Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 9:57:36 AM EDT
My 8 year old "Perfect Flame" from Lowe's finally shit the bed.  I replaced all the burners and shields and tacked in new sheet metal burner supports 2 years ago, but now the replacement burners are cracked or blown out and its finally time to send it to the scrap heap.

I am looking at Weber grills.  They're pricey, but definitely seem better built than anything else I can find.  I'm thinking about this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Spirit-E-310-3-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-Featuring-the-Gourmet-BBQ-System-46513101/204706696

I know I can get a bigger grill with more burners for $200, but they all seem flimsy and cheap.  You get what you pay for...

What says the hive?  Is Weber GTG?  Any other brands I should be considering?  Before you say, "charcoal or go kill yourself", we grill most nights during during the spring/summer/fall.  I love charcoal grilled taste as much as the next guy, but I get home after 6pm.  I really don't have time to start up coals every night.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I've owned a Weber Summit for over five years now. I live close to the beach with a constant ocean breeze. It's been sitting uncovered most of that time. If I give it a good cleaning it still looks brand new. It was damn expensive but (at least with Weber) you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I only got a few more years out of the Spirit I had than I would have from a cheapo grill. To be fair, there wasn't as much markup on them when I bought mine, I got it through Amazon, and it was one of the few natural gas grills I could find anywhere (I have a hard line from the house supply). I was happy with it, but I did have to replace parts (not the burners--those were still good) in the 6 or 7 years I used it before the bottom rusted out and the doors fell off (pro tip: you can't keep the fire lit without those doors or something to block the draft). They're the cheap line of Webers. Get a Genesis if you're serious about Weber.

Obligatory: Charcoal is better and really doesn't take long to get going.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've just bought 2 of the $99 Brinkman two burner grills.  One for work and one for home.  Both will be stored indoors.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Dumb question, but since you have the ability to tack parts onto your current grill does that mean you can weld? Any thoughts on making your own grill?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
i have one of the cheaper webers gas silver series that I bought almost 14yrs ago still works and no significant rust.  I have it covered and generally keep it somewhat sheltered but it says out for the most part no issues.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 8 year old "Perfect Flame" from Lowe's finally shit the bed.  I replaced all the burners and shields and tacked in new sheet metal burner supports 2 years ago, but now the replacement burners are cracked or blown out and its finally time to send it to the scrap heap.

I am looking at Weber grills.  They're pricey, but definitely seem better built than anything else I can find.  I'm thinking about this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Spirit-E-310-3-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-Featuring-the-Gourmet-BBQ-System-46513101/204706696

I know I can get a bigger grill with more burners for $200, but they all seem flimsy and cheap.  You get what you pay for...

What says the hive?  Is Weber GTG?  Any other brands I should be considering?  Before you say, "charcoal or go kill yourself", we grill most nights during during the spring/summer/fall.  I love charcoal grilled taste as much as the next guy, but I get home after 6pm.  I really don't have time to start up coals every night.

View Quote

The spirit is definately webers budget grill.  I chose the genesis simply as a middle-ground and I have not been disappointed.  It is an $800 grill and cooks like you would expect an $800 grill to cook.  The parts that mechanically shield the gas system are drop-in no tools replacements and I have not seen the first bit of corrosion on the gas system and it has been 6 years.  The bottom deck of my grill (the base upon which the lp tank sets) did need to be replaced due to rust, but that was due to my beagle marking that corner of the grill for years.  I have made some changes to stop him from this behavior and I doubt I will need to engage in this repair again.  The part with hardware was about $40.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly - that will be a great grill, but you will be replacing the grill surface after a few years if you grill a lot and have decent humidity outside.

You should be looking at this grill:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genesis-S-330-3-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-6570001/202843415?N=5yc1vZc5t2Z1ls

I bought the S-310, and I absolutely love it.  I like having the huge solid stainless steel grilling surfaces, and more stainless inside. They make fantastic searing marks contrary to what some people will try and tell you.  I only wish I had gotten the 330 for side burner, and searing station.  I have had mine for over 3 years and it still looks new.  We use it several times a week, year round.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've just bought 2 of the $99 Brinkman two burner grills.  One for work and one for home.  Both will be stored indoors.  

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/c9/c9eac3ea-865a-491e-a935-e6edb45a05f5_400.jpg
View Quote

I used the grills today cooking for 20 people...burgers and dogs.  it is not evenly dispersed heating and has a hot spot between the two burner elements...once learned it's not so bad and I can use it to my advantage.  just an fyi..good luck fellow grillmeister
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Weber Genesis E310  $699.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top