Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 12:11:14 PM EDT
I'm feeling especially spiteful today.  My family has received some very frustrating news over the past few of months.  Worst of all is that my father was given 3 months to live by the Mayo Clinic in June of this year.  Well, September was the 'deadline', sorry, and he is still with us, but bed-ridden.  That is not my point.  

Our wireless company, which started as Cingular and is now AT&T has decided to drop us as customers.  Why?  Because we cost them too much money.  That's right.... we pay our bills on time and even pay for their mistakes in billing (We wanted NO texts, down-loads, etc., but these 'benefits' were never shut off, as we asked when we started the account and had to take it as our mistake by paying the extra bill).  Actually, we got 4 phones and keep 3 here in AL.  The 4th phone is in IA with my parents so we can maintain contact with them.  $10 per month for unlimited wireless phone calls, no down-side, right?!?

Here's the catch.  My parents live in an area that uses another carrier's towers.  We asked about this when we opened the account in August 2006, but were told by Cingular, that wireless to wireless was NOT a problem.  So far it was not a problem, not until we started making daily calls on my father's health status.  Now we cost too much money and AT&T is dropping us from our contract, because we cost them too much money and according to Loraine, "we do not want customers like you and we hope you do tell others like you not to do business with us."!  Do I need to say how unconcerned she was about my family and father?

I hate being a reactionary and just doing something on the spur of the moment by being spiteful, but this just pisses me off!  Loraine would also NOT let my wife talk to her supervisor, because she said that it would "escalate" the problem and she handled her section the way she wanted.  I really hope they recorded this session, but doubt it, or that it would survive if it was recorded.  I only got to hear it on speakerphone.

I would not let my friends do business with a bad used-car salesperson, so why not warn them about AT&T.  What do ya'll think?  By the way, I am not a tearcher, I can use the spellcheck!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Court will happen

Sue them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Send them a bill for $200 per line for early termination.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
removed per coc
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Prayers sent for your Father and family.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck that petty shit. If they don't want you as a customer, you shouldn't want them as a service provider. Let it go.

Spend your time with your father, not arguing with the stinkin' phone company. They're not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This....This is an EXCELLENT idea!

Prayers for your family sent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry about your father.

It states in your contract that excessive off-network usage(roaming) can lead to early termination.

The way she spoke to you about it is completely unacceptable.

I'm a former manager of an AT&T Wireless store.

To put it simply, when you signed up for service, they mis-led you and that is completely unacceptable.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm feeling especially spiteful today.  My family has received some very frustrating news over the past few of months.  Worst of all is that my father was given 3 months to live by the Mayo Clinic in June of this year.  Well, September was the 'deadline', sorry, and he is still with us, but bed-ridden.  That is not my point.  

Our wireless company, which started as Cingular and is now AT&T has decided to drop us as customers.  Why?  Because we cost them too much money.  That's right.... we pay our bills on time and even pay for their mistakes in billing (We wanted NO texts, down-loads, etc., but these 'benefits' were never shut off, as we asked when we started the account and had to take it as our mistake by paying the extra bill).  Actually, we got 4 phones and keep 3 here in AL.  The 4th phone is in IA with my parents so we can maintain contact with them.  $10 per month for unlimited wireless phone calls, no down-side, right?!?

Here's the catch.  My parents live in an area that uses another carrier's towers.  We asked about this when we opened the account in August 2006, but were told by Cingular, that wireless to wireless was NOT a problem.  So far it was not a problem, not until we started making daily calls on my father's health status.  Now we cost too much money and AT&T is dropping us from our contract, because we cost them too much money and according to Loraine, "we do not want customers like you and we hope you do tell others like you not to do business with us."!  Do I need to say how unconcerned she was about my family and father?

I hate being a reactionary and just doing something on the spur of the moment by being spiteful, but this just pisses me off!  Loraine would also NOT let my wife talk to her supervisor, because she said that it would "escalate" the problem and she handled her section the way she wanted.  I really hope they recorded this session, but doubt it, or that it would survive if it was recorded.  I only got to hear it on speakerphone.

I would not let my friends do business with a bad used-car salesperson, so why not warn them about AT&T.  What do ya'll think?  By the way, I am not a tearcher, I can use the spellcheck!

How many times did you call in to correct your bill with them?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#9]
talking to her Manager would not of changed a thing..

its in the contract  < read the small print > that is you use more then %50 of your minutes while not on a native tower.. for 3 months in a row ..   they have the right to cancel you,.  

sorry .. them the breaks.

pull out the contract we all sign and initial but never read..     its in there ,

they will not charge you the term fee..  

what do you have?  30 days to swap your number to another provider ?

I could understand if they came up with this out of the blue..    but its all in the fine print..

sorry .

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a little on this....  we thought they should pay for their equipment also.  They seem to thing it is our fault for breaking the contract.  

