Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2001 5:10:30 PM EDT
I need a price check on the Beretta AR-70.  Just how rare are these things?  Also how much do mags go for, and how hard are they to find?  I looked at one today, but I'm hesitant to get into a completely different rifle, that takes completely different mags.  Especially a high-end gun.  Also if anybody has any info on them concering just how good they are, or any other info would be appreciated.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Augman (a regular around here) posted one last week for $1500.  Most advertiset for $1700-$2000.  I don't know if they sel for that... The mags run $75 and up.  There is a mag adapter to use AR15 mags.  As far as durability... I don't think the Beretta gets high marks...
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 3:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks vicg1-
There's a gunshop here with one for $1495.  The thing's brand new looking, but it's just the rifle and one mag.  No box, etc.  It really handled nice.  I mean as far as ergonomics, it was really comfortable.  I know there weren't too many brought into the country.  This is only the second one I've ever seen.  I checked out Gunlist, etc. and the only ones I could find were for $2000+ from the guys that are usually $500 more than they should be.  I suppose it's right in there for price/value.  

Also thanks for reminding me about the mag adapter.  I had heard of it way back when.  The mag looks the same as an M-16 except there is a front/rear catch set up similar to the Galil/AK.  I compared a Valmet .223 mag to it, and it's no way close.  The folower angle was slightly different than an M-16 mag, but an adapter could hold the mags at the right angle.  The AR-70 mag itself seemed like an M-16 mag that had the feed lips taken off and the locking surfaces welded on.  The shape, size and even the grooves on the side of the mag were identical to the M-16 otherwise.  

I'll have to think on whether to get it or not.  That's alot of dough.  Thanks for the info.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Avoid AR70 if you have to count on it for duration. It's really accurate (I tried the .222 Rem. version, the only one available in Italy) but there are little details that sooner or later will bother you. The price in Italy for such a rifle is about from 600 dollars up to 1000.
The mags are identical to the M16 ones, but the catch is like the AK type. The version adopted by the Esercito Italiano, instead, are EXACT replica of the M16 ones (and the M16 mags fit in the SC70/90) but instead of being made in aluminium alloy are made of steel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice PaoloAR15.  I've pretty much decided to pass on it.  There were a couple of things that I didn't like about the design.  Not big deals if it was cheaper, or parts were available, but they are very rare in the US.  Very few of them were imported to here.  Inspite of it's rarity, the value has flattened out here and it's not as attractive as a pure investment gun.  

Besides, I need to save money to buy a new car [:)]

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top