Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 7:37:36 AM EDT
What are the tools I should get for my build?  I know I need a set of channel locks and some leather for the M4 buttstock if I cannot get the tool from my buddy.

But what else do I need to put this bad boy together?

I have alot of tools in my shop Its just a matter of bringing them all back to my house for the assembly?

Its a stripped lower with a parts kit and complete uppper...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Beyond a screwdriver, and maybe a hammer to tap in pins, you don't really NEED anything else - although punches and stuff like that may be helpful.

To me, the most important "tool" is something like a pillowcase, for when you put the front detent spring in for the pivot pin.  If you are not careful, that spring and detent will FLY LIKE A BIRD - and you'll spend fifteen minutes on your hands and knees trying to find that little fucker!  So when you are putting it in, having the lower inside a pillowcase, or a cardboard box on three sides (or something) is the best advice.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Get yourself a nice set of punches and small hammer, brass face - Lyman makes a pretty good set.
Might also find useful a pair of needle nose pliers
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
About the only thing other then what they mentioned that I can think of is an allen wrench for the pistol grip screw.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
About the only thing other then what they mentioned that I can think of is an allen wrench for the pistol grip screw.

not necessary, a small flat head screw driver also works on allen head screws
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I put lowers together with nothing more than a hammer, roll pin punch, some CLP, locktite, a bag or box to catch the detent springs and pins that will go flying out of your lower, and a buttstock wrench.

If you're completely building the upper on your own, you might also do well to have a strap wrench, action block, and a bench vise.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Print this out and keep it close by... www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower

It definitely comes in handy when you need to determine which spring is which and which way they should be facing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#9]
edit
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Beyond a screwdriver, and maybe a hammer to tap in pins, you don't really NEED anything else - although punches and stuff like that may be helpful.

To me, the most important "tool" is something like a pillowcase, for when you put the front detent spring in for the pivot pin.  If you are not careful, that spring and detent will FLY LIKE A BIRD - and you'll spend fifteen minutes on your hands and knees trying to find that little fucker!  So when you are putting it in, having the lower inside a pillowcase, or a cardboard box on three sides (or something) is the best advice.

You can buy a pivot pin installation tool from Fulton Armory for $5.95 (Brownells has them also)

Or, you can make your own from a small length of 1/4" steel rod.

I made one myself except that I bent the no-hole end at a 90 degree angle.

Note... the tool doesn't eliminate the potential flying spring mishap, but it does make the spring/detent install a little easier. FWIW, I install the pin and spring in the shower... just shut the curtains and cover the drain.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#11]
You get these at your local ACE Hardware

That's all you need !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top