Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2013 10:48:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:50:48 AM EDT
i have 20 feet of 12" AR500 that i was thinking about cutting down into targets and some into armor plate,,,

but im not sure i want to liability if i sell some off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:52:36 AM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sloppyjoe:

i have 20 feet of 12" AR500 that i was thinking about cutting down into targets and some into armor plate,,,

View Quote
I design and sell AR500 targets, and I won't touch body armor. Steel core 62 gr 5.56 goes righ through 0.25" AR500.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:53:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
I design and sell AR500 targets, and I won't touch body armor. Steel core 62 gr 5.56 goes righ through 0.25" AR500.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

thanks for that.

that post right there means i will cut it down to small rounds and squares for target shooting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:55:55 AM EDT
took em 5 pages.

get with it mods!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:56:40 AM EDT
Didn't some of the DIY solutions have PEI 5 rated ceramic tiles laminated onto the strike side and fare better in testing?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:57:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sitkashooter:
took em 5 pages.

get with it mods!!
View Quote

Even mods need some nappy time after a sandwich and milk
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:58:23 AM EDT
bcauz3y's DIY thread is still there
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:59:41 AM EDT

View Quote

"Oddly cut out AR500 scraps"

Done.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:59:49 AM EDT
What did I miss?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:02:22 AM EDT
I didn't read the other thread. What did it say? Not to use AR500 for body armor?

I have a set that I bought.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:02:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BlackRifleDiseased:
View Quote

This was actually a joke thread made as an attempt to continue the hilarity that insued after a 13er posted an ad for AR500 plates in GD.  The thread has since been locked but impressively made it to 5 pages before it was discovered by mods.  That being said I am now becoming curious about AR500 Steel
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:04:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Silas:

I didn't read the other thread. What did it say? Not to use AR500 for body armor?

View Quote
link

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:04:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By semiautomatic:

This was actually a joke thread made as an attempt to continue the hilarity that insued after a 13er posted an ad for AR500 plates in GD.  The thread has since been locked but impressively made it to 5 pages before it was discovered by mods.  That being said I am now becoming curious about AR500 Steel
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By semiautomatic:
Originally Posted By BlackRifleDiseased:

Go on ar500armor.com and see their youtube videos.  Pretty good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:10:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Silas:

View Quote
Long story short, it's not great armor.  Not to say it has not uses.

It's heavy as shit.

Spotty performance against M855, I've seen it go straight through, I've seen it stopped.

It really, badly needs some form of lining against spall/frag.

It's cheap.  If you can't afford ceramic YET, and feel you should have something JIC and need it NOW, then it fills a need.

It's tough, and can stand up to abuse better.  If you want a PC with plates to stuff in your trunk, JIC, and don't want to worry about whatever else you throw in there possibly damaging the plates, it will serve.  Similarly, you can get acclimated to plates, and the weight of a loaded PC without cheaply, and without worrying about handling.  This is also a plus if you find yourself traveling by air to a class or whatnot with your PC, as baggage handlers are insane abusive gorillas.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:13:36 AM EDT
View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:14:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By madbarbarian87:
annnnndddd bullshit

View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit

I've seen it go either way.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:17:00 AM EDT

annnnndddd bullshit
View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit

I respectfully agree; M855 should not penetrate AR500 targets at any ranges. I've shot a few thousand rounds of it at 3/8ths" AR500 steel and you can hardly tell it's been hit. If anything you'll get a small little "divet" in the steel. Perhaps you were shooting a different steel?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:21:06 AM EDT
what did I miss and why did it get trashed?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:24:35 AM EDT
Why would I buy that when I can just take ceramic bathroom tile, wrap it in chicken wire and cover it with roofing tar, then cover my body with a vest made from those small modular plates?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:40:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SuperDutyMikeMc:

I respectfully agree; M855 should not penetrate AR500 targets at any ranges. I've shot a few thousand rounds of it at 3/8ths" AR500 steel and you can hardly tell it's been hit. If anything you'll get a small little "divet" in the steel. Perhaps you were shooting a different steel?
View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit

I have had the same experience. I have shot .223, 308 and 30-06 FMJ as well as 855 at various ranges and none penetrated.
I shot 855 at some mild steel 3/8 and it went through.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:46:53 PM EDT

Huge difference between hitting 1/4" and 3/8" AR500 with steel core.

Guys, I'm not talking out of my ass here. I've shot tons of steel of various thickness and hardnesses lately.

Hit This Thread for a ridiculous amount of data from other arfcommers.

Myself and my testing crew have put 2,200 rounds into this test system in the last three weeks. No steel core.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:52:17 PM EDT
That would be some heavy shit right there...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:07:32 PM EDT
I don't know as you guys, but I've yet to find a good reason for getting body armor.

I participate in NMLRA competitions a lot at my range, so I can say I've got experience lugging around AR500 plates all day.

That's ridiculously heavy for something that's supposed to be on your body in any circumstance.

But knowing this Gov't, anything that could possibly be worth a damn to me in regards to Passive Defense is most surely restricted somehow.

What Irks me here is I've seen no threads on the use of A36 instead. Big improvement, IMO. Not nearly as strong as R500, but you get a 15% weight reduction. In all honesty, AR500 is WAY overboard.

Way overboard.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:12:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:15:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gas__Operated:
I don't know as you guys, but I've yet to find a good reason for getting body armor.

I participate in NMLRA competitions a lot at my range, so I can say I've got experience lugging around AR500 plates all day.

That's ridiculously heavy for something that's supposed to be on your body in any circumstance.

