Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:01:25 PM EDT
I'm getting my license here soon, and I want my own bike. First off, let me say, I have plenty of experience riding and I will not be buying new, so a specific model and or year may not be possible.

I have a lot of experience riding, I raced dirt bikes when I was young, I still ride four wheelers and I borrow my Dad's Harleys (no loud pipes) pretty often. A heavy bike does not intimidate me, I've driven a dresser.

I really want a sport bike for the "fun" factor and sometime to get from point A to B with decent gas mileage. Yes, I do realize that maintenance tends to even out gas mileage to that of a car, this does not concern me. I have never ridden a sport bike, but I believe my skills put me beyond that "starter" bike range. I was thinking something like a Buell 600cc-1000cc, if I could find a Ducati for a decent price, I'd buy it too. Spending is around $3k.

What do you all think? What's a good bike?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]
get a used suzuki bandit 1200 all the fun and power u need.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My Suzuki dirt bike fell apart on me, has their quality improved some? It was a 97 model bike.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Ducati 800SS.  I got mine for less than $3k.  It needs some love, but it's a solid bike.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Hayabussa, hey you never said keep insurance premiums down.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ducati 800SS.  I got mine for less than $3k.  It needs some love, but it's a solid bike.  
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr82/valheru21/800ssRightSide.jpg

Beautiful bike, what year range is that particular one?

Quoted:

Strange, I never cared much for Busa's. I think I'm the only one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 2006.  The 750SS and 900SS's are a bit older, and can be had for a little less if you're willing to get your hands a bit greasy.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Strange, I never cared much for Busa's. I think I'm the only one.

Never cared much for em either. However a kid that used to live around bought one for super cheap off ebay. He also neglected to check insurance first.  IIRC it was over $600 a month. He no longer has it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my 06 GSX-R600 for a hair under 4k with 2002 miles on it, second owner, clear title, and a few aftermarket goodies. I would also add to your bike budget an additional $1500 for gear (if you want to be smart about it).

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, your budget is $3k, why don't I post some pictures of some esoteric crotch rockets that cost 10x that much?

Helpful? Sure.

Buy a nice sport standard, it's not as sexy but you can do more with it, cheaper to own and maintain, insure and fuel up. And, it won't make you feel like a pretzel after being on the saddle for 3 hours if you wanna take a trip...and still plenty of fun in the twisties.

SV650, Buell Uly, Bandit, FZ1, etc.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
i know a bunch of guys i know and worked with at a motorcycle dealership(including myself) love the SV 650.  fun torque and plenty of power for any kind of riding.  i see them take stock 600rr's and gsxr 600's  if you work em a bit,  they have them with or with out farings but check em out.  hella comfy.  i have dirtbike bars on my naked one just cuz i think they look cool.   a good pipe like an M4 and a powercomander III is all you need it give it a little somethin more.  Plus 1  they are very affordable and extremely reliable.  did i mention that the v twin sounds awesome?

naked
http://www.motorvike.com/images/SV_650.jpg

faring
http://members.shaw.ca/melvintan/SV650S/IMGP5256.jpg
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
how do i post a pic.  do i have to be a paying member?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forget Ducati anything if you want a cheap reliable everyday bike.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey, your budget is $3k, why don't I post some pictures of some esoteric crotch rockets that cost 10x that much?

Helpful? Sure.

Buy a nice sport standard, it's not as sexy but you can do more with it, cheaper to own and maintain, insure and fuel up. And, it won't make you feel like a pretzel after being on the saddle for 3 hours if you wanna take a trip...and still plenty of fun in the twisties.

Repairs are not a problem, my Dad and Brother are bike mechanics. I just want a sunny day DD, for commuting around town, I do not live in a city, so I'm not as worried about tards running me down, though it still is a worry.

Quoted:
i know a bunch of guys i know and worked with at a motorcycle dealership(including myself) love the SV 650.  fun torque and plenty of power for any kind of riding.  i see them take stock 600rr's and gsxr 600's  if you work em a bit,  they have them with or with out farings but check em out.  hella comfy.  i have dirtbike bars on my naked one just cuz i think they look cool.   a good pipe like an M4 and a powercomander III is all you need it give it a little somethin more.  Plus 1  they are very affordable and extremely reliable.  did i mention that the v twin sounds awesome?

naked

faring

That's a nice looking bike, definitely something to consider. Though, I still have a sour feeling in my stomach from the Suzuki I owned previously about reliability. I guess I should go to a dealership and test ride one or two.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many have you owned?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's Italian, but I didn't think it was as reliable as a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
how do i post a pic.  do i have to be a paying member?

