Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:18:02 PM EDT
theres a show about the history of ape to man on tonight on the history channel...

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I'd find the pictures of the Wiggles with guns more informative, entertaining, enlightening, and factual.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think I'd find the pictures of the Wiggles with guns more informative, entertaining, enlightening, and factual.

But the wiggles wasn't made using state of the art computer animation!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not understand why an unproven theroy gets so much attention
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh. When they have the man to ape special, i'll watch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Because it's "science".   And they'll have a bunch of "scientists" on the show too telling you that it's "science."

How dare you question scientific dogma, peasant?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Got this hanging in my office. LOL

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But the wiggles wasn't made using state of the art computer animation!

I'm pretty sure the pictures were done with Photoshop....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yeah nad what the hell is up with this unproven and unscientific theory of gravity. Christ, what are those scientists thinking?

ETA: IBTCD (In Before the Crappy Debate)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Gravity is a proven FACT.

Either way, I am skipping on the monkey show.

Ar15.com is far more entertaining
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]
ive seen the missing link his name is patrick ewing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
HELIOCENTRICITY IS DEVIL WORSHIP!

THE EARTH IS FLAT!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Vegas odds makers are giving 2/1 odds that this thread will turn into a religious royal rumble before the 3rd page.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Vegas odds makers are giving 2/1 odds that this thread will turn into a religious royal rumble before the 3rd page.

I would put down some cash on that one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So why is it called a theory?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it's "science".   And they'll have a bunch of "scientists" on the show too telling you that it's "science."

How dare you question scientific dogma, peasant?

Saying evolution is unproven is like saying OJ is innocent.  

Take your blinders off.  I know a lot of arfcom members are very religious, but that doesn't mean you have to toe the party line.  

I swear, some of you people would be the same ones a few hundred years ago swearing the Earth is flat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#17]
this should be required watching for all that participated in the evolution free for all earlier.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw it on Sunday, defenatly worth watching (even if you are religious) It is a very well done program, with good actors and good reenactments or the people who went looking for the bones back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#19]
When did the History channel start doing fiction?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want to believe that you came from an ape then you go ahead and believe it.

BUT I DID NOT COME FROM A FUCKING APE!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVOLUTION OF APE TO MAN IS THEORY!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I swear, some of you people would be the same ones a few hundred years ago swearing the Earth is flat.

Yep...religious dogma has neutered them of rational thinking.

And what do they base creationism on? A book not based on science or even theory, but faith?

I guess they're too busy preparing for the Rapture to offer any reasonable explanations.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Because it is better than a dream from some mangy book.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you want to believe that you came from an ape then you go ahead and believe it.

I wasn't prepared to accept your opinion as truth, but since you yelled it that makes all the difference.  

Our very early ancestors were single celled creatures.  As some point, they were fish.  You're getting hung up on apes.  

If memory serves, the apes you're thinking are actually our evolutionary cousins.  We (humans and apes) have a common ancestor and apes are not a direct link.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it is better than a dream from some mangy book.

No, it's better to believe your made in the image of God than a mutation from an ape.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I saw it on Sunday, defenatly worth watching (even if you are religious) It is a very well done program, with good actors and good reenactments or the people who went looking for the bones back in the day.

Are there any nekkid cavewomen in it? That would make it a big + in deciding wether to watch it or not.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They're covering the bible now too?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't prepared to accept your opinion as truth, but since you yelled it that makes all the difference.  

Our very early ancestors were single celled creatures.  As some point, they were fish.  You're getting hung up on apes.  

If memory serves, the apes you're thinking are actually our evolutionary cousins.  We (humans and apes) have a common ancestor and apes are not a direct link.

and here's an illustration for the science-challenged:
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are there any nekkid cavewomen in it? That would make it a big + in deciding wether to watch it or not.  

Yeah, there are naked women, but they are harrier than a French chick. Oh, and, IBTL for all this shit throwing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're covering the bible now too?

If you watched, you'd see that they treat the Bible like fiction.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I watched this show the other day when it was on
pretty good.
basically it talks about the various people that tried to find the missing link and talks about earlier homo species
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
pretty good.
basically it talks about the various people that tried to find the missing link and talks about earlier homo species

What! There's Homos in it too?

