Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:18:35 PM EDT
I've dealt with several gun shops here in Orange County California for years.. Purchased many rifles, had lots of smithing done from 2 specific shops.. Over the weekend I purchased an AR10 lower from a guy on the exchange and today I called my gunsmith shop and my local gun shop.. Both said the same thing - they don't deal with AR's because the ATF likes it and it takes a lot of pressure off of them.. I don't know about you, but I am really angry about that.  I can't believe it actually and although I'm not shocked, the ATF has a history of abusing their authority and attacking good Americans and prior servicemen for no good reason, but I'm just disgusted that they would do that to a gun shop just for selling or transferring an AR type rifle or part?!  Maybe this is normal, but I'm actually shocked.. Just thought I'd share.. Not sure what avenues we have on this or if anyone would even listen, but I wish there was something we could do about it.. not only as AR enthusiast's, not only as gun owners, not only as advocates of the 2nd Amendment & the Constitution of the United States, but as Citizen's of the United States, Veteran's, and Great Americans.  We pay these MF'ers salaries.. and we give them something to do every day.. We don't need to be harrassed nor do the gun shops need harrassment, especially from the authorites, police, or government agencies.. Every day since Obama won the election I learn something else that makes it feel like this country is going down the toilet.. I'm tired of sitting by, it's time to act, complain, protest, show numbers like the hippies and liberals do..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure its the ATF and not the local cops?  Unless the ATF is directly enforcing CA's AWB laws, I don't see why they would care much.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ohh... California.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds very strange to me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
..   ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely the ATF, both were very concise about who would make their life miserable if they dealt with AR type rifles in any way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Your shop is lying to you. The ATF has no control over over the Ca AWB, the Ca DOJ does, and the Ca DOJ has said as long as it is legal they don't give a shit.
Go to a shop that is not run by lying FUDDs.
I have NEVER had a problem buying ARs in Cali.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought Kalifornia had wonderful gun laws, just misunderstood?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
7 post in 2 years...........
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not the ATF, it's the California DOJ.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ohh... California.

+1
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your shop is lying to you. The ATF has no control over over the Ca AWB, the Ca DOJ does, and the Ca DOJ has said as long as it is legal they don't give a shit.
Go to a shop that is not run by lying FUDDs.
I have NEVER had a problem buying ARs in Cali.

This. Most shops I deal with could care less as long as it is not against the law.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Call em' yourself.. The Stockade in Westminster & Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster - both say the ATF puts pressure on shops that sell and transfer AR rifles.. seemed like it would be in the form of deeper audits, etc.. I'm sure they know the difference between the ATF, DOJ, and Local Law Enforcement, both shops have been around a long time.  Ade's guns in Orange and Evans Gunsmithing in Orange are the only shops that will deal with AR's in this area..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I signed up a while ago too, and was just a lurker until recently I felt like being a contributor.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I signed up a while ago too, and was just a lurker until recently I felt like being a contributor.

Quoted:
+1

Is hardly a contribution to this thread.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Call em' yourself.. The Stockade in Westminster & Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster - both say the ATF puts pressure on shops that sell and transfer AR rifles.. seemed like it would be in the form of deeper audits, etc.. I'm sure they know the difference between the ATF, DOJ, and Local Law Enforcement, both shops have been around a long time.  Ade's guns in Orange and Evans Gunsmithing in Orange are the only shops that will deal with AR's in this area..

Then go to the two fun shops that are not lying to you

Those two other shops probably can't get AR's in stock so they are making up excuses.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a regular customer of both shops, I recently purchased a Weatherby Mk V in .375 H&H with a Leupold VX-L and a Kimber .45 custom for my father in law from the Stockade as well as a Smith & Wesson .500 with a 4" barrel - at Bolsa I've had 2 rifles modified to about $2k worth of accessories - I spoke with Bob at the Stockade, he's been there a long time, and the only person I've worked with at Bolsa is Jason, they both told me that they don't deal with AR rifles or parts because the ATF makes things a lot easier on them because of the fact that they don't deal with AR's... Like I said, call them yourself and act like you want to transfer in an AR - see what they say.. I really don't understand why this has suddenly turned into a thread regarding fabrication of a topic.. I called them, they said what they said, and I wanted to find out if this is normal.. I thought it was pretty infuriating actually.. Don't take my word for it.. Call em' yourself.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I couldn't find the original post so I thought I screwed up and did another to see if it would show up.  Unintentional, the other can be deleted.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then go to the two fun shops that are not lying to you

Those two other shops probably can't get AR's in stock so they are making up excuses.

Like I said, I purchased a Noveske AR10 lower and just wanted it transferred in and DROS - I'm a long time regular customer and I've spent a lot of money at both shops.. I doubt they'd like to me to get me to go somewhere else.. I wasn't looking to buy an AR at the shop.. Just wanted to transfer in a lower.. Both shops said the same thing.. ATF would make their life miserable if they carried or transferred AR's.. Both said that the ATF likes that they don't carry or deal with AR's..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Then go to one of the AR friendly gun shop. I still thing someone is lying.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#24]
No I haven't done transfer's with either shop, but neither carry AR's and I know they do transfers of other rifles.. I've seen them do transfers of other rifles before and they don't charge any more for transfers than other shops in the area, so it doesn't seem to me that the transfer is the problem.. Like I said, I've done plenty of business with both places.. They seemed pretty candid with me over the phone.. I made sure they knew who I was before I asked.  Anyway, I called Ade's in Orange, a shop I've also done business with in the past and even purchased an AR-15 at Ade's in the past, neither of the other 2 shops carry AR's, neither does Turner's but all 3 are in my area.. Ade's is further away.. If they just said no, I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it, but both said that the ATF makes their life a lot easier because of the fact that they don't deal with AR type rifles.. and neither knew what the other said, they aren't affiliated and I didn't say anything about the other.. Just thought it was something you guys might like to know about.. Take it or leave it..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I am thinking that an overzealous ATF agent might be working that region.

The reason why I suspect that is because I met some ATF agents in Seattle that were very open about how they don't like "assault weapons". I was 24yo at the time and was looking into getting an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#27]
define "pressure"

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Would not surprise me.  The ATF has been clamping down on all the border states due to the mexican gang problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
If the ATF was pulling this shit, wouldn't it be a National issue/problem?  Shit, I've got a dozen dealers, pawn shops, 7-11's etc. that'll sell you all the AR's you want.

I'm not picking on the OP, I just think he's getting bad information from a couple shops who DON'T want the AR-crowd shopping in their fudd shops.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are in OC the best fun shop I have been to in years is J&J Armory in Santa Ana.  I just got a Noveske transfered through them.  By far and away they are the best I have been to in So. Cal.  No Navy SEALMARINESUPERSNIPERS, or uber cool, know it all clerks there to try and belittle you.  I actully asked a question about a POF lower and the pretty girl that was helping me said "I don't know, but I can get someone who does" instead of making it up.  Check them out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top