Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2013 5:15:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 5:17:42 PM EST by TexasRifleman1985]
Did an oil change... Inspected oil container (5qt jug) to see if it had all drained into the funnel, and I see this crap in the container:

WTF?!? Never seen that before. There's more of it than appears in the photo. Some sort of brown goo.

Additives perhaps... But I have never seen them settle out like that.

What really bugs me is I don't recall breaking the seal on this oil jug... Concerned about tampering.

Should I immediately drain the bitch again and put fresh, goo free oil in?

Penzoil Ultra synthetic is the oil in question.

Advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:20:50 PM EST
I've seen stuff like that in bottles and bulk oil. Not really sure what it is, does not seem to be brand specific or anything

else. I've never seen any harm because of it either. That being said, I bet if you bring it to Pennzoil's attention, you'll get some free stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:23:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 5:25:19 PM EST by TexasRifleman1985]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AnticitizenOne:
I've seen stuff like that in bottles and bulk oil. Not really sure what it is, does not seem to be brand specific or anything

else. I've never seen any harm because of it either. That being said, I bet if you bring it to Pennzoil's attention, you'll get some free stuff.
View Quote

Good point, and thanks for the input.

I ain't starting the vehicle until there is consensus of GD.

My OCD really wants to drain that shit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:25:56 PM EST
I always shake my oil well before pouring after seeing stuff like that years ago.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:27:17 PM EST
I have never seen that in Mobil 1 or Shell Rotella

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:27:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By VBC:
I always shake my oil well before pouring after seeing stuff like that years ago.

View Quote

Interesting... Perhaps I just got lucky never seeing crap like that before.

What really concerns me is the possibility that it was tampered with at the store.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:27:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By Samuel:

View Quote

Neither did I, when I used Mobil 1... Might switch back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:28:20 PM EST
Pennzoil....found the problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:30:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By tyman:
View Quote

Oddly that stuff is highly recommended by knowledgeable folks... Something about base stocks and good additives.

But yeah... Never saw goop in a Mobil 1 bottle.

I'm still mainly worried about it being some kind of tampering at the store... If it's just settled additives, I might consider switching to a different oil, but I wouldn't be too worried.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:33:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By TexasRifleman1985:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

By all means, drain it if you don't like it, then contact Pennzoil and tell them what's up. It's your peace of mind at stake here. No sense

worrying about it for the next 5,000 miles. Poster above recommending shaking it is probably right, that stuff just separated out. I did see

some gear oil completely separate like Italian dressing once. It was high end race junk, the oil vender said it was normal,

just shake it up and put it in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:35:19 PM EST
By all means, drain it if you don't like it, then contact Pennzoil and tell them what's up. It's your peace of mind at stake here. No sense

worrying about it for the next 5,000 miles. Poster above recommending shaking it is probably right, that stuff just separated out. I did see

some gear oil completely separate like Italian dressing once. It was high end race junk, the oil vender said it was normal,

View All Quotes

Seven more quarts of oil really isn't that expensive, compared to my OCD gnawing at me for a long assed time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:36:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By Samuel:

View Quote

Shell and Pennzoil are the same company. I wouldn't worry about it, probably just some additives.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:37:49 PM EST
"Seven more quarts of oil really isn't that expensive, compared to my OCD gnawing at me for a long assed time."

Yup exactly my point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:38:01 PM EST

Oddly that stuff is highly recommended by knowledgeable folks... Something about base stocks and good additives.

I'm still mainly worried about it being some kind of tampering at the store... If it's just settled additives, I might consider switching to a different oil, but I wouldn't be too worried.
View All Quotes

I've gotten bottles of Pennzoil before with no tamper seal under the cap. It seems more recently they've stopped using the foil seal.

I would think it's some kind of additive that either settled out or floated up because the bottle sat for a while. I haven't used that line of oil but I've seen stuff settled out in other kinds of oil. That's why I shake 'em up.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:39:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 5:40:40 PM EST by abpt1]
nm

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:41:18 PM EST
..... Gesundheit......
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:45:48 PM EST
I sell about 15 million gallons of oil a year.

I would not be using that oil.

The additive package didn't mix with the base oil properly. Chances are the blending facility didn't have the base oil heated up properly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:48:57 PM EST

I've gotten bottles of Pennzoil before with no tamper seal under the cap. It seems more recently they've stopped using the foil seal.

I would think it's some kind of additive that either settled out or floated up because the bottle sat for a while. I haven't used that line of oil but I've seen stuff settled out in other kinds of oil. That's why I shake 'em up.

View All Quotes

They don't have foil, but they do have a soda-style security ring on the cap.

I do not recall breaking said seal... Might not have noticed it. But I remember opening it before putting it in and thinking "gee, that opened really easy..." Enough to concern me that it might not have been sealed... Used my light to inspect the oil and make sure it wasn't someones used oil or something. Looked fine, so I put it in... Then I check to see if it all drained out and see that crap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:50:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

The additive package didn't mix with the base oil properly. Chances are the blending facility didn't have the base oil heated up properly.
View Quote

Yup... That's all I needed to push me from "thinking about draining the oil" to "yup, draining that bitch".

