Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/1/2003 6:15:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 6:18:35 PM EDT by natez]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030601/capt.1054498544.eric_rudolph_scmc106.jpg[/img]
Heavily armed officers with the Cherokee County Sheriff department stand watch around the sheriff's office and courthouse Sunday, June 1, 2003, in Murphy, N.C. Eric Rudolph is being held at the jail in the sheriff's office awaiting transfer to Asheville, N.C. were he will be arraigned in federal court on Monday. (AP Photo/Mary Ann Chastain)
View Quote
Looks like they are carrying Colt M16A2 Commando SMGs with Trijicon Reflex Sights and Surefire "Classic" (as in really old, or what I carry) tac lights. The Deputy on the right looks like he likes Mag-Puls. The one on the left looks "corn fed" and failed to close his ejection port cover, which is poor tradecraft. He MAY have a Surefire M500 on jis weapon, but it is hard to tell. Wonder if he could keep up with our tac guys on one of our "normal" runs...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:36:50 PM EDT
Really old doesn't matter. If they are comfortable with their guns then why change? If they changed, it could cause hesitation, etc. Old guns and old tac-lights can still function very well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:00:10 PM EDT
Why do cops need weapons of war that are only designed to kill large amounts of people in an uncontrolled spray of bullets fired from the hip???
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:04:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:22:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sherrick13:
Originally Posted By The_Macallan: Why do cops need weapons of war that are only designed to kill large amounts of people in an uncontrolled spray of bullets fired from the hip???
View Quote
So they can go home safe at night.
View Quote
That's what the BA is for.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:29:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:47:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SinistralRifleman: I can think of better rifle configurations for cops other than 11.5" full auto .223s... 11.5" 9mms would be fine IMHO though.
View Quote
I doubt the guns are even loaded, so it does not matter what they have. And who are they expecting trouble from? You would think that they have just capured Pablo Escobar or something. Most loser abortion clinic bombers don't have any friends to begin with. Let alone any that would attempt a rescue.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:58:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan: Why do cops need weapons of war that are only designed to kill large amounts of people in an uncontrolled spray of bullets fired from the hip???
View Quote
[devil's advocate]Why do [red]civilians[/red] need weapons of war that are only designed to kill large amounts of people in an uncontrolled spray of bullets fired from the hip???[/devils advocate]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:59:02 PM EDT
That is an M500.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:04:00 PM EDT
That's heavily armed????
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:17:57 PM EDT
Those guys crack me up. Just who do they think is going to try and rescue this guy? IRAQ? JBT`s if you ask me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:20:59 PM EDT
Those guys got what they got, because that is what their department purchased for them. They are standing out there in the hot sun because their boss said they would. Sounds reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:33:23 PM EDT
The LA Times had pics of the Burbank and Glendale PDs all suited up for the most recent "man with a gun" debacle. This nut fired over 200 rounds from his apt. windows through the walls, toward the neighbors, at the freeway, everywhere. His neighbors had to run for it, local PD arrived and got control of the situation. He died of multiple gunshot wounds- the article said it was still to be determined if he died from his own, or the PDs bullets. Sure sucked to be him that day. There was a pic of one of the officers with an AR- lightweight carbine barrel with a handle mounted Colt 4 power scope, and some kind of table taped to the stock. You gotta admire a professional who trains and knows what his weapon will do! I think LE did good work that day. Does this mean I'm a member of the "Blue Crew"?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:18:33 PM EDT
Why the rush to slam two regular joes just pulling a shift. Since when do deputies get to decide what they carry and where they are posted for duty? Lighten up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:00:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bvmjethead:
View Quote
[devil's advocate]Why do [red]civilians[/red] need weapons of war that are only designed to kill large amounts of people in an uncontrolled spray of bullets fired from the hip???[/devils advocate]
View Quote
Umm...Im not sure if you can play "devils advocate" on a statement that was from a "devils advocate" point of view originally.[>:/]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:32:37 PM EDT
I hope they don't have to get anywhere quick..at least on foot. JBT's on a large calorie diet! You would never see that lack fitness among real fed JBT's. They might want to pull out those stocks a click or two. Ready for anything...righhhhht!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:56:09 PM EDT
According to the news reports, this is a very small town, so I am surprised a small town sheriff's department has weaponry that nice! Most small town departments are lucky to have an old beat up 12 gauge. They must have a gun loving sheriff, mayor, or something. Good to see. Then again, this is the mountain territory of NC and they probably have to deal with lots of stuff there such as drug dealing and marijuana eradication. So they probably carry these due to past experience.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:06:32 PM EDT
I don't think they are there to deter a would-be rescuer. They are there to make sure Rudolph lives long enough to stand trial.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:12:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sherrick13:
View Quote
So they can go home safe at night. Sorry couldn't resist.
View Quote
ROFLMAO! Sherrick, you are a riot. Based on your posts, you have truly earned my respect. I don't feel that the LEO's here have a God complex as some claim, but you are amazingly humble. And I truly do hope you "go home safe at night".
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:51:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:44:44 AM EDT
Back on topic, I think it's a cool pic. Thanks Natez. A friend who is into Class III has one of those. Damn think short stroked like hell the one time I got to shoot it, account very cold weather and thick grease.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:26:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheKill: Back on topic, I think it's a cool pic. Thanks Natez. A friend who is into Class III has one of those. Damn think short stroked like hell the one time I got to shoot it, account very cold weather and thick grease.
View Quote
I have actually been fielding requests for these 10.5" barrels lately from the troops. Our standard is 14.5", and that tends to be a little long for CQB-type stuff. I have thus far deflected my folks (I think that it would drop the MV too much to be really practical), but it is only a matter of time before one gets their way. These Deputies can carry whatever they want as far as I am concerned, but I think a 10.5" barrel is just a little too short. I carry an M4, and it works fine for me, and I think 14.5 is about as short as one should go with .223. The only time I have handled one of these was in Armorer's school, and I got the impression that unless your "Commando"-length weapon came that way from the factory, you were going to have some timing and cycling issues, or at least that is what Colt wants you to think. As to the stocks being collapsed fully, some folks shoot better when wearing 50+ pounds of armor with the stock all the way in. For me, and I have long arms, I usually keep it out 1. I was keeping it out 2 positions, but that wasn't working out as well as I would have liked. Remember, this isn't about driving tacks at 300 yards, it is about precision at "social" distances. These poor Deputies are standing around on their day off, because when they sack a big-time fugitive, somebody expects a couple of SWAT guys to stand around like this, and their bosses bought off on that line. They were both simply the guys who were dumb enough to answer their phone on Sunday morning, and were probably about to go fishing or something. If this or something like it happened where I live, I could see me getting stuck out there, doing the same damned thing. Hopefully, the comments would run more towards "Cool M4!" and "That guy looks like he is in shape." LOL
Top Top