Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2016 6:38:10 PM EDT
I want to build this:

I literally am not even sure where to start.  Weld up a couple of hemispheres and plasma cut?

I've got a little 110V Mig welder, a 4" cutoff wheel, and a room temp IQ.  How would you go about building this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking that is cast.
It could be shaped, but that would be a real PITA to fit and make good plasma cuts on spheres.
View Quote

Any chance you could sling this over to GD? There was some kind of weird glitch.  Or I can just retry....

That one is made by some guy in his garage. It's not cast and he wants $1,200 for it, so I'm guessing it's a real PITA!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
To build that, it would take many hours of fabrication, cutting, welding to make it look anywhere close to this.  long term it would rust out anyway.  You would have to lay it out half a sphere at a time, cut, heat, weld and cut some more.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To build that, it would take many hours of fabrication, cutting, welding to make it look anywhere close to this.  long term it would rust out anyway.  You would have to lay it out half a sphere at a time, cut, heat, weld and cut some more.  
View Quote

What could I coat it with to prevent rust? Ceracote? engine paint?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I will ask a guy I used to work with who is a metal sculptor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would try a coating meant for high performance exhaust or turbo housings. They get pretty damned hot.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could use hi heat header paint, but you might have to do it several times a year....

Easiest way to build it would be to make a poster board globe , layout your design, then open it up flat and cut into small strips(1"-2"-3")  and use it as a pattern to water cut the strips on a water jet(with your designs cut in)..then make a jig to bend the patterns around and weld up..then grind and finish...looks time intensive but not super hard to build....Thinner material would allow wider pieces, but harder to shape on all 3 planes for someone inexperienced in metal work... but made from 1/4" steel in  1"  pie strips should allow you enough flex to make it and help with warpage if you know how to weld......just going to be a lot of welding/grinding involved........
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]

I like these better.

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Looks like he cut the ends off of propane tanks and welded them together to make spheres. Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I want to build this:

http://mikeshouts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Death-Star-Fire-Pit-Made-By-High-School-Welding-Class-image-2-630x420.jpg

I literally am not even sure where to start.  Weld up a couple of hemispheres and plasma cut?

I've got a little 110V Mig welder, a 4" cutoff wheel, and a room temp IQ.  How would you go about building this?
View Quote
OK, if I wanted to build this, first thing I'd do is look for a paper model of the deathstar...or a sphere.

Something like this template:

Get familiar with a planishing hammer too..

The other way I might approach something like this is look for an old mooring buoy

And then attack it with a cutoff blade, drill bits, etc to get the look you want. I'd shoot it with a simple BBQ black, because you're going to have to keep recoating no matter what. Unless you want to pay for a black iron oxide coat, center reflector I'd use a ceramic high temp paint, same basic construction method, probably use a plow disc as a base for it.

Post it up when you finish!

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Any chance you could sling this over to GD? There was some kind of weird glitch.  Or I can just retry....

That one is made by some guy in his garage. It's not cast and he wants $1,200 for it, so I'm guessing it's a real PITA!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It could be shaped, but that would be a real PITA to fit and make good plasma cuts on spheres.

You'd probably spend $1200 just on the tools and materials needed to build that and you'd still spend more time building it then if you took a second job at $10/hr to pay for it.

Fuck, give me that guys number and I'll buy it for $1200.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to use a high temp powder coat on sprint car parts. It worked well.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
My shop would have our bulkhead vendor spin roll the spheres, then off to our 3D tube laser place to have the design cut.

All we have to do is fab and weld.  But that's just me.  

You're on the right track with welding a globe and plasma cutting the design though.  The tricky part is locating the section halves.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
No way that's a casting. Too much empty space.

A couple of hemispheres welded toget then start cutting with a plasma would get you there for sure if you have to vision to see where you want to go.

Or drop a million bucks and get one of these.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Damn, if fitted, just pay the man.

Oh and hyper drive kicked in.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, if fitted, just pay the man.

Oh and hyper drive kicked in.....

Thanks mang!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK, if I wanted to build this, first thing I'd do is look for a paper model of the deathstar...or a sphere.

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/solid/sphere.gif

The other way I might approach something like this is look for an old mooring buoy
http://www.blueoceantackle.com/40_inch_steel_mooring_buoy.JPG

And then attack it with a cutoff blade, drill bits, etc to get the look you want. I'd shoot it with a simple BBQ black, because you're going to have to keep recoating no matter what. Unless you want to pay for a black iron oxide coat, center reflector I'd use a ceramic high temp paint, same basic construction method, probably use a plow disc as a base for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to build this:

http://mikeshouts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Death-Star-Fire-Pit-Made-By-High-School-Welding-Class-image-2-630x420.jpg

Living on the gulf coast a mooring bouy might actually be a tenable start. Interdasting!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You'd probably spend $1200 just on the tools and materials needed to build that and you'd still spend more time building it then if you took a second job at $10/hr to pay for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've spent a couple years looking for an excuse to buy a small plasma cutter. I've got a pretty decent compressor.

