing with ATF (or BATFE) is if you didn't get it in writing it doesn't mean a thing.

I get the impression that an accurate E-Day is a bigger concern for FFLs, and some of them seem to be indicating they'll be waiting until the 14th, or even the 15th(!) just to be absolutely sure.

--Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
oh come on. what do you think the ATF is going to catch you arrest you charge you with a crime and convict you in between the 3 hour time change?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This title and the amendments made by this title--

(1) shall take effect on the date of enactment of this  Act; and

(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10  years after that date.

That seems pretty clear to me.  If we establish that the "date of enactment" was 9/13/94, the "date that is 10 years after that date" is 9/13/04.  As soon as we hit the 13th, even the first second of the 13th, we have reached "the date that is 10 years after" the date the ban was enacted.

--Mike

What he said. . .    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top