Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2001 7:28:27 PM EDT
How does the phosphate finish hold up around salt water? On TLC I see specials were Seal/SOG units operate in and around salt water with there M4's/MP5's and other goodies. Is there something special they do to there rifle? I know you need sealed primers, but what of the rifles finish an internals.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How does the phosphate finish hold up around salt water? On TLC I see specials were Seal/SOG units operate in and around salt water with there M4's/MP5's and other goodies. Is there something special they do to there rifle? I know you need sealed primers, but what of the rifles finish an internals.  

View Quote

A bad combination. Remember that those SEAL/SOG guys didn't dish two grand from their personal wallet to buy the gun they are swimming with. They do it cause they have to. And when they do, you've got some cleaning to do. At the very minimum you gotta flush the entire weapon with fresh water, especially in the nooks and crannies. Also, salt water and rifles often involved beaches. That sand gets everywhere, and if you run the gun with sand in it you are not doinf yourself any favors.

The finish on these guns will hold up well enough with occasional exposure and good cleaning, but don't push it. If you look closely at photos of the guys on real ops, not posed PR shots, those guns have taken a beating. Some are worn silver in places. Some of the nastiest M-16's I ever saw were on the Coast Guard's patrol boats. Rifles in the rack with well worn finishes and actual rust on the barrel exteriors. I know the Coasties don't have a reputation as riflemen, so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'm not on the NSW side of the house, but we keep a bucket of fresh water on deck to dump our handguns in when we got out of the water.  As for long guns, hose em off or dunk them in a trough.  Even in fresh water environments, you can get a lot of crud in a weapon.  Remember in most operational environments, these kinds of things are luxuries too that are often not there.  I doubt the Boat Guys keep a pail of water on their RIBs!  [;)]

As for cleaning afterwards, just be thorough.  It's a time consuming process. Especially when you gotta turn em back in.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, I'm not on the NSW side of the house, but we keep a bucket of fresh water on deck to dump our handguns in when we got out of the water.  As for long guns, hose em off or dunk them in a trough.  Even in fresh water environments, you can get a lot of crud in a weapon.  Remember in most operational environments, these kinds of things are luxuries too that are often not there.  I doubt the Boat Guys keep a pail of water on their RIBs!  [;)]

As for cleaning afterwards, just be thorough.  It's a time consuming process. Especially when you gotta turn em back in.

-SARguy
View Quote

Canteen baby!
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always wondered about the buffer tube on an M16 in this situation.  Seems like you couldn't really clean and oil the outside of the tube unless you separated the stock.  comments?

Tate
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I too am interested in any details of how you guys thouroughly clean your AR's after you're done rinsing them in clean fresh water.  Do you just spray carb cleaner in every single place you can find, or what?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Will carb cleaner affect wood or plastic?  Is it safe for all my guns?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top