With my boat down it may make a nice time killer and the sammich maker would be most pleased.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]
If I was going to make one I would laser cut it how the paper template post shows, roll each football to the correct diameter, weld the seams and buff them flat
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Find some large aircraft salvage company.  Get one of the old walter kidde titanium spherical aircraft fire extinguishers.  The biggest ones I k now of are not that big a diameter, maybe 30", but there could be some larger out there on the big jumbo jets.  Cut the bottle in half at the weld line.
They use a alloy called beta 15-3-3-3 for this, and its not the best for high heat - they tend to scale up a lot, but if your fires don't get over 1400F then probably not a big problem.  This alloy will cut just fine with a plasma torch.
These bottles are not cast, but formed from sheet.  Not sure if they are spun formed or drawn in a press.

You might also be able to use the bottom part of two Weber grills.  They appear to be pretty close to a hemisphere.   Blast of the enamel of powder coat paint before you cut out the patterns with a plasma torch.   The 22" one looks like it could work, I don't know about th big one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#22]
That is cool
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
1200 is cheep for a one time part like that it will cost way more to make if you consider the cost of your labor into it. If you were doing 100's then it might be worth looking into tooling to do them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is cool
View Quote

Got a 36" metal sphere laying around?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
1200 is cheep for a one time part like that it will cost way more to make if you consider the cost of your labor into it. If you were doing 100's then it might be worth looking into tooling to do them.
View Quote

Labor in this case is opportunity cost. If I work on this instead of video games the labor costs is zero.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#26]
If you really want one, I'm thinking of drawing the DXF files and making myself one.  I'll give you the DXFs, you take it to a fab shop and say "please quote cutting this out of 3/16" A36 on your hi def plasma, and these parts rolled to X radius."  Then you weld it up yourself.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#27]
The idea of cutting the ends off of an old propane tank is the most feasible. Working a flat into a sphere would hell.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you really want one, I'm thinking of drawing the DXF files and making myself one.  I'll give you the DXFs, you take it to a fab shop and say "please quote cutting this out of 3/16" A36 on your hi def plasma, and these parts rolled to X radius."  Then you weld it up yourself.
View Quote

We run a HD Plasma table. Very accurate burning, but there's no way in hell you'd be able to form it in any way.  Let alone a hemisphere.  Swiss cheese doesn't bend well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We run a HD Plasma table. Very accurate burning, but there's no way in hell you'd be able to form it in any way.  Let alone a hemisphere.  Swiss cheese doesn't bend well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ericdye.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Challenge-Accepted-Meme.jpg

I think you are going with the football burn template, if I understand correctly.  Yes, with that design I could roll individual segments and tig them into a sphere, but it would be a total bitch to tack up, and would still have flats all around.  I thought the intent here was a globe.  Not being able to form it in any way was a bit of an overstatement on my part.  It really depends on how perforated the parts are.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to build this:

Yup it's a buoy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:25:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I would pay $1,200 for that right now.  Probably cost close to that for shipping though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#33]
ends of an old 250 gallon or larger propane tank is where I would start that project.  That, a plasma torch and a welder with a 30 pack and a afternoon.

Speed
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would pay $1,200 for that right now.  Probably cost close to that for shipping though.
View Quote

Shipping is 600 iirc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#37]
New spun hemispheres are around $7-800 each, old buoys are cheaper..

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think you are going with the football burn template, if I understand correctly.  Yes, with that design I could roll individual segments and tig them into a sphere, but it would be a total bitch to tack up, and would still have flats all around.  I thought the intent here was a globe.  Not being able to form it in any way was a bit of an overstatement on my part.  It really depends on how perforated the parts are.
View Quote

Crap you're right about the flats.  I gotta think about that part.

Eta. Depending on the width of each section I could make a radius die for the roll....
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I've got another idea based on one I saw at a bar in Lucerne.  It was a globe welded completely from scrap drops that were 2 to 6 inches big.  It will be a lot of work to tack up, but that's better than fucking around with cutoff wheels.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Really?

Nobody here has ever seen a spherical propane tank?

Just find a tank removed from service.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Cant zoom in a really good view but it looks plasma cut and very likely is. Cut off wheels? It would take a shitload of wheels to cut that much and a lot of time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Really?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/150_gallon_Propane_Tank.jpg

View Quote

Never saw one of those.
Looks a like BB 8
Whats a used harbor buoy cost?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#44]
That's hot
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm sick of star wars

Walked out of the movie theater in 1980 and said, "gee that was a great movie."

Then they came out with return of the jedi and it was merely OK

and then there was the hideousness of the prequels

and now this PC retread

fuck it
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Plasma cut sheet, English wheel to curve, weld multiple small sections to get sphere.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Really?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/150_gallon_Propane_Tank.jpg

View Quote

huh, I actually have never seen one like that, I was thinking of the larger ones and cut out the center section.

Speed

ETA if you search spherical propane tank on google images you will find several "death star" ones

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm sick of star wars

Walked out of the movie theater in 1980 and said, "gee that was a great movie."

Then they came out with return of the jedi and it was merely OK

and then there was the hideousness of the prequels

and now this PC retread

fuck it
View Quote

You did notice the Star Wars reference in the thread title, right?  You know, before you clicked on the thread?

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Two Weber grills?
View Quote

You'd end up with an egg shape.  I have a grill I'd gladly cut up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top