Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 7:10:11 PM EDT
Some friends have invited me on a trip this fall to Snowshoe Mountain in WV to do a 4 day ride. Up until now I've always ridden 700-1000 dollar Trek and Specialized Hardtails nothing over the top, just local trails. I'm planning on spending the summer training and getting a feel for a new full suspension bike before the trip.

My budget is $2200, and I've narrowed it down to 4 bikes. Does anyone have any insight into which is better than another. I know the Giants are based on the Maestro suspension and I've leaning towards one of them, but I also hear good things about the Trek EX and Specialized Camber.

The 4 bikes are the Spec. Camber 650B, Trek Fuel EX 5 29 (the only 29er in my list), Giant Trance 27.5 3, or the Giant Stance 27.5 1.

These are the only brands the local shops carry. I wanted to try a Santa Cruz Ultralight, but nobody local carries them, and if I order one its a no return policy if it doesn't fit well on arrival.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't ride around in a bike than expensive in Somalia.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Double your budget
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Double your budget
View Quote

true?  someone else said something similar...that you can't get into a decent FS bike at the ~2k mark
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Double your budget
View Quote
 Playing in the DIRT ?

LEGS are your suspension.

Aluminum frame Cannondale trail 6, comes with 29 inch tires, will take you anywhere you want to pedal for 700 bucks.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Full suspension is the way to go for a place like Snowshoe.
What are your digits?  Really tall like over 6' then go 29'er.  Some sales going on at Lynskey.
27.5 is ok for the right height.  Your probably looking at lightly used for that kind of money.
Can you rent bikes somewhere?  Giant is probably more bang for the buck then the others.
What kind of local shop have you?  And where do you live/ride?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I borrowed my Son's 29"' Trek...
Now my bike got sucky
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Double your budget
View Quote

If I decide to make this a major hobby I'll upgrade next year. If I need to I can rent a Spec. Stumpjumper there.

Budget is firm, paying cash. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It might be worth looking at JensonUSAcom. They have a lot of bikes on sale right now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the Giant
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I decide to make this a major hobby I'll upgrade next year. If I need to I can rent a Spec. Stumpjumper there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double your budget

Check craigslist for used bikes?  There's good shit on there if you look around and are willing to drive a little.

You're budget is the reason I'm still on my 13yo hardtail.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are your digits?  Really tall like over 6' then go 29'er.  Some sales going on at Lynskey.
27.5 is ok for the right height.  Your probably looking at lightly used for that kind of money.
Can you rent bikes somewhere?  Giant is probably more bang for the buck then the others.
View Quote

I'm 6', 27.5 seems to fit the best. I'm leaning towards the Giant offerings as well. Suspension and components seems to give a better bang for the buck. Can always swap out fork and shock to Fox down the road.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Out of those, I'd look at the Giant.  They are the largest manufacturer, and can use that to get better pricing on the components so you will normally get better stuff at the same price point as the other brands.  The Maestro suspension uses a solid rear triangle with short links close to the main triangle, so it is supposed to be pretty stiff.

Specialized is still tied to the Horst link suspension, which needs a shock with a firm platform to pedal well.  It also has pivot points all over the rear triangle, which can lead to flex.

Trek uses a different suspension set up that on paper seems pretty neat.  However, it uses a proprietary shock so you are really constrained if you want to replace it.  It also has its pivot points in the rear triangle which again can lead to flex and wear.

All that said, see if you can take each one out for a true test ride on a trail you know reasonably well and see which one YOU like the best.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I think I've settled on the Giant Trance 27.5 3. Will swap out wheel set to tubeless and fork and shock to fox before the trip, but otherwise I'll upgrade components as necessary.

I've never been able to leave anything stock, so might as well start off with a solid frame and good suspension geometry.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The trance is a good bike but it's also built to be a little burly entry level rounder. Jumps and railing berms kind of riding. If you're ridimgf mostly cross country style, the stance might be a better choice.

For what it's worth, I ride a kona precept 130 which is also right around your price range. Slick bikes with lifetime warranties. Can jump and have fun but good for all day rides through the mountains.

Above allc though make sure you ride the bike before buying it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Look at spending $3500-4000 or else rent. Buying a $2000 bike will lead to costly upgrades when parts start failing. You want the best frame, fork,  rear shock,  and wheels that you can afford.

