Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 8:30:09 PM EDT
Yamaha lists the model I want for like $6,149.  In the local stores is that they price they actually sell it for?  Can you haggle?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Yamaha lists the model I want for like $6,149.  In the local stores is that they price they actually sell it for?  Can you haggle?

Have you gone to any local stores?  They might have some deals...check around.

(I have not bought an ATV, or dealt with dealers, but I did stay at an Holiday Inn Express last year.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
God that's a lot of money for something that isn't street legal!  Have you considered buying used?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The only time you can really deal is when they have last year models and they mark them down, and then it depends which dealership and the circumstances. Your best bet on savings would be to buy a 1-3 year old used one off-season that the owner has ridden only a few times and now just wants to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you in East Texas?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I second the used  suggestion 2 year old ATVs are ALOT cheaper and if you look around you can find a pristine one easily , probably cost about 60% of new
gernealy speaking around here 10% off MSRP is not too hard , very dificult to get much bewlow that though
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought 3 Hondas (2 Foreman 500's and a Rancher 400 AT)last year all at once..............The price listed was the price paid, they wouldn't come down at all
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been at the ATV thing since 1985
The one thing that seems to hold true is find the tinyiest town you possibly can that has a yamaha dealer that is within reasonable driving distance
The places in  towns around here with more that 100K population  won't budge much off MSRP
but a couple of smaller like 20-30K population  towns  the dealers there have cut me smoking deals
the difference  has been multi thousands
remeber a huge fancy dealership  has to get paid for somehow
Where the dude with 3 ATVs 2 boats and 5 street bikes in his little showroom  doesn't have to make much to stay open
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Most dealerships in my experience when buying "toys" ATVs, Dirt bikes , Street bikes, and personal watercraft will not haggle.  I dont think its so much of an issue as they dont have the room to wiggle a lower price but it seems to me that the fact that these things aren't necessities allows dealers to charge the full price.  In their minds you dont NEED this thing you WANT this thing and if you want it you're gonna PAY for it.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#9]
My local Honda dealer will come down a few hundred bucks on most models. I got $600 off the MSRP on a 05 TRX 450R in March of 2005.

Doesn't hurt to ask. At the very least I would insist that they throw in a hemet or some type of gear with the deal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:34:27 AM EDT
[#10]
the dealerships make  their money on parts and repairs, new bike sales are a very small part of their profits.  Their wiggle room is generally a few hundred off a 6K bike.  Atv's are holding their value very well so if you look for a 1-2 year old model expect to still over 4500U$ for a two year old bike.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]
i would look at this dealer.  my friend and i have both bought ATV's from here and i believe they will ship for around $200.  also add around $300 to the price for prep and dealer fees

http://www.procycleusa.com/index.cfm?page=newvehicles&catid=8&manid=2
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
There ya go.
www.procycleusa.com/index.cfm?page=newvehicles&catid=8&manid=2

Dan_Shoe,

You say you have bought from this dealer?  Their prices on new bikes are in line with what my local dealer charges me.........but the prices and stock of their new 05 and 04 models is impressive.  

How is their service? Are the bikes that are available on the internet really available when you get there?

For example, they have a 04 Honda Sport Bike, brand new, for something like 3600 off of msrp!!! That is impressive.

And you say they tag on about $300 for set up and dealer fees?

I live in Missouri near STL and am thinking about checkin' this place out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:21:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki have the lowest profit margins for the dealer. Therefore they do not like to deal too much on the price. They HAVE to make something.

Kawasaki and (sic) Polaris have the largest margins. Multi-brand dealers usually steer customers that are undecided to those two.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are you in East Texas?

Quoted:

Houston
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I bought 3 Hondas (2 Foreman 500's and a Rancher 400 AT)last year all at once..............The price listed was the price paid, they wouldn't come down at all

Must be nice getting a big, fat bonus check now and then.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:15:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to work at a kawi dealer ship.  Dealer cost is normally around 6-700 bucks less then the MSRP on a atv.  THe more expensive the bike is, the larger the margin.  2 years ago a new zx 636 msrp was 7899.  Dealer cost was 6899.  On a 10k bike, the margin can be 1300 or so.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#17]
You have more "wiggle" room if you buy more than one
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get any bonus check from my employer
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get any bonus check from my employer

I know.

TVA thread.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you in East Texas?

Quoted:

Houston

One of my best friends owns a dealership in East Texas.........pm me the model you want and I will see if I can get you a deal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#21]
These folks have great prices...

www.lakehillmotors.com/yamahaatvs.htm

also, buy out of state so you can avoid the sales tax. Since they aren't registered typically you can get away with it...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
These folks have great prices...

www.lakehillmotors.com/yamahaatvs.htm

also, buy out of state so you can avoid the sales tax. Since they aren't registered typically you can get away with it...

no sales tax but pay the cost of shipping instead???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top