But [ img ] (without the spaces) at the beginning, and [ /img ] (without the spaces) at the end.

Quoted:

naked

faring

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]

RC51, I loved mine!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Build one.

Ride it.

It's impossible to match that experience, once you fire it up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Build one.

Ride it.

It's impossible to match that experience, once you fire it up.

I've already got a project, see my avatar. I just want something to jump on and drive.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helpful? Sure.

Repairs are not a problem, my Dad and Brother are bike mechanics. I just want a sunny day DD, for commuting around town, I do not live in a city, so I'm not as worried about tards running me down, though it still is a worry.

Quoted:

naked

faring

That's a nice looking bike, definitely something to consider. Though, I still have a sour feeling in my stomach from the Suzuki I owned previously about reliability. I guess I should go to a dealership and test ride one or two.

you won't be disappointed.  had one come in the shop with 65000mi on it and it looked and ran like i just uncrated it,  suzuki has come a long way from your mid 90's mid tier dirtbike.  and thanks for tellin me how to post a pic!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Helpful? Sure.

Don't forget the Honda 919, 40+ mpg, comfortable, plenty of torque, handles well, it's a Honda so it's bulletproof and they are for sale at reasonable prices.  Slap on a set of Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's and lay it in the turns with confidence.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Oops.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Helpful? Sure.

Don't forget the Honda 919, 40+ mpg, comfortable, plenty of torque, handles well, it's a Honda so it's bulletproof and they are for sale at reasonable prices.  Slap on a set of Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's and lay it in the turns with confidence.

Good choice too.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many have you owned?

I owned an 07 S4rs for about 2 months, my brother currently rides it as its more his personality type.  I own or have owned BMW's (R1200GS, K75C) Yamaha's (YZ125, FZR600) Kwaks (Z1000 ZX7), a Suzuki (SV650), and an Aprilia (SL1000r) in addition to the ducati, what others have you owned besides your beginner Duck 800ss?  Up your nose with a rubber hose homeboy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Helpful? Sure.

Good choice too.

I like those style bikes, they look really muscular compared to the more "sportier" bikes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

this was my first bike and I loved it.  doable for $3K too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Helpful? Sure.

Good choice too.

I like those style bikes, they look really muscular compared to the more "sportier" bikes.

Its got a great motor too, one thing though, with no fairing you're gonna bounce around quite a bit.  I had a Z1000 with a bikini fairing, and at "speed" the wind would shake your fillings loose.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Whatever you do, get the loudest pipes you can for it.

They'll save your life.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#32]
For 3k you are looking at a used 600, any of the jap bikes will get the job done. But 600's are great starter street bikes fast and fun enough for a season or 2
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#33]
How many miles should I be looking at for my price range? I'm hoping to pick something post-2000 up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, get the loudest pipes you can for it.

They'll save your life.  

Not a Harley thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many have you owned?

I owned an 07 S4rs for about 2 months, my brother currently rides it as its more his personality type.  I own or have owned BMW's (R1200GS, K75C) Yamaha's (YZ125, FZR600) Kwaks (Z1000 ZX7), a Suzuki (SV650), and an Aprilia (SL1000r) in addition to the ducati, what others have you owned besides your beginner Duck 800ss?  Up your nose with a rubber hose homeboy.

2003 749 (my first bike)
2009 848 (my current bike)
2006 800SS (wife's first bike)

I maintain(ed) them all.  

I also have an '06 VFR Interceptor.  (for when we both want to ride)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How many miles should I be looking at for my price range? I'm hoping to pick something post-2000 up.

depends on what kind of bike you're at.  If you go with a 600 chances are its gonna have some hard miles on it with seeing a lot of time at WFO throttle.  Bigger motors tend to last longer as they're not as high strung or dependent upon RPM to move the bike along.  Check craigslist to find anything of interest, chances are you can find several bikes with low miles <15k with a decent asking price considering right now the riding season is nearing the end for most.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

2003 749 (my first bike) Thats a pretty ballsy choice for a first bike, maintenance and performance wise
2009 848 (my current bike) Nice machine!
2006 800SS (wife's first bike) well that would explain it then

I maintain(ed) them all.  

