Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 7:48:03 PM EDT
I'm trying to send my dad a video of the family reunion its compressed at 410mb. Ive sent larger emails than this to him. When i tried to send it a little window pops up that says "Not enough memory to send" WTF ? I have 768 mbs of RAM! How do i find out where my memory is going? I ran a spyware scan, clean. A virus scan, clean. I'm pissed.

edited to say i tried breaking it into smaller messages and that produced the same result.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It's probably more of a resources thing.

Reboot, close out everything that's not needed
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you try restarting?

Closing a few programs?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You probably exceeded the virtual memory capacity. The system will use your HD as RAM when memory requirements exceed that of your actual RAM, this is called virtual memory. Your system probably exceeded the virtual memory, and you must adjust your virtual memory upward. The help section of your operating system will tell you how to accomplish this task.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
yes i restarted when i hit CTRL+ALT+DEL it shows nothing but ARFCOM and Outlook ex. i tried closing Norton and everything else on the task bar, same result
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You probably exceeded the virtual memory capacity. The system will use your HD as RAM when memory requirements exceed that of your actual RAM, this is called virtual memory. Your system probably exceeded the virtual memory, and you must adjust your virtual memory upward. The help section of your operating system will tell you how to accomplish this task.

I have 11.3 gigs free space looking for virtual memory now
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
under virtual memory, total paging file size for all drives 1150mb. Is this what your talking about?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Start
Control Panel
System
Advanced
Performance: click settings
Advanced
Virtual memory: click change
Set it at about 1 Gig.

Edited to add:
Oh yah, this is for XP.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Start
Control Panel
System
Advanced
Performance: click settings
Advanced
Virtual memory: click change
Set it at about 1 Gig.

Edited to add:
Oh yah, this is for XP.

changing and restarting now
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
that didnt work

Initial size 400mb maximum size 1024mb, and i still get "Message cannot be sent, not enough memory"
any other ideas?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Could this be related to SP2?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
That's ridiculously huge for an email (which, by the way, is the least efficient way to send binary data).  Is there any way you can FTP it to him or upload it somewhere?  I can't imagine an email that large making it to its destination.

You can download WinRAR free and break it into manageable chunks.  Once they all arrive, he can use WinRAR to very easily restore the file.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's ridiculously huge for an email (which, by the way, is the least efficient way to send binary data).  Is there any way you can FTP it to him or upload it somewhere?  I can't imagine an email that large making it to its destination.

You can download WinRAR free and break it into manageable chunks.  Once they all arrive, he can use WinRAR to very easily restore the file.

I tried RAR and that didnt work i tried breaking it into multiple emails and everything gives me the same error message, not enough memory
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I guess all that's left is to reformat the internet.  I can do that for you from here.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
change the photo format to a much more compressed format.  if you have photoshop you can use image resizing and and reduce the resolution.   You will lose quality, but if your dad wants to make 8x10's or something you could burn a CD and send it to him.

edited to add:  just realized it was video.  forget what I said
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]
i don't remember what we are talking about.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh fuck it! I'll render a new smaller video, I still dont understand why it wont work, I've broken up large files before and never had a problem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top