Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 4:14:42 PM EDT
Do any of you monitor channel 9 on the CBs in your cars? Or does your car even have a CB for that matter?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Breaker breaker 1   9  this here's the rubber duck.

I doubt most patrol cars have CB's any more although in the 70's it was not at all uncommon.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
When I worked at the P.D (10 years ago) - no cb's in the squads.

I don't think there are very many squads that have cb's anymore - radio traffic isn't secure. I believe some of the new radios have the capability to switch back and forth, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I can remember when the state troopers monitored Ch9.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
No CB's in our vehicles.  Don't really know of an agency that does.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Breaker breaker 1   9  this here's the rubber duck.

I doubt most patrol cars have CB's any more although in the 70's it was not at all uncommon.

I have one in my truck and I report people on channel 9 when I see a suspicious driver (swerving, driving in the wrong lane, etc). Just seeing if anyone actually listens.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I think a few CHP units still have them, but most PD and SOs do not have them anymore.  You see a few is the sparsely populated areas of CA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
i have seen signs on the highways that read - "state police monitor ch 9" , i think it was TN or OH .. usualy near truckstops or weigh stations... i don't know if that's in the patrol cars or a base station.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No CB's in our vehicles.  Don't really know of an agency that does.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Same

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Cell phones killed the CB radio as far as emergency communications is concerned.
My car is so crammed full of other electronics that there's just not much room for anything else.
I can see where the CB would still be an asset to the State Troopers, or anyone else that routinely works the highways. The truckers still use them, but that's also a downside...

I have one in my pickup. I can't leave it on with the spousal unit, or kids in the truck. The language used is like your ringside at a drunken sailor convention. AND, it's being beamed at you in about a bazzillion watts of power.  I don't turn mine on much. If I run up on a traffic jam or something, I can tune in, and generally find out what's going on. Other than that, It's pretty useless to me. Mostly just noise.
YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]
no   cb's
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been on 14 years, never had it.  Started off with a Motorola STX  and now a Maacom that supposedly lets a lot of other LEO's get onto our system in case there needs to be multi-dept. communications.  My dad came on same dept. (San Antonio) back in '77 and I'm not so sure they had the CB's even then.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Breaker.....breaker I'm pullin into the truck stop right now to pick up my bag of coke....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]
No CB's.  Cell phones have about killed them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
When I started in '96, quite a few of us still put cb's in our car, not for channel 9 but to talk with each other off the radio. The cb's died out after a few years b/c of nextel and cell phones. But for my $.02, the cb's were a lot more practical.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
You're better off to call in any trouble on a cell phone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When I started in '96, quite a few of us still put cb's in our car, not for channel 9 but to talk with each other off the radio. The cb's died out after a few years b/c of nextel and cell phones. But for my $.02, the cb's were a lot more practical.

For offroading clubs CB is still the best.   Cheap easy coms for a group that doesn't get more than a mile or two apart.  
Problem with CB is the FCC kind of threw in the towel and don't enforce the laws governing them to hard.  This led to
a shitton of people running amps and all kinds of illegal stuff  that makes the bandwidth almost useless to casual users
in many locations.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#17]
No...being local.  I'm sure that State Police still does.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#18]
**Not a Law Enforcement Officer in anyway shape of form**

Some License and Weight units might.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Was driving up I-75 back in '95 or so with now ex-wife, think we were in Tennessee when we heard a report of a smoky, then we heard someone report "He's doing a double-left, double-left", next thing we heard was "I ain't no he"...  So at that time, at least, some of the departments in Tennessee had them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#20]
We don't use them, and I'd be stunned if Ohio State Patrol uses them.  I would not be surprised if somehow there are a lot fewer LE agencies, but the existing ones are just a whole lot larger.  A lot of talk of "going metro", and working with other agencies for Homeland Security purposes.  A big part of that is communications.  Everyone's trying to standardize their equipment (for the most part anyway) around here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Had one 14 years ago when I started. Didn't last long when computers, printers, etc. started taking up space. Don't know of anybody around here, including Troopers that have them now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]
We carry them in our SO vehicles, come in handy sometimes. But since a large amount of truckers are Eastern European, and I only understand a smattering of Russian, I don't use it much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top