Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 12:37:51 PM EDT
I'm having trouble getting MarineNet to run on my new laptop. The first couple courses ran fine in Chrome, even though the program usually works best in IE. But now I can't get it to work at all. When I try to open the course itself, it starts to load, than says "please wait", and never finishes loading. I contacted the help desk, but they were less than helpful. Here's their "resolution"

Dear PerniciousLies,

We are pleased to inform you that your reported Incident has been resolved.

Reference No.: INC000000089310
Summary: Course Launch Issues: 35IMVOHV10

Your reported Incident has been resolved with the following resolution:
Sir,

Your Windows 8 IE10 OS is not compatible with Marine Net courses. You will need to switch to a computer with Windows 7 or less using IE9 or below.

MarineNet course material is designed to interact - best - with an NMCI type setup: IE7 or IE8 on a Win XP (or Win 7) baseline. Due to this service model, we are currently unable to provide technical assistance if you encounter a technical issue on any baseline outside of IE7/8/Win XP (support is available for Win 7 w/IE9 users.)

There has to be a way around that. Please help! I need to get my HMMWV courses done!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
So, this is a web browser based thing?

Your actual operating system shouldn't really matter, just the browser you use, unless I'm just completely missing something.

Have you got IE10 installed?  If so, start up IE10 (Make sure you start it up in 'Desktop Mode', else this might not work!), and hit the F12 key.  That should bring up a developer tools section at the bottom, click the "Browser Mode" button, and try selecting IE9 or IE8 and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm assuming it is a browser issue, but I am computer dumb. I tried your suggestion, and found the debug selection, but can't find a browser settings tab.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like with Windows 8, I can't use IE9, but I can try an emulater. I'll see if that works.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Compatibility mode on the browser.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
When I try compatibility, I get 404, file not found.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
try clearing your temp file in IE and and clear ssl state.

tools

internet options

delete browsing history on general tab

clear ssl state on content tab

restart IE and try again
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If you were local and I had the ability to sit down with your laptop for a few hours, I think I would probably just try to fix this by creating a small partition, getting a copy of XP Pro or 7 (Although I think XP is getting so old that there are sometimes problems obtaining drivers for certain things now, but it's STILL better than 8), and then setting up a dual boot system for the two OSes.  Assuming you can still dual boot 8 with an older OS.

The other thing you might try is setting up a virtual machine.  Essentially create a new simulated computer running inside your computer, then load it up with a compatible OS such as XP or 7, install IE8 or 9 or whatever oldass crappy browser you need, and go to work.  Unfortunately this is something I've never messed with outside of some limited use on servers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you were local and I had the ability to sit down with your laptop for a few hours, I think I would probably just try to fix this by creating a small partition, getting a copy of XP Pro or 7 (Although I think XP is getting so old that there are sometimes problems obtaining drivers for certain things now, but it's STILL better than 8), and then setting up a dual boot system for the two OSes.  Assuming you can still dual boot 8 with an older OS.

The other thing you might try is setting up a virtual machine.  Essentially create a new simulated computer running inside your computer, then load it up with a compatible OS such as XP or 7, install IE8 or 9 or whatever oldass crappy browser you need, and go to work.  Unfortunately this is something I've never messed with outside of some limited use on servers.
View Quote

That is so far over my head, I can't even see it

I've tried everything else suggested, and still no luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top