Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:13:14 PM EDT
I am on my 3rd modem from ATT! They will work fine for a while, then they start losing signal and I have to unplug and restart it to get it going again. I have noticed that they run really hot, and that might be the problem, is there an aftermarket modem that I can buy which will serve me better?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:35:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:27:19 PM EDT
I complained heavily after my third failure. I got a 4 month credit. Tell them you're not happy to lose that time for them to ship you a new modem, that is probably going to fail also, just tell them you are going to jump ship. I went to Uverse and have not had a problem yet. That and their modems only carry a 1 year warranty. The last modem i have before we got the "home gateway" from uverse lasted the longest at 18 months, they know about there problems and if they fail to acknowledge that then just ask for your money back. I believe heat was a factor in all the deaths of mine. Ambient air temp for passive cooling was probably a design flaw for 24/7 365 operation.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:07:48 PM EDT
I went through the silver and black motorola modems for awhile.

Then I dug up an old DSL modem from my last residence. Inputted my login info, and surfed for 1.5 years until I moved without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:56:50 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies guys, it is a pain to get in contact with a rep, is there a direct number I can use? If I were to buy one off ebay, what device should I look for?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:34:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BillythePoet:
I am on my 3rd modem from ATT! They will work fine for a while, then they start losing signal and I have to unplug and restart it to get it going again. I have noticed that they run really hot, and that might be the problem, is there an aftermarket modem that I can buy which will serve me better?

Thanks

How long is "a while"? All the consumer class home networking stuff needs to get restarted once a month or so.

They will be warm to the touch, if they are hot, they are too hot. Try moving it so it can get better circulation. Keep cigarette smoke away, and don't let the cat sit on it.

You could turn it off when you aren't using it. That'll make it stay overall cooler.

In general, there's "lowest bidder", "lowest bidder to the government", "shit the Chinese threw out" and "AT&T equipment" in descending order of crappitude.

If you can, switch to a less retarded ISP. I used to work for them, they fucking suck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:17:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:

Thanks

How long is "a while"? All the consumer class home networking stuff needs to get restarted once a month or so.

They will be warm to the touch, if they are hot, they are too hot. Try moving it so it can get better circulation. Keep cigarette smoke away, and don't let the cat sit on it.

You could turn it off when you aren't using it. That'll make it stay overall cooler.

In general, there's "lowest bidder", "lowest bidder to the government", "shit the Chinese threw out" and "AT&T equipment" in descending order of crappitude.

If you can, switch to a less retarded ISP. I used to work for them, they fucking suck.

I unplugged it 7 times yesterday, twice so far today. It is as cool as I can get it without putting a fan on it, I will try keeping it unplugged when I'm not home though. ATT and Suddenlink are the only two ISPs in my area, is Suddenlink better?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:42:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:12:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cruze5:
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:

Thanks

I unplugged it 7 times yesterday, twice so far today. It is as cool as I can get it without putting a fan on it, I will try keeping it unplugged when I'm not home though. ATT and Suddenlink are the only two ISPs in my area, is Suddenlink better?

Thanks

what did your ISP say? if you refuse to call I can guarantee you if you get another modem you will be unplugging and plugging it back in all day

I haven't called yet, because every other time I've had to spend a bunch of time on the phone with someone from India and we have a hard time communicating (I'm from Texas, lol). I guess I will bite the bullet and call.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:25:50 PM EDT
I had several crap out on me- I found out (after 4 aggravating phone calls) that my modem was defective and was under a recall order- so they shipped me a new one. After further problems with the account, they upgraded me to a free wifi router with 4 ports. Still more trouble and they ended up sending me anther free wifi router- but I never unboxed it because I moved.

so there may be a recall on your modem, and the will definitely upgraded your equipment for free if you complain enough.

( I think I had the best results dealing with the 'retention office'.)
Top Top