Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2002 12:47:24 PM EDT
That's right, I went to a local gunshop and there was a woman trying out a pistol. No big deal, right? So she says she'll take it and asks if she pays cash can she just walk out with the gun. The owner says no, and that he'd get the paperwork ready in a jiffy. She pulls out a wad of cash and puts it on the table and says there's enough for the gun and a tip, can she just leave with the gun. The owner told her the deal was off and put the pistol behind him. The woman (30ish) walked out, jumped into car, and sped off.

The owner called the local PD and told them about it and they said it could have been an ATF sting.

Does this sound like a sting? It happened in MA.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The daeler did the right thing. As soon  as anything gets wierd at all, it's time to call off the deal.

My guess is that it was 1 of 4 things:

ATF or LEO sting

a reporter trying to 'prove a point'

a do-gooder trying to set up the gunshop

OR some pissed off broad trying to get a weapon to off her SO because she didn't like her Christmas present.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Or she is buying as a staw purchase for someone she knows can't - and doesn't want her name on it cause she expects it will be used in a crime.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the shop ask for a LTC first? If not that was the only thing they did wrong. I have heard of it happening in mass before. (ATF) Other wise good call on the shops part.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
What's an LTC? Sounds like something we don't have here in the Free South.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
License To Carry. You need one to have a pistol in Mass, Class A basicly high cap, concealed carry
unless limited by the LEO. ALso need this for high cap rifles..
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#9]
She could have been somebody with a past that may prohibit her fromm getting a pistol legally.
Felony background........
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I suppose anything is possible, but more likely a gang ho, trying to get one for her prohibited boyfriend.
View Quote

A white woman in her 30s in small town, USA? Nah.

I'd say which gunshop it was, but am not sure if that is kosher.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#11]
You mean you have to WAIT for your weapons???
YIKES !!!
Here in the Great Free State of Arizona, we have "insta-check" so you fill out the yellow form, gunshop makes ONE phone call and wham-bam, thank you Mam, you walk out with your new purchase !!!
That is unless you happen to have a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) then there is NO PHONE CALL !!! You pays your money and walk out !!!
Sorry, we are going to open up an Immigration Center in Arizona to screen out all the Liberal/Democommies prior to letting you move here !!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
License To Carry. You need one to have a pistol in Mass, Class A basicly high cap, concealed carry
View Quote

It must suck to be an American living in a dictatorship.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#14]
You can fill out paper work and leave with a pistol the same day in CT?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here in Free America, it takes like five minutes, with the SP phone call. Of course, you nanny state NYers might want to interfere with that right, just like the way NY did us out of the right to buy more than one handgun a month.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Here in Free America, it takes like five minutes, with the SP phone call. Of course, you nanny state NYers might want to interfere with that right, just like the way NY did us out of the right to buy more than one handgun a month.....

Scott

View Quote

I'd like a 5 minute deal also. It took 5 months to get the license for the first one. Each additional one took 7-14 days before I could pick it up. Didn't realize CT was the place to live if you want to buy handguns.
How did NY do you out of the right to buy more than one gun a month? In NY I can buy as many as I want just have to wait the 7-14 days to get approval to add the guns to my permit. Last time I did it was for 3 pistols.

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, if you have a CCW permit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Scott

View Quote

Hey, don't blame us because your politicians caved.  Did they put a gun to their heads? [:D]

NY doesn't have that one gun a month bs.  It does depend on what county you reside in if they will give you p.o.'s in advance though.  No NICS check either if your permit is NICS certified.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]
It only takes 5 minutes in Mass to buy a gun. If you have a license, walk in, fill out the 4473 and the state paperwork, do the insta-check thing, pay your money and walk out with the gun. There is no waiting period or limit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It only takes 5 minutes in Mass to buy a gun. If you have a license, walk in, fill out the 4473 and the state paperwork, do the insta-check thing, pay your money and walk out with the gun. There is no waiting period or limit.
View Quote

Yup, basically same thing here in CT.

Back to original post, why would the local PD (whose officers frequent this gunshop quite a bit) mention only the fact that it might have been a sting op? Maybe they were warned beforehand? Usually, police downplay stuff.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#21]
It could be that they heard there were some investigations in the area and just assumed.

Many cops don't particularly like the Feds messing in their backyard.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You mean you have to WAIT for your weapons???
YIKES !!!
Here in the Great Free State of Arizona, we have "insta-check" so you fill out the yellow form, gunshop makes ONE phone call and wham-bam, thank you Mam, you walk out with your new purchase !!!
That is unless you happen to have a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) then there is NO PHONE CALL !!! You pays your money and walk out !!!
Sorry, we are going to open up an Immigration Center in Arizona to screen out all the Liberal/Democommies prior to letting you move here !!!
View Quote

Substitute Georgia whereever you see Arizona in the above, and you've described my home state [:D]

Actually the state I was born and raised in was Massachusetts.  Boy, am I glad I had the good fortune to leave Mass. right after I got out of the Army. Thank you Diamond Match, for transferring me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now THAT'S a screwed up state - my advice is to move.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Of course, you nanny state NYers might want to interfere with that right, just like the way NY did us out of the right to buy more than one handgun a month.....

