Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 3:54:17 AM EDT
I read a post a few weeks ago from some guy in Texas who had his AR in a rear window gun rack in his truck.
I thought that was a good idea, To expose people to the scarry black rifle and to let them see honest, law abiding citizens owning them.
So Iv'e bought the rack and now I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the rifle! An AR is worth breaking some glass.

Any Ideas?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't like to advertise or appear to be a person looking for trouble.  I personally wouldn't have a "Easy Rider Rifle Rack" with my AR on it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Cant do that here in Iowa. Gun has to be in a sealed case. I wouldnt do it if I could, I dont like to advertise "Steal Me"
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cant do that here in Iowa. Gun has to be in a sealed case. I wouldnt do it if I could, I dont like to advertise "Steal Me"
View Quote

Yeah, I know what you mean that's why I'm asking.
I put the rack in, laid the rifle in the rack and stood back and looked,
And I mean SCREAMING "steal me".
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't do it.  Remember "out of sight, out of mind"
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#6]
That's an interesting dilemma! I know how you feel though I like to expose people to guns whenever possible but don't want to leave one hanging in the window of my truck.  When going to my mom's place to shoot I'll hang my scoped 30/30 and a scoped .22mag in the rack. That way people get to see guns (I wonder if any one has ever called the cops?) and hopefully be a little more desensitized to them. JM .223 YMMV
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]
That is one thing I will never forget about Oklahoma, GUN RACKS in trucks...

We moved here in 1979, and I was thrust into a country life style, now keep in mind I was once very anti-gun, but that changed not long after I moved here..

Any way years later, in the 80`s I got my first AR, should have kept it to, but anyway I was driving a Pick-up truck and it had a gun rack, well I head off to do some shooting and put my AR in the rack, and off I go, well I get half way through town and a local city cop see the AR, man he dodges through traffic, comes up behind me, gets on his radio, the guy was in a panic, I am thinking oh crap, this is gonna be fun...

Well he follows me around, well I stop at a store right on the edge of town and buy some drinks for the range, Coke, and I come out and he is still there eyeballing my like I am Satan himself, BUT that was it, he never pulled me over, stopped to talk to me at the store or anything...

Present day, you do not see many gun racks in truck windows anymore, to bad, I dont have one either, and I dont know what the reaction would be if you did have a AR in the window today
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to keep my 30/30 up all the time, but that was years ago...

I think if more bad guys saw that us citizens have just as much fire power as they do it might make them hesitate...

Going to get me a new rack today..

Dont plan to leave it up all the time... but on certian trips I will...  Just like my CC.

Thank God for Texas....

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My brother and I used to cruise Sonic with Pop's M16 and 1927 Thompson in the gun rack of the pickup when we were in high school back in the 70s.

It was great being an LEOs son!  [8D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple years back I was with some friends going to one of the big gun shows they have at the Indianapolis fairgrounds.  Being from Michigan, a "non gunrack friendly" state, I was amazed to see them in Indy, and was seeing more and more the closer I got to the fiargrounds.  We followed a guy there who had two M1A's on his rack.  Being a shall issue state, I don't think anyone would have the balls to try and remove those from his truck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#11]
What about a fake AR? That seems like the ideal solution. Show people the black gun, make it worthless to steal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I think a good solution to all this would be to make it a lifetime-lockup felony offense for stealing a gun or [b]knowingly[/b] purchasing a stolen gun.

I see no reason why, in a civilized society, I should have to give up my gun rack, nor why anyone should flip out over one.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, things don't work that well....

Oh, well. Here in Miami, a gun rack is a definite no-no. Even having an old-fashioned gun cabinet at home is an invitation for thieves. Sad, really....
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What about a fake AR? That seems like the ideal solution. Show people the black gun, make it worthless to steal.
View Quote

Replacing glass is such a hassle.  They won't know it's a fake until it's in their hands.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Replacing glass is such a hassle.  They won't know it's a fake until it's in their hands.
View Quote

Yeah, it was more of a solution to not having a $550 - $2000 rifle stolen.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]
im thinking about buying a gunrack for my truck, just so i can lay a few AR's across the back glass of my truck on my way to...........
GUNSTOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, they'll probably notice after they break the glass.

Doh! Should have read a few more posts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top