Also,  don't buy a $2000 bike thinking that you can sell it later and move on up the food chain. You'll lose a lot of $ on the sale.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm 5'8", and I think I'm a little too short for my 29'er. When I bought it a couple years ago 27.5's were just becoming mainstream, and now I wish I was in a 27.5".

The 29er has a cramped shoe box, and seems flexy in really rough technical stuff in the front end. Its a little slow to accelerate, but you can kind of sloppily hit and roll over big stuff without too much thought. Do have to keep my ass low though.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd try and find something on pinkbike.com, ebay or even craigslist. You can get a lot more for your $ buying used. Or even better, if you have a decent LBS (local bike shop) go and see if they have any demos for sale. they're generally well maintained.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I've ridden Snowshoe every summer for many years.

I'd say, rent one of their bikes to get a feel for what you want, then buy accordingly.

Be sure to rent a full DH race bike for a day.

You will love it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd try and find something on pinkbike.com, ebay or even craigslist. You can get a lot more for your $ buying used. Or even better, if you have a decent LBS (local bike shop) go and see if they have any demos for sale. they're generally well maintained.

View Quote

Do not buy on Pinkbike, I've been burned on 2 out of 3 occasions buying used items from posters. They have no feedback system (nor do the site owners care about creating one) and thus it's full of scammers. I paid for a frame that turned out to be stolen and was already sold to another person locally before I even paid for it (luckily PayPal refunded my money). Just yesterday I got an rear axle shipped in from a user in Canada. It was shipped in an envelope and didn't make it. I'm talking a letter envelope. I contacted the seller and he told me to dispute it with the carrier because "he packaged it the best he could." Never again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've ridden Snowshoe every summer for many years.

I'd say, rent one of their bikes to get a feel for what you want, then buy accordingly.

Be sure to rent a full DH race bike for a day.

You will love it.

View Quote

I've been the last 2 years. I am hooked. There is nothing like DH riding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think I've settled on the Giant Trance 27.5 3. Will swap out wheel set to tubeless and fork and shock to fox before the trip, but otherwise I'll upgrade components as necessary.

I've never been able to leave anything stock, so might as well start off with a solid frame and good suspension geometry.
View Quote

The Trance 27.5 is capable bike and I liked the one I rode for a bit.

I'd think about buying a higher level model if you're going to swap out most of the most expensive parts anyway? Maybe even look for a good deal on a used one and then upgrade that.

ETA: Although having a backup wheelset & rear shock never hurts.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do not buy on Pinkbike, I've been burned on 2 out of 3 occasions buying used items from posters. They have no feedback system (nor do the site owners care about creating one) and thus it's full of scammers. I paid for a frame that turned out to be stolen and was already sold to another person locally before I even paid for it (luckily PayPal refunded my money). Just yesterday I got an rear axle shipped in from a user in Canada. It was shipped in an envelope and didn't make it. I'm talking a letter envelope. I contacted the seller and he told me to dispute it with the carrier because "he packaged it the best he could." Never again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point....I tend not to buy much that I cant check out in person. I found a nice set of Mavic 823s/hadley hubs on Pinkbike that were local to me and was able to scope out in person...thats what I was getting at.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm 6', 27.5 seems to fit the best. I'm leaning towards the Giant offerings as well. Suspension and components seems to give a better bang for the buck. Can always swap out fork and shock to Fox down the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up trance at the end of last season. rode MX and BMX all my life. Got into MTB 2years ago on a hard tail. Now I only have maybe 5 good riding hours on the trance I am starting to really like it. I am still a bit slower than I was on my 29er hard tail but the giant feels great. Another ride or two and I think I will be quicker on it. I was shocked how well it climbs and how there is no pedal bobbing even under hard acceleration and I weigh 200lb with gear on @ 6'3".  really liking the 27.5 tire size as well. I am still rolling through roots and rock gardens pretty similar to the 29" but they feel a lot smaller in the turns.

Eta: I picked up the 3 as well. Will upgrade as needed. Only pick I got with from a ride with the kid.

Eta2: it's a good all around bike. I needed a bike that could handle some steep/fast/technical down hills but still be able to climb back to the top mixed in with some single track than is mostly flat over all but with short climbs and descents. It's doing all I ask it to and still can handle a lot more.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I will send you an IM later. I am selling my Ellsworth and I will give you a great price on it. MSRP on everything on the bike was about 6500

Just saw you are 6". I am 5 9 and the bike is a small, it wont fit you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top