Scott

View Quote

Heh.. blame your idiot legislators for your one gun a month nonsense.. Not us.. And don't tell me 'ny' lobbied your legislators for this.. cause, I don't care.. There a bunch of morons if they followed what NY wanted instead of what the people that elected them wanted. :)
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Scott

View Quote

I'd like a 5 minute deal also. It took 5 months to get the license for the first one. Each additional one took 7-14 days before I could pick it up. Didn't realize CT was the place to live if you want to buy handguns.
How did NY do you out of the right to buy more than one gun a month? In NY I can buy as many as I want just have to wait the 7-14 days to get approval to add the guns to my permit. Last time I did it was for 3 pistols.

View Quote

Cause motherfucking idiot law-makers that cannot control crime in their own state pushed Virginia into the "one-handgun-a-month" thing in order to stop gang violence in NYC. If you can make logical sense of it, you are doing better than me.....

Scott

P.S. I'm not in CT, BTW. That was someone else. My "permit to own" is the U.S. & Commonwealth of Virginia Constitutions.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
My understanding of the stupid thing is NY pushed for it here and two other states. And they did not work alone. Federal pressure was added, too. Thigns like [b]NO[/b] Federal grants for police, fire, EMS, et cetera.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#27]
If it was a reporter the btch should be charged with something.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Could of been anything. I used to wonder why some FFL's act strange but now I think back to all the weird things I have seen in gunshops. The bottom line for a FFL is his ass.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Ya just gotta love CT CCW.

Now if only they hadnt banned Thompsons . . .
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Could of been anything. I used to wonder why some FFL's act strange but now I think back to all the weird things I have seen in gunshops. The bottom line for a FFL is his ass.
View Quote

You [b]NEVER[/b] know what the Gov is gonna do next. The first day I worked at the convenience store I used to work at, a kid about ten years old came up to the other cashier and asked her for a pack of Marlboros. She asked for his ID, and he left. He got into one of two Crown Vics parked on the side lot. The Crown Vics both had several people in business suits in them, and "extra" antennae on the roofs.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ya just gotta love CT CCW.

Now if only they hadnt banned Thompsons . . .
View Quote

AND AK style rifles...  Don't forget, one downside to CT is that we have defacto registration of handguns.  A DPS-3-C form gets sent to the State Police to keep on file & additional forms have to be filed when the weapon is sold so they can track it.  They also try to encourage people & dealers to use the form for tranfers of long guns, but it's not a law.

[url]http://www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/FirearmsPrivateSale.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, I know. It sucks.

And what was that crap about laying off the state DOT guys after they plowed during that storm? Don't you think that was a huge pile of crap?

Forrest is out(of .45 Hydrashoks).
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Before 1993, CT was probably one of the best states in the country to buy/own guns. Now, it is in the middle, not even close to being good, but not near the worst of them, either. Yet.

It will happen. Especially if Jepsen's little baby (expansion of the '93 AW ban comes back to life). Then it will be time to move or...
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

It must have been a while since you purchased any handguns. When I got my permit about 6 months ago, the next day my grandfather transfered two handguns to me, and at the same time I got the coupon for my Sig, which I only had to wait a week for to have it "Fingerprinted". If I didn't have to wait for that, I would have had it the next day.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It must have been a while since you purchased any handguns. When I got my permit about 6 months ago, the next day my grandfather transfered two handguns to me, and at the same time I got the coupon for my Sig, which I only had to wait a week for to have it "Fingerprinted". If I didn't have to wait for that, I would have had it the next day.
View Quote

Each county in NYS has different rules and regulations for issuing purchase orders for additional handguns.  

Some counties will issue several PO's in advance and in that case there is no waiting period.  Other counties require that you amend your permit and add the new handgun before they will issue a PO.  In that case it might take several weeks or even months of waiting to pick up that new handgun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Still fond of the home state. Once a year visit to the sheriff's office for a pistol permit (to purchase a pistol). Go to the gunshop, do the 4473, show the permit,  buy and walk out with the gun (any gun). Now if they hadn't banned classes II and III.

Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#37]
They should've said 'let me talk to the manager' and gone back and called the cops.  Then stall her until they get there and have her questioned and detained for attempting to purchase a firearm illegally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top