Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 11:48:28 PM EDT
Anyone still have these ?  Mine is one of the grandfathered ones left over from the first iphone.

Are these really unlimited though?  Every once in awhile I will get a notification that I am getting close to going over 5 gb and that if I do so they will reduce my speeds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I still have mine...have only been throttled down once due to a bunch of streaming..
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone still have these ?  Mine is one of the grandfathered ones left over from the first iphone.

Are these really unlimited though?  Every once in awhile I will get a notification that I am getting close to going over 5 gb and that if I do so they will reduce my speeds.
View Quote

I have it. I recently upgraded my phone and I ordered it from Amazon, and Amazon didn't have the plan option for the granfathered in unlimited plan, so I just picked the cheapest one and then tried to contact ATT. It took a few phone calls, but I kept the grandfathered plan.

edit: I've never gotten that message, but I don't think I've ever used close to 5gb in a month..
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:04:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first ipad came with unlimited data, when I upgraded to a newer ipad I sold the unlimited data sim on ebay for $600.
View Quote

holy shit…how does that work? Isn't your sim card tied to you?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My first ipad came with unlimited data, when I upgraded to a newer ipad I sold the unlimited data sim on ebay for $600.
View Quote

WTF? Good job...

I thought it was all in the contract... and not the sim card... If so.. good job ripping that guy off.. If not, so everytime I get a new phone/sim card I should sell the old sim card for a ton of cash???

Or does this just apply to ipad sim cards..
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#6]
If they can threaten to throttle back your speeds, threaten to sue.  They have lost in court already for this.  they try to use the whole it's a drain on the network but if it is not at peak times that they can prove it will get them to go away.

Had to do this when they called me and said I was at 1.5 gig and at 2 gig they would throttle me back.  Considering I was using it at work over nights, not peak times they did nothing but say sorry and have left me alone since.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Wife and I both have unlimited on our iphones, everytime we upgrade phones they try to talk us into something else, we just say "no thanks, we'll keep our unlimited plan".
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I still have mine. While reading the fine print I found out that they don't want you to use more than 3gb in any one month. So much for "unlimited".

Quote from AT&T website.

Monitor your data usage and avoid using 3GB or more in one billing cycle on a 3G or 4G smartphone (5GB or more on a 4G LTE smartphone). Check your data usage anytime by calling *3282# (*DATA#) from your smartphone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I've still got it and haven't been throttled yet.

I average 4gb or so a month but I have used up to 12+gb
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had mine ever since the iPhone 3G.

The AT&T website specifies that "Unlimited Plans" may use 3Gb of data on the 4G network, or 5Gb of data on LTE before being subject to throttling.  This was published over a year ago, and is pretty old news now.  I doubt there is any legal challenge to it, since their contract gives them the right to change terms at will.  

Verizon is less friendly with their "Unlimited" customers, having removed upgrade subsidies for those plans.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#11]
K9 mail went crazy on my phone and constantly re downloaded my email accounts over and over. It was killing my battery and my phone was getting really hot to the touch.

I checked my usage 22GB

I was glad to have my unlimited data.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#12]
We have 4 of 5 lines with ATT grandfathered unlimited, and I encourage extravagant usage after the fucking they gave us on the fifth line,that used to have unlimited.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I just cancelled mine.  I was holding onto it because I thought I might use it one day, but in reality, I use less than 1GB a month.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I still have one with 4 lines on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep.

Still have it on 2 lines.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We have 4 of 5 lines with ATT grandfathered unlimited, and I encourage extravagant usage after the fucking they gave us on the fifth line,that used to have unlimited.
View Quote

This.  We still have a family plan with three grandfathered unlimited plans.  I also got fucked out of the fourth line that we had for multiple years.  Several years ago, I bought a new phone on a "special Black Friday upgrade" with AT&T online.   They ended up changing my plan without asking.  Did not catch it for about two billing cycles.  Called them and they said I was the one who changed plan and they did not give a fuck!

Lessen learned!  If you ever deal with these pricks when getting an upgrade etc., make damned sure you check to make sure they do not change your "grandfathered unlimited" plan!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top