Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 5:02:15 AM EDT
When spelling a noun in plural form, it does NOT need an apostrophe.  It is "commandos," not "commando's," it is "nazis," not "nazi's," it is "tattoos," not "tattoo's," and it's "ninjas," not "ninja's."

If you are talking about a thing that belongs to those nouns, then you use an apostrophe, which turns it into posessive form.  For example, "the ninja's throwing croissant."  Apostrophes are also used to take the place of a removed letter.  For example, "Throwin' croissant," or in a contraction such as "it's" in which the apostrophe takes the place of the "I" in "is."

That is all.  Sorry, but that stuff get's on my nerve's far more than bad spelling.

Might as well put an apostrophe with every word that end's with an S if you're going to use it for the plural form.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife, the English Major and editor, says that the apostrophe is probably THE most misused punctuation that she sees all the time in her work. She sees it daily, and not just in her work but out on signs, billboards, etc.  When she was teaching, she could not get students to understand this.  There is some sort of need to place a mark where it shouldn't be.  Very weird and frustrating.

That and the misuse of "lose/loose", and "to/too" is pretty aggravating.

And before some of you launch into the spelling/grammar nazi bit, I tend to judge people on how they communicate (whether it is vocally or how they write).
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank's yous

I try not bitch about spelling or anything else, because I have seen too many do what they were bitching about in the post. ie bitch about spelling and misspell a word. It happens to the best of us.

There is a PSA for ya!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Be prepared for an onslaught of corrections to your post.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ATTENTION!

When spelling a noun in plural form, it does NOT need an apostrophe.  It is "commandos," not "commando's," it is "nazis," not "nazi's," it is "tattoos," not "tattoo's," and it's "ninjas," not "ninja's."

If you are talking about a thing that belongs to those nouns, then you use an apostrophe, which turns it into posessive form.  For example, "the ninja's throwing croissant."  Apostrophes are also used to take the place of a removed letter.  For example, "Throwin' croissant," or in a contraction such as "it's" in which the apostrophe takes the place of the "I" in "is."

That is all.  Sorry, but that stuff get's on my nerve's far more than bad spelling.

Might as well put an apostrophe with every word that end's with an S if you're going to use it for the plural form.

+ 1
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I always thought this was a gun fourm. Not a fucking english forum.

I guess there are about two or three fucked up words in the past comment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always thought this was a gun fourm. Not a fuckin fucking english fourm.

I guess there is are about two or three fucked up words in the past comment.

Fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I always thought this was a gun fourm. Not a fuckin english fourm.

I guess there is about two or three fucked up words in the past comment.

Proper English transcends the specific purpose of all forums (provided they are in English, of course.)  When one communicates in English, one should know how to use English, no matter what the subject.  Besides, it's just so freakin' annoying.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for ya! hr

Fuckin isn't a word? I use it all the time.
Example:
You are a fuckin retard.
Stop using all the fuckin hot water.
Where is my fuckin keys.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I always thought this was a gun fourm. Not a fuckin fucking english forum.

Fixed it for ya! hr

WTF is a fourm?

My bad.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I always thought this was a gun fourm. Not a fuckin fucking english forum.

Fixed it for ya!

WTF is a fourm?

My bad.

We're just busting your balls - all in good fun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for ya!

Example:
You are a fuckin retard.
Where is my fuckin keys.

I must admit to using that word occasionally as well - like:  "I had no idea how much fuckin time I spend on ar15.com"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for ya!

Example:
You are a fuckin retard.
Where is my fuckin keys.

Psst . . . it needs an apostrophe.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for ya!

WTF is a fourm?

i hear that 3m is about expand it's business.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Quoted:

If you are talking about a thing that belongs to those nouns, then you use an apostrophe, which turns it into poSsessive form.  For example, "the ninja's throwing croissant."  Apostrophes are also used to take the place of a removed letter.  For example, "Throwin' croissant," or in a contraction such as "it's" in which the apostrophe takes the place of the "I" in "is."

Well, you tried.  Understand that if you're going to pounce on those who butcher the King's english, you might want to check your own post for errors first.

Nice touch on purposely using the 's in your last sentence.  Really drives the point home...

D'oh.

Uh . . . you know I only did that to show that I was serious when I said that misspellings don't bother me as much as the misuse of apostrophes, right?

But give a guy credit for not using the spelling checker.  

EDITED TO ADD:  I think that I spelled "misspelling" wrong.  I went to www.m-w.com to make sure I spelled it right, and it says, "Misspelling:  An incorrect spelling"  So how DO you spell it?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#19]
"Possessive" is one of those weird english words that defy the common conventions of spelling - it really SHOULD be spelled "posessive" according to the standard rules regarding the language and phoenetics, but isn't.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Me               English.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top