Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/16/2006 7:37:36 AM EDT
What are the tools I should get for my build? I know I need a set of channel locks and some leather for the M4 buttstock if I cannot get the tool from my buddy.

But what else do I need to put this bad boy together?

I have alot of tools in my shop Its just a matter of bringing them all back to my house for the assembly?

Its a stripped lower with a parts kit and complete uppper...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:39:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:40:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Witch_Doctor:
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/Images/223-telewrench2.jpg

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-telewrench2.asp

thats the only tool needed?

how about punches hammers? Tap/die?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:41:14 AM EDT
Beyond a screwdriver, and maybe a hammer to tap in pins, you don't really NEED anything else - although punches and stuff like that may be helpful.

To me, the most important "tool" is something like a pillowcase, for when you put the front detent spring in for the pivot pin. If you are not careful, that spring and detent will FLY LIKE A BIRD - and you'll spend fifteen minutes on your hands and knees trying to find that little fucker! So when you are putting it in, having the lower inside a pillowcase, or a cardboard box on three sides (or something) is the best advice.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 7:42:57 AM EDT by HKgnnr]
Get yourself a nice set of punches and small hammer, brass face - Lyman makes a pretty good set.
Might also find useful a pair of needle nose pliers
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:44:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 7:45:01 AM EDT by Witch_Doctor]
About the only thing other then what they mentioned that I can think of is an allen wrench for the pistol grip screw.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:48:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Witch_Doctor:
About the only thing other then what they mentioned that I can think of is an allen wrench for the pistol grip screw.

not necessary, a small flat head screw driver also works on allen head screws
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:49:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 7:49:45 AM EDT by NewbHunter]
I put lowers together with nothing more than a hammer, roll pin punch, some CLP, locktite, a bag or box to catch the detent springs and pins that will go flying out of your lower, and a buttstock wrench.

If you're completely building the upper on your own, you might also do well to have a strap wrench, action block, and a bench vise.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:56:59 AM EDT
Print this out and keep it close by... www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower

It definitely comes in handy when you need to determine which spring is which and which way they should be facing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:00:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 5:08:00 PM EDT by DienBienPhu54]
edit
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 8:10:35 AM EDT by LoginName]

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Beyond a screwdriver, and maybe a hammer to tap in pins, you don't really NEED anything else - although punches and stuff like that may be helpful.

To me, the most important "tool" is something like a pillowcase, for when you put the front detent spring in for the pivot pin. If you are not careful, that spring and detent will FLY LIKE A BIRD - and you'll spend fifteen minutes on your hands and knees trying to find that little fucker! So when you are putting it in, having the lower inside a pillowcase, or a cardboard box on three sides (or something) is the best advice.

You can buy a pivot pin installation tool from Fulton Armory for $5.95 (Brownells has them also)

Or, you can make your own from a small length of 1/4" steel rod.

I made one myself except that I bent the no-hole end at a 90 degree angle.

Note... the tool doesn't eliminate the potential flying spring mishap, but it does make the spring/detent install a little easier. FWIW, I install the pin and spring in the shower... just shut the curtains and cover the drain.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:31:41 AM EDT
You get these at your local ACE Hardware

That's all you need !
Top Top