Thanks for the thoughts for my father.  Had him for 43 years and still want to keep him.  Things are OK with me about his life.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Prayers sent.

Sounds like she was having a bad day.
Write down her name.
Call them back (you almost never get the same person)
Demand to speak to a supervisor. Or retentions department.

Edit dam I'm slow today
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Fuck that petty shit. If they don't want you as a customer, you shouldn't want them as a service provider. Let it go.

Spend your time with your father, not arguing with the stinkin' phone company. They're not worth it.

That about says it.  Not worth getting worked up over.

FYI (and not that it will matter) but all the cellular companies are terminating less than profitable contracts. They aren't picking on you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
That's right.  They even admit that the salespeople are a little too 'zealous' in getting customers and so tell you wireless phones on the same plan don't matter.  That's what burns me.  We asked and were not told the truth, fine print or not.  Just sucks being a consumer with a big corporation.  By the way, we were only told once, in a letter and it was to tell us we needed to find another carrier.  No other warnings, just at the end of the 3 months.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
While I feel bad for you and your family health issues, you agreed the contract...deal with it.

The contract specifically states that a certain percentage of your calls CANNOT be in roaming areas or they have the right to cut off your service. This has nothing to do with mobile to mobile, it has to do with the phone your parents have being in a roaming area.

at&t does not hate your father. They are sticking to the contract and terminating your service because you are not using it in accordance to the contract you agreed to. They have a 100% right to do this.

And for the sake of context, who the hell is "Loraine"? You just sort of threw her name in there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
You do have a contract with specified terms and duration.

I would have a chat with my lawyer and let him send a little reminder of this fact.

Then, put the phone thing on the back burner and concentrate on your father.

As much as you have needed him while growing up, he needs you now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Prayers sent.

Sounds like she was having a bad day.
Write down her name.
Call them back (you almost never get the same person)
Demand to speak to a supervisor. Or retentions department.

Edit dam I'm slow today

normally yes.

but this act is now flaged and all calls will be routed back to the same team..  

the Retention Dept ?  sorry they are no use in this case.  

the act is flaged ..   its gonna die,   sorry   ..  

your efforts are best spent find another provider to port your number over to .

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm sorry about your father.

It states in your contract that excessive off-network usage(roaming) can lead to early termination.

The way she spoke to you about it is completely unacceptable.

I'm a former manager of an AT&T Wireless store.

To put it simply, when you signed up for service, they mis-led you and that is completely unacceptable.

I disagree that he was misled. They told him mobile to mobile would be okay, and it is. The problem is that he didn't read the service agreement that says excessive roaming is cause for termination.

I do agree that the response of "Loraine" is completely unacceptable. She should be written up for it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would have a chat with my lawyer and let him send a little reminder of this fact.

What good would a lawyer do? The OP is the one who broke the terms of the contract.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Loraine is the person, 1st line supervisor we talked to at AT&T.  Do you work for AT&T?  Just asking.  What we have convinced ourselves we need as far as amenities and what we feel is fair in making a buck.  You are right.  I signed the contract, but there is now contract about letting others know how things work.  Is there?

Quoted:
While I feel bad for you and your family health issues, you agreed the contract...deal with it.

The contract specifically states that a certain percentage of your calls CANNOT be in roaming areas or they have the right to cut off your service. This has nothing to do with mobile to mobile, it has to do with the phone your parents have being in a roaming area.

at&t does not hate your father. They are sticking to the contract and terminating your service because you are not using it in accordance to the contract you agreed to. They have a 100% right to do this.

And for the sake of context, who the hell is "Loraine"? You just sort of threw her name in there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Contact the local media (news/newspaper) - they love shit like this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Then, put the phone thing on the back burner and concentrate on your father.

As much as you have needed him while growing up, he needs you now.

thats where .. believe it or not..   he loses this fight..

this restriction is in the contract.  

OP..  sorry about your father..
concentrate on your father and simply get a new provider..  

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Go to the local TV/newspapers/radio.  They love this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]
You've done the right thing.  Expose bastids for what they are.  Yeah you've got a contract but a human somewhere should make an exception in your case.  
Screw 'em.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I suck at fast replies.  I apologize for the spelling mistakes, grammar, etc. that spellcheck does not get and my slow mind allows.  Mispelled words and all - Damn vs. Dam, for example.  

Appreciate the time to take my mind off being given walking papers so suddenly.  Ya'll are great.  Again thanks for thoughts on my dad.  He is not the issue, but it just shows how people have things going on that no one knows about.  Then they find out that they have/had a direct influence on a specific situation that is no just so clear cut.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

What good would a lawyer do? The OP is the one who broke the terms of the contract.

Lawyers can usually find some language such as "extenuating circumstances" to contend with this.

It could also generate some really bad press if the media gets into it.

Also, "misrepresentation" by the salesperson is a good legal ploy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Prayers sent for your Father and family.
ditto.

