Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2001 9:06:07 PM EDT
I just watched a show, and they had the ASPCA in NY.  Thses peole dressed, acted and drove cars just like the police.  They even showed them arresting a person.
They had jackets with patches, badges and even the lettering on the turtleneck collers.

What The Fuck!!!!!  These are animal controle officers, they shovel dead cats off of the road!, they don't have the power of arrest, and what the hell are they doing looking JUST LIKE THE POLICE!!?!?!!?

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The sidearms are for the vicious rabid dogs they have to caputre. They also have to routinely capture pitbulls too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just watched a show, and they had the ASPCA in NY.  Thses peole dressed, acted and drove cars just like the police.  They even showed them arresting a person.
They had jackets with patches, badges and even the lettering on the turtleneck collers.

What The Fuck!!!!!  These are animal controle officers, they shovel dead cats off of the road!, they don't have the power of arrest, and what the hell are they doing looking JUST LIKE THE POLICE!!?!?!!?
BISHOP
View Quote

Actually they do have the power, and what do you suggest we do to people who mistreat animals? Take them out and buy them a beer?

[red]Evil-Beagles[/red]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Here in Maryland, the Humane Society has arrest powers.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to mention that the owners can get nasty too.  During the last segment, the guy who owned the horse freaks out when they try to cuff him.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I demand that there be the creation of a Library of Congress SWAT team.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Almost all Animal Control Officers are LEO, they enforce criminal laws, issued citation and some times make arrest.  There are a lot of Animal Control Officers with full Police power and do carry sidearms for the people and not the animals they work with.  It was not too years ago that a Police Sgt was shot and killed by a dog owner, as the police and animal control tried to quarantine a dog for bitting.  The Sgt was also due to retire, soon.  Animal Control Officers work with the same people as the police do, and most of the time by they self and with out back up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
In PRK, too.  In one county there was an uproar about this.  Forget the details, but there was some abuse of authority or other misconduct involved.

Imbrog|io, call off the dogs.  I turned in that overdue book, I swear.  Next you'll want to re-arm the Salvation Army........[(:)]

[red][size=4]PRK
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW, I never thought there was such a thing...

I am (after all)from a town with NO police, just "STATIES" but that equated to nothing after the fact....
You just gotta love New England!!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw it too. I liked how those two female ASPCA officers could not take that guy down who was mistreating the horse. I also felt charging that asshole who burnt his kitty's whiskers with a felony was a little excessive, even though he was an asshole and should get his ass kicked for doing it. Looking at the cat while it was it the vet, it looks like just the tips of the whiskers were burned. The guy is clearly an asshole, but a felony?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally posted by Katman-
The sidearms are for the vicious rabid dogs they have to caputre. They also have to routinely capture pitbulls too.
View Quote

What about for the vicious rabid kats? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#12]
All government agencies are arming for protection against citizens, irs to dog catcher.
it is only the citizens that can't be armed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#13]
SPCA officers in my area of Upstate NY are Peace Officers, which is one step down from police officers. They can't execute warrants; otherwise, they have full police powers within the area of their assigned duties.
They do NOT scrape dead animals off the road; thats the highway depts job.
Abuse of domesticated animals in NY IS a felony. I'd post the cite, but my on-line law source is down.
They are not armed in my area, but given the fact that they deal with a wide range of animal abuse issues in often rural areas, I don't see why, with the proper training,they should not be armed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#14]
If your job was to take an animal from his owner, you would want to be packing too. Those people get really pissed. (Even the ones who have so many they can't take care of them)
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you entirely certain that it was members of the ASPCA?  American Society for the Prevention of Cruelity to Animals?  Or was it Animal Control officers?

I was under the impression that ASPCA was a private organization, like the NAACP, ACLU, American Bar Assn., AMA, etc., and the Animal Control officers were paid employees of the locality (like police or crossing guards).
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw that same show and also couldn't beleive what I saw. They were definitely armed. I doubt the sidearms are only for rabid animal control, if that's the case why was the one male officer wearing a bullet proof vest?
And yes they were definitely ASPCA.

I guess it won't be long before they'll be kicking in your door at 3:00am for leaving your barking dog outside.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you entirely certain that it was members of the ASPCA?  American Society for the Prevention of Cruelity to Animals?  Or was it Animal Control officers?

I was under the impression that ASPCA was a private organization, like the NAACP, ACLU, American Bar Assn., AMA, etc., and the Animal Control officers were paid employees of the locality (like police or crossing guards).
View Quote

It is the ASPCA and they are contracted by the local government, to run Animal Control in the area they work. In most area Animal Control Officers/ Human Officers that have full Police powers have to go through the same P.O.S.T. classes, as all the others go through.  

Also, all most all Animal Control Officers are Peace Officers, with some or all the police power.  Animal Control has been around for over 150 years in the USA.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
ASPCA Officers have "Peace Officer" status in NYS with powers of arrest. In NYC they do investigations and go undercover and infiltrate gangs who have fighting dogs and cocks. These are some nasty people with large amounts of money involved in the "sport".

There are scores of "Peace Officers" in NY including Judges, Court Officers, Bridge Toll Officers, Bay Constables, etc.

New York State Consolidated Laws
Criminal Procedure
PEACE OFFICERS

S 2.10 Persons designated as peace officers.

Notwithstanding the provisions of any general, special or local law or charter  to  the  contrary,  only  the  following persons shall have the powers of, and shall be peace officers:

7.  Officers  or  agents  of  a  duly incorporated  society  for  the prevention of cruelty to animals.

[url]http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=25&a=4[/url]

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
I demand that there be the creation of a Library of Congress SWAT team.
View Quote

Don't laugh, it exists. The Capitol Police have patrol officers, a SWAT unit, and detectives.  The Capitol Police number hundreds, all to protect a few office buildings.

BTW, the Supreme Court has their own police department.  Don't want the Judicial Branch guarded by Executive Branch employees.  

Actually, nearly every cockamamie agency in this town has a police department.  NIH, Agriculture, Justice, etc., etc., etc..

Link Posted: 7/1/2001 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
On Long Island, NY, the Nassau County Fire Marshals carry Glock 17's, and are the only county specifically authorized to under state law... you never know when somebody's going to pull a weapon on you if you find their smoke detector is not working, or the arrow on their "exit" sign is pointed in the wrong direction. :-)

But seriously, I don't know exactly how that came about - it sounds like it may just have been an evolution of the "peace officer" definition as the "police" strayed away from some of the specific enforcement duties that are now performed by these officers.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top