Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:43:48 AM EDT
What is the proper pronunciation of "Recce" as in a Recon style carbine?

I've heard both [Re-kee] as well as [Ree-see].
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Never thought about it.  I'm always saying "wretch-e".  Prololly rong
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Re-kee, derived from Recon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a cunning linguist!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Much like "Vltor", I try to avoid pronouncing that word, in all honesty.

(I'm a decent linguist and I consider myself well read but until recently I would say "Resh" in my head when I read "Recce". Don't ask why. Maybe because "Recky" sounds stupid to me.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
STU-pid

I'll take my SP1 over than fancy newfangled shit any day of the week.
And twice on sundays!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am a cunning linguist!

I study many languages, too.  My problem is I get distracted by always needing to put things away, ya know, crossing my "t"s and dotting my "i"s.  My wife's calls me an anal linguist.  I just can't help it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#10]
What about CETME?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never thought about it.  I'm always saying "wretch-e".  Prololly rong

No, that's how to pronounce Christina Ricci's last name.

Ding ding...that's it.  I couldn't figure out how/why I was saying it that way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#13]
As far as I knew, it's pronounced "reek" as in something stinks.....  

Essentially the first syllable of reconnaisance.  Never heard it pronounced any other way, either.

Re-kee doesn't make a whole lot of sense    Sounds retarded to me, but what do I know.

At least the Jarheads had enough sense to call themselves Force Recon, and not Force Re-kee  Sound's like a bad anime film.

ETA: for macman37, I thought it was pronounced 'viltor' but i was apparently wrong, apon looking it up....   Right from their site :

Question: What does VLTOR mean?
Answer: VLTOR is the ancient Roman spelling for the Latin word ULTOR, meaning "Avenger". This word was commonly used to describe the Roman God of War "Mars".

Makes much sense now.  I'd figured it was some eastern european type surname.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#14]
well, i can tell you without a doubt, the only way i've heard it pronounced in the military (us, uk, and an rli vet) is "wreck-ee". it is a hard "K".
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
As far as I knew, it's pronounced "reek" as in something stinks.....  

Essentially the first syllable of reconnaisance.  Never heard it pronounced any other way, either.

Re-kee doesn't make a whole lot of sense    Sounds retarded to me, but what do I know.

At least the Jarheads had enough sense to call themselves Force Recon, and not Force Re-kee  Sound's like a bad anime film.

ETA: for macman37, I thought it was pronounced 'viltor' but i was apparently wrong, apon looking it up....   Right from their site :

Question: What does VLTOR mean?
Answer: VLTOR is the ancient Roman spelling for the Latin word ULTOR, meaning "Avenger". This word was commonly used to describe the Roman God of War "Mars".

Makes much sense now.  I'd figured it was some eastern european type surname.  

Re: Vltor... I'd pronounced it the exact same way until a couple months ago when I read an article by David Fortier in which he tells the proper pronounciation... But still, say "Ultor" out loud. Sounds wierd.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top