Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2010 2:14:26 PM EDT
I was told that they ran an internet special for 24.95 month for first 12 months.  A local line would run me around 20 a month.  My bill is 76.19.  The local line ends up at 34.28 and they charge the full amount of 42.95 for internet.  I just realize they did the same to me last month.  I did not pick up on it thinking it was the fee for equipment that brough the total so high and I paid.  I am so Mad.......................What can I do.  I have never thought of sueing somebody in my life.  I want to now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried calling them and CALMLY explained the situation?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was told that they ran an internet special for 24.95 month for first 12 months.  A local line would run me around 20 a month.  My bill is 76.19.  The local line ends up at 34.28 and they charge the full amount of 42.95 for internet.  I just realize they did the same to me last month.  I did not pick up on it thinking it was the fee for equipment that brough the total so high and I paid.  I am so Mad.......................What can I do.  I have never thought of sueing somebody in my life.  I want to now.

woah there buddy, why not just call AT&T and see what's up before you get a lawyer. They'll probably refund you.

Have you even bothered to call them yet? or did you just go straight to arfcom
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You should definitely overreact, that always works well in these situations!
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
AT&T is screwing me, too.  THey promised I would pay around 95/month for phone with unlimited long-distance, dsl, and direct tv.  I ended up paying around 140.  The girl who set up the deal would answer emails immediately BEFORE I signed up. After I signed up she would not return emails or phone calls.  I've called several times about the fact that they ALSO have been billing me EVERY month for long distance.  They tell me every month, "oh sorry, that's a mistake."  The credited the charges every month for several months.  NOW, they simply added an additional fee of around $12 for the long distance calls instead of itemized billing per minute.  They are crooked as hell.  I have several emails documenting the long distance issue and am considering submitting a complaint to the Governor's office of consumer affairs.  They lied to me.  They are pure evil, you can bet on it.  I wish I had kept cable/cable internet.  FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ATT.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
AT&T is notorious for doing this.  They promise you one thing and charge you another.
If you call them on this, they will honor your deal, in the form of a refund.

I find that every 9 months to a year my bill is mysteriously higher than normal.
I call , it is corrected, and is fine for 9 moths or so.

Probably 90% of people just pay the higher amount, and AT&T gets away with it.

DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT

CALL THEM ON IT!
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Phone/cable companies are allowed/required by big gov to charge all kinds of extra fees.  Those numbers are very rarely known by customers until they get their actual bill.  You have to read the fine print on your contracts/offers and even then that probably won't show everything.  Sad thing is some of these special fees they collect don't get used for what they were intended for.  Anyway, call AT&T and they will correct it.  AND they aren't the only ones to have billing issues - I've had them with Dish Network and know of others who have had issues with Direct TV.  It's usually as a result of promotional rates not being applied or when the "free XYZ for so many months" runs out and then you get charged for it (even though you didn't ask for it) until you call and cancel.   Call, talk to them in a peaceful manner and odds are you will get a peaceful resolution.  And this is Arfcom, you don't get a lawyer, you just FO!
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
AT&T is big on that. "Upgraded" my DSL to 6mb and I am still only getting the 1.5 service. Its not my area. I am literally across the street. my neighbors get the 6mb speeds. I dont. Turns out whiel I was "upgraded" on my billing. I wasnt on my service.

They took in all the scummy ghetto employees from Bellsouth. Be careful giving out your CC# to any of them on the phone. CC fraud is not unheard of  among their employees as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You think they are F-ing you? try working for them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you tried calling them and CALMLY explained the situation?

Well they were closed this week-end so I called them today and I had seriously cooled down.  Nothing worked.  They said that the promotion will start next month.  I told them that is not acceptable.  They also never credited me for the 10 days internet did not work.  I told them I wanted the situation rectified now.  When I called they never said promotion would not start for first 2 months.  The guy was like well the other customers pay. Big corporations have been sticking it to people for years now and most just take it.  It is a sad situation.  I will go to court and call local tv station.  The supervisor on the phone was pretty much like "hey this is the way it is and there is nothing you can do about it".  He is probably right but I will surely try.

Be warned about AT&T.  The funny part is that I never liked them because all my friends have Iphones which keep cutting off our conversations because they AT&T has such poor coverage.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
AT&T is notorious for doing this.  They promise you one thing and charge you another.

I find that every 9 months to a year my bill is mysteriously higher than normal.

CALL THEM ON IT!

I did.  They refused to do something about the current bill
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Watch out with AT&T.  They outsource much of their direct sales; both their call centers and door to door sales are outsourced by them in most cases (and to companies that scam workers).
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#14]
AT&T fucked me for ten years.

Well...in a way.
We had their service forever. We decided to go to another company, and cancel AT&T. They called us up and wanted to know why we were dropping them. I told them we found a cheaper deal.

They offered to deeply discount our service.

I told them they could have done that years ago, and what they were saying was that they had been overcharging me for years. No, they said. They were offering me a discount to keep a loyal customer.

Hung up on them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

CALL THEM ON IT!

QFT. AT&T  trys this all the time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Law Suit over $100..?... you may need to move back to New York City.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#18]
don't worry, they are the operating contractor for the Total Information Awareness Network so they are f____ing all of us equally as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
My AT&T story:

I moved across town and wanted to keep my phone number.  I found out that my new place didn't have a landline, so I agreed to pay the hardware installation fee for the new place (around $35).  They didn't come out and do the job on the date we had set up.  I called them (from my work phone) and they told me that they had tried to come out, but they couldn't find my new home because I hadn't given them the correct address.  When I tried to reschedule, they told me that repeat installation attempts would be charged at a higher fee, namely $140.

I freaked out, and told the woman on the line to immediately cancel my AT&T services.  I told her I could get a cell phone for 4 months for the same cost as their installation fee.  She could hear in my voice how angry I was, and kept telling me not to hang up or my services would not be ended, and I would get another bill.  To terminate my AT&T services, she went through my ID info, including my address(s).  When she read off my billing address, I asked her why her service guy said I had given them the wrong address, when she had just read off my correct (new) address.  She had no answer for that.  I believe it was just another corporate shakedown, a lie she was instructed to say.

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top