Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2013 4:38:31 AM EDT
If I was to purchase the chemical components to make my own thermite, and mixed them together, would the mixture be legal?
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I was to purchase the chemical components to make my own thermite, and mixed them together, would the mixture be legal?

NO I AM NOT A LAWYER BUT I DID ALOT OF DEMO IN THE .MIL WAS GIVEN MANY VERY  CONVINCING BRIEFINGS FROM FBI AGENTS ON WHAT WAS LEGAL. DO NOT DO IT.   IN FACT DO NOT PUT THE COMPONENTS IN THE SAME ROOM TREAT THEM LIKE A SBR UPPER AND UNREGISTERED LOWER.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a lawyer but from what I understand it is legal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Did some research on this a couple years ago. It seems to be legal. Its pretty stable, non explosive, and requires a very high temp ignition source. If there was a law banning it, it would be very unenforceable as the materials needed can be found quite easily.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:00:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO I AM NOT A LAWYER BUT I DID ALOT OF DEMO IN THE .MIL WAS GIVEN MANY VERY  CONVINCING BRIEFINGS FROM FBI AGENTS ON WHAT WAS LEGAL. DO NOT DO IT.   IN FACT DO NOT PUT THE COMPONENTS IN THE SAME ROOM TREAT THEM LIKE A SBR UPPER AND UNREGISTERED LOWER.

Huh?  Thermite is used in welding.  There was a video posted here sometime back of some railroad employees using it to weld rails.  It gets real hot, but no boom.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
You can buy it on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If rust and aluminum are illegal, every machine shop in the country is in violation. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thermite is not an explosive, it is an incendiary.

I could walk out to our shotblast room and have some "rough" thermite mixed up in like 5 minutes, done it before.

To ignite it, you need a road flare or some magnesium, or something that burns very hot.

Sometimes our dust barrels will spontaneously ignite if you open them too fast and let oxygen hit the aluminum/steel dust.
They won't explode, but they'll sit there and smolder for a week.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?  Thermite is used in welding.  There was a video posted here sometime back of some railroad employees using it to weld rails.  It gets real hot, but no boom.

All Thermite is, is aluminum (little flakes of it) and ferric oxide (aka red iron rust). No boom just very very hot. I've used it to weld tie plates. The hardest part is getting it to ignite, but I have successfully used a sparkler to do it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its fine. You really need to read more and not believe a bunch of douches with authoritative problems.

I guess I can't park my car in the garage with fertilized either-OMG WMDs.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I was just playing with some last week.

It's fun and safe.

Ok, maybe just fun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Even making most explosives is legal.  Its the storage that can get you in trouble.  So unless you have a legit and certified explosives bunker you have to use it the same day you make it.  It would also be illegal to transport it. State laws vary.  

And its still a loop hole the ATF can get you with.

you would have to make it where you intend to set it off.  not sure if thermite falls in the case category.  

Fun fact.  if you let thermite freeze it will detonate when you try and burn it. (well the military stuff any way)
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:12:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Because in order for it to ignite, the whole mail truck would have already been driven into a volcano
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because in order for it to ignite, the whole mail truck would have already been driven into a volcano

That would be an awesome video.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If rust and aluminum are illegal, every machine shop in the country is in violation. Just sayin'.

this....

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This here (3rd item and down) Says that you can buy it online and have it shipped since it is neither HazMat, nor requires any ATFE paperwork
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Because it has an internal oxygen source (the iron oxide), the reaction can't be stopped by methods that put out fire by depriving it of oxygen. Usually, the reaction just goes to completion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because it has an internal oxygen source (the iron oxide), the reaction can't be stopped by methods that put out fire by depriving it of oxygen. Usually, the reaction just goes to completion.

That is why you don't use more than you need
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

These FBI agents were full of shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top