Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:44:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 6:44:38 PM EDT by mr_camera_man]
I'd like this to stay in GD at least unril morning, to get a big pile of responses if possible.

Here is the truck.

Truck is a 4.3L, 5 speed, base strip-job work truck with 43k on it, and pretty darn clean. I'll be coming out of an '03 Mitsubishi Galant. This store is part of the dealership group that I work in, so I can get the truck for $7500 (500 over cost). My commute is 8 miles each way, stop and go. For reasons I'm not quite sure of, this damn truck has been bouncing around in my head since I found it in inventory on Tuesday... what say you?

Pros:
With creative number-smithing, a $100/mo smaller car payment... money's kinda tight around here
Slightly lower miles, Galant is at 48k
Ability to handle light towing, like maybe a rental pop-up camper
For all practical purposes, indestructable with the use I'd be throwing at it
May hold resale a little better than the Galant, but probably not a huge difference

Cons:
Giving up such luxuries as cloth seats, auto trans and power windows
Gas mileage
Stereo has been removed (and a pile of Best Buy gift cards waiting to fix that)
No back seat (wife's car available if necessary)
Worse winter traction
Galant is already very reliable, do I tempt fate?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 6:45:59 PM EDT by kill-9]
IBTP

No, go find a good used Toyota instead.

ETA: Also, get one with an extended cab. You'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:49:20 PM EDT
The 4.3 V6 is usually a decent motor overall. Manual trannies last a long time provided nobody does anything collossolly stupid.

Personally, I wouldn't pay over 7000 for it, but that is just me. See if you can talk them down to 6500 or below.

If the truck truly is clean (good paint, no blemishes, no engine problems, no bed damage, everything under the truck in good shape) then it might be a decent buy. Have them put it up on the lift so you can examine the undercarriage, look for leaks, etc.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:12:30 PM EDT
I'll go back tomorrow and get it on the lift, and talk numbers with the manager. I'm fairly certain that I can't get any lower on the price, but I'll ask the owner if he's there.

As much as I'd love a Tacoma, I haven't seen any import trucks come across any of our lots in the year and change that I've worked there. I'd also think that a Toyota for the same money will be a good bit rougher. The main factor here is the smaller car payment.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:15:04 PM EDT
A stripped down truck like that will be hard to resell. People want power options, a v8, and 4x4.

For that same price, you can buy the previous body style with full power, v8 extended cab and 4wd.
Other then an intake gasket issue, the 96-98 Chevy pickups are very reliable, and you should still be able to get milage in the mid to upper teens with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:20:13 PM EDT
An 8 mile commute, so gas mileage isn't really an issue... just avoid driving it when you don't have to?

Those 4.3L engines are pretty bulletproof, though, don't expect to tow much... but that's not why you're buying it, right?

Would I buy it? No... I don't need a truck. If you think you'll use it as a truck, I'd say it's a decent choice, though, as a commuter, trucks are retarded.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:36:41 PM EDT
I recently picked up an Extended Cab '01 Silverado with the 4.8 V8. Test drove a V6 of the same and it just didn't get out of it's own way. Not sure how the shorter cab/manual trans differ in that regards. Drive it and if it meets your expectations - go for it. That V6 is a rock solid engine in my experience.

You will take a hit on resale, older trucks that aren't equipped for hauling aren't as heavily sought after.

You're weighing your options so I'm sure you'll make an informed decision. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:47:59 AM EDT
Bump for the morning crew... opinions appreciated
Top Top