Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 5:52:33 AM EDT
This is weird.  Been going on for the last 3-4 days.

When I wake up, I have a little sore throat.  I snort a small, very thick and dark mucus ball out of my nasal cavity.  Sore throat instantly goes away.

Throughout the day I am perfectly normal, except every once and a while, my nose all of a sudden starts tingling like crazy, instantly fills up and I have to blow my nose 6 or 7 times, and usually sneeze a bit too.
Then it all clears up, nose is clear and fine

It is usually a couple hours between the weird tingle/sneeze/nose blow thing.

It’s just weird.  What do you make of it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#1]
bump?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
mjohn, it is pretty common to experience the first part of your complaint.  It is usually from low humidity during the colder, drier months, and the throat gets a little sore, and the mucus tends to thicken and collect above the soft palate.  Cough it out, grab a sip of water and you feel better.  You can try sleeping with a cool mist humidifier, try to keep the room about 50% RH, and you will probably see improvement.

As to the second issue, it sounds like you might be reacting to something environmental.  Has anything changed in your surroundings or routine?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
bump?

This may sound disgusting, but when you blow your nose, what color is the mucus in the tissue?

Mucus is ordinarily clear. Green or brown mucus can indicate a sinus infection.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is weird.  Been going on for the last 3-4 days.

When I wake up, I have a little sore throat.  I snort a small, very thick and dark mucus ball out of my nasal cavity.  Sore throat instantly goes away.

Throughout the day I am perfectly normal, except every once and a while, my nose all of a sudden starts tingling like crazy, instantly fills up and I have to blow my nose 6 or 7 times, and usually sneeze a bit too.
Then it all clears up, nose is clear and fine

It is usually a couple hours between the weird tingle/sneeze/nose blow thing.

It’s just weird.  What do you make of it?

Do you smoke?

The am thing sounds like allergies.

After the tingling thing, is the snot clear?  Sounds like something irritating your nose and causing a parasympathetic response.  Hard to say what.

Now the typical disclaimer.....
While it doesn't sound serious based on your brief account, you  should seek medical attention immediately.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Since we are talking about runny noses.......and I am a shameless hijacker.....

When I eat sometimes my nose runs like a SOB.

It seems like it happens when I eat bread and pasta, or chips and salsa.

WTF???

Does this mean I'm allergic......to freakin bread and chips.....is that possible?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't smoke.

Musuc is clear all during the day...except in morning, that is so thick you can cut it with a knife and it is dark greyish.

I have a humidifier.  I will turn it on tonight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't smoke.

Musuc is clear all during the day...except in morning, that is so thick you can cut it with a knife and it is dark greyish.

wash your pillows, too!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Since we are talking about runny noses.......and I am a shameless hijacker.....

When I eat sometimes my nose runs like a SOB.

It seems like it happens when I eat bread and pasta, or chips and salsa.

WTF???

Does this mean I'm allergic......to freakin bread and chips.....is that possible?

Allergies can indeed flare up because of food. Chocolate makes my nose turn into niagra falls.

While I do have chronic sinus problems, certain foods make it positively awful.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't smoke.

An air purifier might be a good idea too.

As would regular nasal irrigation. Your sinuses tend to hold on to all sorts of crud that nasal irrigation will get rid of.

And whatever you do, DO NOT POST PICS!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there blood in the boogers you blow out in the morning?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is there blood in the boogers you blow out in the morning?

Nope
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top