Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/30/2004 12:22:58 PM EST
My 80 year old grandfather fell and is having pretty bad pain on one side of his chest, especially when he breathes. As far as I know this sounds like a bruised or broken rib, though in addition to the pain he is coughing making it all the worse. Could coughing be symptomatic of a punctured lung, or is there any risk of damage from a cracked rib that would require a trip to the emergency room rather than a visit to the doctor on Monday?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:25:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By gvidon212:
My 80 year old grandfather fell and is having pretty bad pain on one side of his chest, especially when he breathes. As far as I know this sounds like a bruised or broken rib, though in addition to the pain he is coughing making it all the worse. Could coughing be symptomatic of a punctured lung, or is there any risk of damage from a cracked rib that would require a trip to the emergency room rather than a visit to the doctor on Monday?

Go to ER now as at 80, you should TAKE NO CHANCES !
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:27:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By wetidlerjr:

Originally Posted By gvidon212:

Go to ER now as at 80, you should TAKE NO CHANCES !

Bingo.... at age 20, i'd wait for blood... at age 80, its ER time.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:30:52 PM EST
Sometimes hard to tell if a rib is fractured on an x-ray.
Better to use a 128 mhz tuning fork, violent pain is pos indication.
Rib dislocations are big finding in my office.
I suggest monitor, ice, ace bandage, asprin.
If condition persist/degrades... 911
IM me if necessary for PH#.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:31:28 PM EST
He needs to go to the ER ASAP (same advice as above). He needs a Chest X-ray to rule out a fracture and make sure he doesn't have a pneumothorax. Unlikely, but still has to be checked. They'll probably give him some pain meds so that he can breath with less pain.
Top Top