Ditch Cingular and move on.  Enjoy the time you have with the family.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#28]
This has become quite the thing to do these days, lots of companies are cancelling "expensive" customers.  Whether it is in the "fine print" or not, it is a *horrible* business model to follow.  MI11B is a friend, and having off of Att&T will have consequences to me, as well.  Accordingly, as if I were not already disappointed in them for other reasons, I will allow my contract to time out.  There comes a time for everyone, business or individual, where you have a chance to stand up and do right, or be a shithead.  AT&T is being a shithead.  I don't like shitheads.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Call the local 'Problem Solvers' news team. Get them bad press if not getting it fixed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This has become quite the thing to do these days, lots of companies are cancelling "expensive" customers.  Whether it is in the "fine print" or not, it is a *horrible* business model to follow.  MI11B is a friend, and having off of Att&T will have consequences to me, as well.  Accordingly, as if I were not already disappointed in them for other reasons, I will allow my contract to time out.  There comes a time for everyone, business or individual, where you have a chance to stand up and do right, or be a shithead.  AT&T is being a shithead.  I don't like shitheads.

+1

It wouldn't have been too hard to have him come to the local AT&T store and talk about some options, like $25 or $50 for the extra usage. Even with a misrepresented contract, there should be some options that would satisfy all involved.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Loraine is the person, 1st line supervisor we talked to at AT&T.  Do you work for AT&T?  Just asking.  What we have convinced ourselves we need as far as amenities and what we feel is fair in making a buck.  You are right.  I signed the contract, but there is now contract about letting others know how things work.  Is there?

No, I don't work for at&t. I do use them as my cellular carrier though.

The problem with trying to take any action is that it is the buyer's responsibility to read the contract, not the seller's responsibility to let you know about all of the fine print. Now, that doesn't mean that it isn't morally wrong for the salesperson to not tell you about that clause in the contract, because it is. They should have told you. If I worked for them I would have told you. But, that isn't at&t's fault, it's the fault of the individual salesperson who sold you the phones to begin with.

Look at it this way, you can now sell the at&t phones, most likely for more than you paid, and use that money to pay for new phones on a new carrier. I would suggest finding out which carrier owns the towers in your parents area (most likely T-Mobile, as they are one of the only other GSM carriers in the U.S.), sign up with them, and ask about the roaming clause.

I sincerely wish you, your family and your father the best in this difficult time for you.

ETA: T-Mobile's plans are cheaper than at&t's and their customer service is lightyears ahead of everyone else. If they had better coverage where I live I would be going through them instead.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#33]
If you read your contract you will find all of the terms of termination and your limitations of using other carrier's towers.  The contract will also say that your signature affirms that you have READ your contract, that you understand its terms and will abide by them.  Just about every cellular contract also states that no employee is empowered to amend the terms of the written contract.

Lesson learned for everyone:  READ your contract.  I watch 99% of people just pencil-whip everything they sign.  A contract is in writing for a reason.  Remember - once signed - it is YOUR binding contract.  If you feel the terms are unfair - don't sign it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Kaizoku,

Thank you, seriously.  Alltel is the company in my parents' area and we can't get them here.  like I said, I am feeling very spiteful today and so made the unfair title to this thread.  It is unfair, but then I hold myself to a different set of standards than they (most {big} business) do.  Some of mine are worse!  OK, many of them.

Keith

All,

I didn't start this to bring attention to my familie's plight, but everyone on this site has just go to be the best.  Truly, thanks for the thoughts for my father.  People who believe in what is right and their individual rights are OK in my opinion*.  Rights like.... "to keep and bear arms"!

OK, IMHO*.  By the way, I hate texting and do NOT know many acronyms.  I have tried to forget the military ones that I do know! LOL  Like that will ever totally happen.  I also do not sit on any site and rarely check my E-mails more than once a day.  I am the pathetic ARFCOMer.

Keith
Just a dumb and worthless quasi Grunt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Now we cost too much money and AT&T is dropping us from our contract, because we cost them too much money and according to Loraine, "we do not want customers like you and we hope you do tell others like you not to do business with us."!  Do I need to say how unconcerned she was about my family and father?

They're a for-profit company that's interested in making money.  So, no, it doesn't surprise me that they are unconcerned with you and your family.  I wouldn't expect them to be.  I wouldn't want them to be.

There are several other wireless providers out there.  Pick one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#36]
PM sent with names, home phone numbers, mailing addresses, and bios on two AT&T directors (including owned vacation properties within US territories).

Tell them your story.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#37]
This is SOP of all the major carriers. My sprint contract says the same thing in regards to roaming. Heck it even stipulates that a certain % of your calls have to be made in your home calling area (i.e. your area code).
It sucks, but carriers can and will drop customers, Sprint did it a few months ago to over 1000 people who contacted Customer Service too much.

I also find it strange that Alltel is the only carrier in your parents area, as they are CDMA and an ATT (GSM) phone cannot roam on CDMA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top