Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 9:43:03 AM EDT
So aren't those of you who pay extra for the photo database uploads a little frustrated that the photo server seems to be down about 50% of the day?

I mean, I am a Network Manager and I host and manage a number of web sites, but the down-time for AR-15 and its servers is quite high by any standard.  The host server for AR15.com is (the IP that runs www.AR15.com):

host-66-202-29-79.roc.choiceone.net

and the one that runs photos.ar15.com is:

host-66-202-29-137.roc.choiceone.net

If that hosting company (ChoiceOne) can't keep the sites up, wouldn't it be good to change hosting companies?  There are a LOT of very good competitive ones out there that will have a MUCH better QoS and uptime statistics, as well as better redundancy.  I mean to have a site go down for as long as it did because of storms in NY is a little absurd for a web hosting company.  They should have PLENTY of backup power.  ChoiceOne advertises 99.9% uptime on their site, which equates to only 9 hours of downtime per year.  AR15.com is down MUCH, MUCH more often than that.  If I ran the site, I'd be demanding requiring refunds of hosting fees and better uptime.

Does anyone have any insight into this?  Is AR15.com actually at a hosting or colocation facility, or is it run out of Ed's house on his DSL/Cable connection?

I love the site and want to help out with the downtime and other such problems.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't pay, someone paid my membership.

So I can't complain.

I do believe AR15.com is co-located.

There isn't much you can do about power outages and lines being down.

Not sure why the photo server is down, but I am sure GB is working on it.

relax,

dave
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't pay for service, you pay to help maintain the site.
The added features are just  a "thank you" for your donation.

NsB
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I miss my TEXAS flag, and the threads seem a little bare w/ missing pics, but hopefully they'll get things back soon.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Let's see, in the last year we've had:

1.  heavy snow
2.  heavy rain
3.  massive power outage
4.  high winds

that were used as excuses for the site to be down.  IMHO the only legit excuse was the power outage.  Please explain to me how the other 3 were unusual.  What do you expect for weather in NY state anyway?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Any place that has server farms, does colocation or hosting - if they are legit, they WILL have backup and redundant power in-house and would thereby be unaffected by:

1. heavy snow
2. heavy rain
3. massive power outage
4. high winds

Man...  the photo server is STILL not up yet...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top