Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2002 12:20:00 AM EDT
I would like to buy an AR-10 that uses FAL metric magazines. I am interested in American Spirit Arms AS308 (AR-10) but from what I understand their customer service is pretty poor. I believe that Hesse Arms also makes an AR-10 that accepts FAL mags. What are my options? Accuracy and reliability is paramount.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:53:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy an ArmaLite, you will not regret it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Never heard of an ar-10 that accepts fal mags. You may wanna move this post to general firearm discussion......
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:15:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would like to buy an AR-10 that uses FAL metric magazines. I am interested in American Spirit Arms AS308 (AR-10) ...........
View Quote

lightning,
I'sure you didn't know this but [b]"AR-10" is trademarked and the property of ArmaLite.[/b]  Therefore, there is no AR-10 that accepts FAL mags - metric or inch.

No flame - just FYI.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#5]
It would be easier to make the adaptation if G3 or CETME mags were used.  The problem with FAL or M14 mags is that they have to be "rocked" into position.  The AR series has a straight insertion as does the CETME/G3.

A "G3 Mag edition" would make the AR10 a potential buy for me, as the only thing that I believe makes the AR10 a weak product (in terms of desireability) is the lack of standard magazines (I refuse to say Hi-Cap in this context).
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It would be easier to make the adaptation if G3 or CETME mags were used.  The problem with FAL or M14 mags is that they have to be "rocked" into position.  The AR series has a straight insertion as does the CETME/G3.

A "G3 Mag edition" would make the AR10 a potential buy for me, as the only thing that I believe makes the AR10 a weak product (in terms of desireability) is the lack of standard magazines (I refuse to say Hi-Cap in this context).
View Quote

D. Punch,
I 'think' I have this right but I'm far from certain.

ArmaLite looked long and hard at the FAL mag (I don't know about the G3 mag.) and while the mag could be altered to function, BATF regs also require the modified mag to work in the weapon for which it was originally designed.
That was the rub.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, it would require an altered lower, but only the mag well.  I'm suggesting that someone (hopefully Armalite) design an AR 10 style receiver that accepts G3 mags.  The guys who do this are bright boys.  I'd be suprised if it was difficult to do.  There would be no ATF issues as the mag is still a G3 mag, although the "new" receiver would have to go through normal approval channels.

The reward is that it would get the modern AR 10 platform past the HUGE hurdle of magazine availability.  Guys like me would see it as a viable option for a fun rifle rather than a specialized target rifle.

G3 and CETME mags were scarce 5 or so years ago, but since then they have come in by the container.  They are only a couple bucks more than FAL mags.  Yes more FAL mags exist, but it's like saying that more Ford trucks exist than Chevys.  My local shows have nice used G3 mags for around $12 and similar condition FAL mags for $9.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]
From a utilitarian perspective, a FAL would indeed do nicely, but I'm a collector and shooter and I would like a .308 AR.  But as is, I'm not any closer to buying one than I am to buying a HK SL-8.  I'd bet there are many like me...

You are right about the hold open.  Perhaps there's an easy solution to that too in the mag well design...
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a really funny thread.

The AR10 isn't any worse off for using M14 magazines, if part of the lug is left on the rear of the magazine(or if you're willing to give up the bolt hold open and not mill away the lug) then you can still use the magazines in an M1A if you just swap out followers.

So really the concept of 2 rifles and 1 set of magazines is still a reality.    It's not quite that simple but it is a lot more realistic than hoping for an AR10 that uses G3 magazines or FAL magazines and has all the quality of an Armalite.

Heck, if I hold it in place I can take an unmodified M14 magazine and use it in my AR10.   Gotta  hold it place since no mag catch slot is milled in the side but it's not possible to over insert the magazine thanks to a "shelf" that is milled into the upper receiver.    The lower receiver is also milled so that an unmodified M14 magazine with a full lug WILL insert into the magazine well, it's not necessary for it to be removed.

In the end, I'm basically in agreement with Armalite that it isn't worth the fuss to try to deal with the FAL mags just cause they are cheaper.    I don't see the G3 magazines being much of an advantage over the M14 magazines either.   System as it stands now is pretty darn well executed, but that's my opinion after owning one for 3-4 years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top