Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 1:22:58 PM EDT
My 80 year old grandfather fell and is having pretty bad pain on one side of his chest, especially when he breathes. As far as I know this sounds like a bruised or broken rib, though in addition to the pain he is coughing making it all the worse. Could coughing be symptomatic of a punctured lung, or is there any risk of damage from a cracked rib that would require a trip to the emergency room rather than a visit to the doctor on Monday?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My 80 year old grandfather fell and is having pretty bad pain on one side of his chest, especially when he breathes. As far as I know this sounds like a bruised or broken rib, though in addition to the pain he is coughing making it all the worse. Could coughing be symptomatic of a punctured lung, or is there any risk of damage from a cracked rib that would require a trip to the emergency room rather than a visit to the doctor on Monday?

Go to ER now as at 80, you should TAKE NO CHANCES !
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to ER now as at 80, you should TAKE NO CHANCES !

Bingo.... at age 20, i'd wait for blood...   at age 80, its ER time.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes hard to tell if a rib is fractured on an x-ray.
Better to use a 128 mhz tuning fork, violent pain is pos indication.
Rib dislocations are big finding in my office.
I suggest monitor, ice, ace bandage, asprin.
If condition persist/degrades...    911
IM me if necessary for PH#.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
He needs to go to the ER ASAP (same advice as above).  He needs a Chest X-ray to rule out a fracture and make sure he doesn't have a pneumothorax.  Unlikely, but still has to be checked.  They'll probably give him some pain meds so that he can breath with less pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top