I've always had a thing for Interceptors, I may still pick one up one of these days soon, something about a V4.........

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always had a thing for Interceptors, I may still pick one up one of these days soon, something about a V4.........

It's for sale...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

depends on what kind of bike you're at.  If you go with a 600 chances are its gonna have some hard miles on it with seeing a lot of time at WFO throttle.  Bigger motors tend to last longer as they're not as high strung or dependent upon RPM to move the bike along. Check craigslist to find anything of interest, chances are you can find several bikes with low miles <15k with a decent asking price considering right now the riding season is nearing the end for most.

I'm looking to buy in a month or two, hoping to get the best price due to the end of the season.

I expect for the 600 to be beat a little, I'm mechanically inclined, so I think I can manage a rebuild if I fuck something up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#40]
For every aftermarket "improvement" listed, subtract $200 from your offer. It will cover things like buying actual connectors when you find bared wires twisted together, various missing washers and screws, actually jetting for the free-flowing exhaust (if carbureted), and whatever else they "forgot" to tell you about.

You would not believe how much people will fuck things up to make it "look cool."

Look it over REAL GOOD before you buy. Take someone who rides to go look at it with you, and by "someone who rides" I mean someone who has more tools than just 3 mismatched screwdrivers, vice grips, and a 20 piece socket set with 5 sockets missing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I would not recommend a buell or any of the euro bikes if you are on a 3k budget. Being more expensive bikes from the get go, you will almost certainly be getting less for your money. And even if you are going to maintain yourself, most parts for those bikes cost more, and i hate to say it, but high performance hand built bikes are more likely to have eccentricities. I am not dissing here, i own a Speed Triple myself, its just not what i would recommend for someone on a tight budget that intends to own one bike.

Lots of good used jap bikes out there right now. If i had to replace my triumph with something cheaper it would probably be a suzuki hayabusa, naked of course.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#42]
85 KLR 600
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Do yourself a favor and get an Ohlins steering damper on whatever you get.

I would recommend a 04+ Suzuki GSXR 600 if it's your first bike.

Also, get a new set of tires if the bike is used and you plan on riding aggressively...

If you go the sportbike route PM me, I can give you lots of tips to keep the rubber side down.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#44]

If you get a Duc, make friends with a Ducati mecahanic, they are good bikes but not cheap to maintain properly.

I would suggest you get a japanese bike to ride until you know what you really want long term.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you get a Duc, make friends with a Ducati mecahanic, they are good bikes but not cheap to maintain properly.

This statement is bullshit.  If you have a willingness to get dirty, they are as cheap to maintain properly as any Japanese bike.  If you're the kind of guy that pays a dealer, well... you're fucked.  

I would suggest you get a japanese bike to ride until you know what you really want long term.

Not a bad idea either.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#46]
My '09 GSX-R 1000. (a bit more than $3k!)

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#47]
As for the loud pipes saving your life comment, they don't. If a bad driver is going to ignore their surroundings because they are texting or on their cell phone or otherwise not paying attention to the road, you are screwed with or without loud pipes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

2003 749 (my first bike) [span style='color: red;']Thats a pretty ballsy choice for a first bike, maintenance and performance wise

Shee-it, Clem! The 749 could not pull the skim off of warm milk or knock the cock off a chocolate rooster. They might handle nice when you get them set up, but you gotta watch your mirrors to keep from getting hit with bird strikes from behind.

Seriously, I rode a 749 back when I had a Bimota and was in an italian bike club... One hard roll thru first gear and I was like "WTF??? is there something wrong with it?".     No. Balls.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This statement is bullshit.  If you have a willingness to get dirty, they are as cheap to maintain properly as any Japanese bike.  If you're the kind of guy that pays a dealer, well... you're fucked.  

Not a bad idea either.

Some people don't want to take a chance getting it wrong when doing those 800 mile interval cam drive belts. Yes, I know that 800 miles is for people who do trackdays, but some folks ride HARD frequently and would not want to take the chance that maybe  that belt would let go on them at 1000 miles if they didn't. Ducati is finally giving in to pressure-the 1198's replacement will have gear driven cams.

I would never have an Italian bike as my only ride. They just aren't the kinds of bikes that you can rely on to regularly head out of state on.  There is a reason nobody roadraces a Ducati in Endurance Racing.... Hell, Ducati didn't even get waterproof electrics until the 916 came out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top