Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:23:39 AM EDT
I lost a big part of my Bicuspid, Molar,you know damn near a side of the Four Point Crown,looked like sheared Baby's 'eye tooth' piece of me in my hand,,,,,

My question,,even worth Saving the Molar/tooth? Dentist say's see my Endodontic Surgeon for a evaluation at this point He even said 'after a Root Canal we might not save your tooth just being straight up with ya',,,,,at least the guy is Honest I admire that,,,,so that said,,,,,,

Ride the Pain Wave and Go through the Motions for a uncertain bet? or Get the F*cker out of my Skull and be done with it?

Thanks for any reply's in advance

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a dentist...but I've had the same thing happen.  In '73, the tooth broke and the process to emplace a temp was total agony.  That tooth had been cracked for years and was VERY angry.

After it calmed down, the dentist did a root canal and put a crown on.  The entire process took a couple of weeks.  Ten years later, I got an abscess up there and had to have the damn thing extracted.  The dentist put a bridge on.

That lasted about twenty years.  The anchor tooth finally cracked and failed and now I have two implants where the former teeth were.  THAT was major bucks.

Listen to your dentist.  If he/she can save the tooth, then do so.  Failing that...jerk it out and go for the implant...IF you can possibly swing it.  You won't be sorry in the long run.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Depending on how much of the tooth is still intact, they may be able to put a crown on it.  But this will be more expensive.  

In general, it is better in the long run to keep as much and many of your teeth as possible.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]
my dad is a dentist, last 30 yeras, taught at the dental school, been there and done that...

his advice, just like you said, pop that fucker out and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Just get rid of it.

Fillings are fine, they stay put real well and last. But once you break a tooth, they insert a type of rod and affix new tooth-looking material to it, and that never lasts... it just breaks off again.  The root canal, is a sensible proceedure if you have a good solid whole tooth and a bad root... but to reinforce a good/bad root of a busted off tooth.. it's painful, expensive, and pointless.

We're talking a tooth thats not visible? (molar right?) You won't miss it, have it yanked.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Pull em, get implants, never look back!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I was blessed with a mouth full of awful teeth.

Have one bridge now on one side of my lower jaw.   Other side is prepped and waiting for an eventual bridge, fuckin not getting one now as I'd rather wait till something goes wrong with the side that currently has the bridge.    Fuck those mangled teeth, rip them out, put the bridge on the other side that could use it and I'll spend another 10-15 years chewing with the other side.

When that goes out, hopefully by then I'll be ready for either dentures or implants.

God I hate my fucking teeth.    Would go the implant route but it's so damned expensive for what it is.    Cosmetic surgery bullshit for my teeth?    I don't fucking smile as it is anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Mental note: Brush my teeth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top