Is draining and swapping enough, or should I flush it? (new oil, run for a bit, drain, new oil again).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:50:43 PM EST
Did the oil bottles not have that aluminum seal on them?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:52:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By wookie1562:
Did the oil bottles not have that aluminum seal on them?
View Quote

Penzoil stopped using the foil seal. They solely depend on a soda-bottle style security ring on the cap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:05:19 PM EST

Yup... That's all I needed to push me from "thinking about draining the oil" to "yup, draining that bitch".

Is draining and swapping enough, or should I flush it? (new oil, run for a bit, drain, new oil again).
View All Quotes

Drain it, change the filter and you will be good to go.

Not a big deal but its something the blending facility's lab should of caught. I see it a lot on non api approved oils and cheap hydraulic fluids.

To simplify things, when say a 5w30 is made. You have a 100 or 150 neutral base oil and your additive package. Your additive package comes on a big bale, imagine a bag of multch, but polymers. This then gets shredded and mixed with the hot base oil. If the base oil isn't hot enough then the polymers won't melt and mix with the oil. And this is the result of it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:09:43 PM EST

Not a big deal but its something the blending facility's lab should of caught. I see it a lot on non api approved oils and cheap hydraulic fluids.

To simplify things, when say a 5w30 is made. You have a 100 or 150 neutral base oil and your additive package. Your additive package comes on a big bale, imagine a bag of multch, but polymers. This then gets shredded and mixed with the hot base oil. If the base oil isn't hot enough then the polymers won't melt and mix with the oil. And this is the result of it.
View All Quotes

Understood. I follow you.

Will be swapping oil and filter.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:12:47 PM EST

View Quote

How do you shake it after it's sat in your car for a week without it running?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:16:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By stutzcattle:

View All Quotes

Stan on the hood and jump up and down
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:18:02 PM EST

View All Quotes

Drive down a bumpy road.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:26:14 PM EST
As was said earlier, it's additive that didn't blend with the base oil. We see it all the time in the refining industry, some folks freak out over it, most just let it be and don't worry about it. The engineers at the plant have told us it's all good, and that's to run in a 10,000 rpm plus multi-stage gas compressor, so I don't worry about it in my vehicles.
$0.02
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:31:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By Claybeaux232:
As was said earlier, it's additive that didn't blend with the base oil. We see it all the time in the refining industry, some folks freak out over it, most just let it be and don't worry about it. The engineers at the plant have told us it's all good, and that's to run in a 10,000 rpm plus multi-stage gas compressor, so I don't worry about it in my vehicles.
$0.02
View Quote

Way different applications.

If your engineers are letting that slip on a turbine grade oil the holy shit. I supply a number of refineries and compressor plants. We pre filter everything going into the ones we deliver. Which would cut that problem out right away. As well it will just sink to the bottom of the holding tank and probably not get used. Plus the sheer size difference in the application. Huge capacities vs a few quarts. Hot system vs. Cold system. Etc.

In his application its going to hit his oil filter right away and get caught in it. Which is going to pre maturely plug his oil filter. That could cause some fun issues later.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:31:59 PM EST

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:39:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 6:40:34 PM EST by SixSquared]
Interdasting. Have used Mobil 1 to good effect for many years in numerous vehicles and Rotella T5 in my 460 Ford F350, and have never seen this. I have always wondered about the Pennzoil syns because they can be picked up pretty cheap. Maybe they're cheap for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:40:13 PM EST
I would replace the engine before it ruins the rest of the car.

Seriously I would let it go and never look back.

By the way most of the oil bypasses the filter. It only filters a small amount at a time. The engine will run with a plugged filter if it had to.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:40:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By GoCart-Mozart:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GoCart-Mozart:

It's excessive, I acknowledge. But excessive is another word for giving a shit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:41:39 PM EST
If i noticed that in new oil I would drain that shit and get some new oil.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:42:11 PM EST
It is just some leftover of the super secret peanut butter additive package.

Pennzoil ninjas will be along shortly to cut your head off and collect the evidence.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:43:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mikebiker:
I would replace the engine before it ruins the rest of the car.

Seriously I would let it go and never look back.

By the way most of the oil bypasses the filter. It only filters a small amount at a time. The engine will run with a plugged filter if it had to.
View Quote

Meh. Not a lot of money and it gives me peace of mind.

Thanks for the input though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:43:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By SixSquared:
Interdasting. Have used Mobil 1 to good effect for many years in numerous vehicles or Rotella T5 in my 460 Ford F350, and have never seen this. I have always wondered about the Pennzoil syns because they can be picked up pretty cheap. Maybe they're cheap for a reason.
View Quote

Pennzoil and rotella come from the same place.

Also, rotella sucks. Especially the T3. Bad sheer stability.