But knowing this Gov't, anything that could possibly be worth a damn to me in regards to Passive Defense is most surely restricted somehow.

What Irks me here is I've seen no threads on the use of A36 instead. Big improvement, IMO. Not nearly as strong as R500, but you get a 15% weight reduction. In all honesty, AR500 is WAY overboard.

Way overboard.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:16:25 PM EDT

Way overboard.
View Quote

Wut?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:16:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

To armor your body.
View All Quotes
but I've yet to find a good reason for getting body armor.

To armor your body.

Poetic simplicity.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:33:32 PM EDT

Way overboard.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:42:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By crurifragium:
Didn't some of the DIY solutions have PEI 5 rated ceramic tiles laminated onto the strike side and fare better in testing?
View Quote

Nope.

AR500 with multi weave Kevlar wrapped around it was the best result.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:54:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mean_sartin:

Nope.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crurifragium:

Nope.

And with rino lining
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:57:27 PM EDT

To armor your body.
View All Quotes

To armor your body.
I thought that is what tattoos are for?

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:41:23 AM EDT

annnnndddd bullshit
View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit

Dude, TBS was getting XM193 to blow through 3/8" AR500 from close range.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:53:52 AM EDT

To armor your body.
View All Quotes

To armor your body.

I get it now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:10:35 AM EDT

View All Quotes

True statement.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:11:24 AM EDT

annnnndddd bullshit

View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit

He's right.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:12:20 AM EDT

View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit

must not have been real AR500
i shoot mine at 25m or less(at an angle of course) with 855 and 193 and there are no ill affects to my plate...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:18:19 AM EDT

Way overboard.
View Quote

I had to scroll back up to check the join date, I wasn't disappointed
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:23:13 AM EDT
Looks like some people have had success with 855 not going through 1/4" ar500.

I wouldn't trust it for that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:26:33 AM EDT
Wut?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:24:58 AM EDT
I bought a set to put with my active shooter kit, and to use on other gun related calls. There is no doubt in my mind that it will be better than the soft armor that I have been waiting nearly 2 years to get. Right now I have a raid vest with some 15 year old Safariland soft armor.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:39:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By par0thead151:

i shoot mine at 25m or less(at an angle of course) with 855 and 193 and there are no ill affects to my plate...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By par0thead151:

annnnndddd bullshit

Here's a pict of my AR500 body armor.  Shot it at about 20 feet.  Stoped around 2 out of 3.  You can see the hole right through it.  Federal 55 grain 223.  16 inch barrel.  Bullet was traveling way over the speed the plate was rated to stop.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:41:12 PM EDT

View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit

It stops m855 reliably
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 5:44:39 PM EDT by sswfnhtu520]
I won't touch body armor
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:46:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sswfnhtu520:
I won't touch body armorhttp://goo.gl/Z3g1EF
View Quote

Dafuq?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:51:14 PM EDT

It stops m855 reliably

View All Quotes

annnnndddd bullshit

It stops m855 reliably

I give up. Can I buy a piece of your miracle 1/4" AR500 that stops rounds that no other piece of equal material will?

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 5:53:17 PM EDT by SuperDutyMikeMc]
I'm sure if this has anything to do with it, but perhaps one of the reasons our experiences vary so much may be how it's mounted? My 3/8ths AR500 plates are "gong' type plates, held by chains; not sure if allowing the target to target to swing freely reduces that chance of penetration. That said, regardless of the thickness of the steel, if it's penetrating .250 thick AR500 steel, I'd expect it to at least create significant damage to a .375 (3/8ths) plate, and it doesn't for me.

FWIW - I've shot that same 3/8ths AR500 target with a 338/378 Weatherby with a 200gr bullet at 100 yards and not seen adverse effects; one would expect if anything would punch through it that would. It's probably in the 3100-3200 fps range on impact, and it left a divet, but didn't come anywhere near penetrating.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:57:06 PM EDT
       http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

I give up. Can I buy a piece of your miracle 1/4" AR500 that stops rounds that no other piece of equal material will?

View All Quotes

It stops m855 reliably
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

He'll never concede that AR500 is vulnerable to certain 5.56MM rounds. He owns a pair of steel plates, which is the only reason that I can think of for the obsession. There is a long history of him defending steel as armor, and specifically against the multitude of people on here that know it has specific weaknesses.

Which is why I gave up, as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:59:41 PM EDT
I'm sure if this has anything to do with it, but perhaps one of the reasons our experiences vary so much may be how it's mounted? My 3/8ths AR500 plates are "gong' type plates, held by chains; not sure if allowing the target to target to swing freely reduces that chance of penetration. That said, regardless of the thickness of the steel, if it's penetrating .250 thick AR500 steel, I'd expect it to at least create significant damage to a .375 (3/8ths) plate, and it doesn't for me.

FWIW - I've shot that same 3/8ths AR500 target with a 338/378 Weatherby with a 200gr bullet at 100 yards and not seen adverse effects; one would expect if anything would punch through it that would. It's probably in the 3100-3200 fps range on impact, and it left a divet, but didn't come anywhere near penetrating.
View Quote

0.375 thickness is not at all a valid comparison to 0.250 thickness when gauging ballistic performance and V ratings of a material. Likewise, comparing one bullet with another and trying to draw conclusions is not valid, even in the same caliber.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:02:02 PM EDT

View All Quotes

is this the same as  http://www.ar500armor.com/?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:04:19 PM EDT
View All Quotes

What type of AR are you using? I got so it won't go through
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top