Kendall Super D-XA
Conoco Guardol
Chevron delo

3 best 15w40s on the market right now. Plus your not paying for their half a billion marketing campaign.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:43:24 PM EST
Additives not in solution. I have Never seen an oil related failure. Lighten up Francis. You will not have a problem.

Is this a turboed, supercharged, high rpm application?

If it was, you should have been using better oil.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:46:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 6:48:06 PM EST by TexasRifleman1985]
Originally Posted By DaddGoneMadd:
Additives not in solution. I have Never seen an oil related failure. Lighten up Francis. You will not have a problem.

Is this a turboed, supercharged, high rpm application?

If it was, you should have been using better oil.

View Quote

Nope.

I appreciate the input, but swapping the oil is cheaper than getting a script for prozac.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:47:50 PM EST
but how are you going to get to the store to get more oil?????
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:50:08 PM EST

Kendall Super D-XA
Conoco Guardol
Chevron delo

3 best 15w40s on the market right now. Plus your not paying for their half a billion marketing campaign.
View All Quotes
Interdasting. Have used Mobil 1 to good effect for many years in numerous vehicles or Rotella T5 in my 460 Ford F350, and have never seen this. I have always wondered about the Pennzoil syns because they can be picked up pretty cheap. Maybe they're cheap for a reason.

Kendall Super D-XA
Conoco Guardol
Chevron delo

I've been telling my diesel customers Rotella sucks for years. The HEUI injection systems seem to rip the additive package to pieces, especially when they run hard at or near 4,000 psi for extended periods.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:50:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By chesterthehero:
but how are you going to get to the store to get more oil?????
View Quote

Walking.

I could get friends to drive me. But I don't mind walking. Only about 3 miles.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:51:23 PM EST

Kendall Super D-XA
Conoco Guardol
Chevron delo

View All Quotes

Kendall Super D-XA
Conoco Guardol
Chevron delo

What about 5w20s? My F150 ate an engine (valve, to be specific) not that long ago, and I'd like to keep from repeating that experience if at all possible.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:52:37 PM EST
Dude,

Go get a big bottle of Mobile1...
Buy a QUALITY filter, Purolator, Wix, Motorcraft, AC-Delco, (not the Fram shit).

Don't worry for the next 5K miles.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:59:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 7:01:57 PM EST by Foxtrot08]
Originally Posted By M82Assault:

What about 5w20s? My F150 ate an engine (valve, to be specific) not that long ago, and I'd like to keep from repeating that experience if at all possible.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M82Assault:

Kendall Super D-XA
Conoco Guardol
Chevron delo

As much as Mobil sucks on heavy duty and industrial products, their full synthetic line is probably the best. Their regular line of synthetic blends avoid.

Full synthetics:
Mobil one
Kendall GT one
Valvoline

Synthetic blends:
Kendall GT1
Conoco super AS (also known as Honda and ford OEM oil)

Conoco/philips66/conocophilips is the OEM for Ford motor craft and Honda currently.

Mopar is shell/Pennzoil

GM is Mobil

Edit:

I have an issue with recommending companies that don't make their own base oils.

Right now the only major oil companies that make their own base oils in the us:

Conoco Phillips
Mobil
Chevron
Petro Canada
Shell
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:03:35 PM EST
OMG you people...
Not one person mentioned oil analysis...
Not one person mentioned Blackstone Labs...

Mobil 1, full syn, 10W-30...at least 30K miles per oil change. Oil analysis come back, lowest score ever 93/100 .
Vehicle V6 SUV, 170K miles.
I even stopped changing my oil filter every 15K and just do it at the time of oil change.

People you really need to stop freaking out about oil. Run a full syn, and change your oil WETF you fell like it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:04:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By pv74:
Dude,

Go get a big bottle of Mobile1...
Buy a QUALITY filter, Purolator, Wix, Motorcraft, AC-Delco, (not the Fram shit).

Don't worry for the next 5K miles.
View Quote

I use AC Delco filters. Always have.

Used Mobil 1 for a long time. Will be switching back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:08:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By Juker008:
OMG you people...

Mobil 1, full syn, 10W-30...at least 30K miles per oil change. Oil analysis come back, lowest score ever 93/100 .
I even stopped changing my oil filter every 15K and just do it at the time of oil change.

People you really need to stop freaking out about oil. Run a full syn, and change your oil WETF you fell like it.
View Quote

Because this had nothing to do with mileage or what he found in a post drain analysis?

This has to do with a simple miss blend.

I would suggest you stop and read.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:21:38 PM EST

Because this had nothing to do with mileage or what he found in a post drain analysis?

View All Quotes
OMG you people...

If only I could find your agenda to your post...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:28:25 PM EST

View All Quotes
OMG you people...

So, you are going with run the peanut butter oil until blackstone says change it? Should he do an analysis before he starts it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:32:54 PM EST
Paraffin, when it heats up, you won't see it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:37:27 PM EST
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top