Now we can really expect the shit to fly... religion and gay bashing.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
pretty good.

+1 Good show. It basically explains that when our ancestors started to use tools and hunt together, the abundance of fresh protein fueled our brains to grow larger. Take that you damn vegans.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So is the idea that a supernatural being created you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Evolution is DOGMA.  Not science.  Beleive it all you want, but don't claim intellectual superiority because you beleive it.

Its only considered science because so many "scientists" believe it.  Not because its in any way provable.  Or even probable for that matter.

In the real world, science is something that can be demonstrated and proven.  Gravity is a fact because it has been PROVEN to exist.

Evolution is not because no experiment or demonstratable phenomenon has ever supported it.  The only thing evolutionists have is speculation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Good idea...the educationmight kill you

Sgatr1r5
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Evolution is DOGMA.  Not science.  Beleive it all you want, but don't claim intellectual superiority because you beleive it.

Its only considered science because so many "scientists" believe it.  Not because its in any way provable.  Or even probable for that matter.

In the real world, science is something that can be demonstrated and proven.  Gravity is a fact because it has been PROVEN to exist.

Evolution is not because no experiment or demonstratable phenomenon has ever supported it.  The only thing evolutionists have is speculation.

you keep right on thinking that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I am constatly surprised to find that I am not the stupidist person here on the board.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignorance is bliss.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, we should believe that our ancestors crawled out of the ocean because the same people that used to bleed people to remedy disease now tell us we're one step up from a monkey.

This is why we have evolved so much since written records were kept.  Hell, I feel my wings about to sprout.  This will save me much gas as I won't have to drive to work anymore.

My point is, scientists have no conclusive proof that evolution is factual, that is why it is called a Theory.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#40]
The program is on tonight again at midnight if anyone missed it and wants to watch the propaganda show.

I don't want  to get in an argument, but I do have to point out that gravity has not been scientifically proven. Science by itself can only produce probably theories, and can NEVER prove anything. However it can disprove theories.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Yes, we should believe that our ancestors crawled out of the ocean because the same people that used to bleed people to remedy disease now tell us we're one step up from a monkey.

This is why we have evolved so much since written records were kept.  Hell, I feel my wings about to sprout.  This will save me much gas as I won't have to drive to work anymore.

Man has kept written history for a very short time.  Evolution occurs over a very long time.

What do you think an embryo has a tail?  Why do you have a tail, the coccyx?  Why is there fossil evidence of many ancestors to modern animals/man?  

A person who objectively looks at the evidence cannot conclude that evolution is 'just a theory.'  The only other explanantion is that God placed this on Earth to test your faith/some other reason.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Man has kept written history for a very short time.  Evolution occurs over a very long time.

What do you think an embryo has a tail?  Why do you have a tail, the coccyx?  Why is there fossil evidence of many ancestors to modern animals/man?  

A person who objectively looks at the evidence cannot conclude that evolution is 'just a theory.'  The only other explanantion is that God placed this on Earth to test your faith/some other reason.

Perhaps it takes millions of years for monkeys to turn to man, but surely there would be some subtle differences that evolving men could detect in 4000 years if he were truly changing.

Embryos probably have tails for the same reason sperm cells do, for locomotion.  As far as my coccyx goes, my dad docked it at the same time as our doberman, so I wouldn't know much about it.  Fossils reveal much about ancient creatures, but there is still the problem of the missing link, without it there is no conclusive evidence, but a good theory.

People who objectively look at the evidence are the ones who call evolution a theory.  I know of no scientists, atheists or not, who don't acknowledge it as theory.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Actually... we cant prove that gravity exists. we can theorize about it, but thats why its still called a theory. Its the same conundrum we have with time. We cant prove that time exists.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

And what do they base creationism on? A book not based on science or even theory, but faith?

I guess they're too busy preparing for the Rapture to offer any reasonable explanations.

Yup.

All us unreasonable idiots just are too stupid to come in out of the rain.

All us religious idiots like Isaac Newton have no ability to reason whatsoever.

Kudos to you for spotting that!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Two major elements of evolutionary hypothesis have not been observed in the lab. The mechanism by which a bunch of floating protiens became the first living cell, and the idea that natural selection involves increasing genetic complexity. (As opposed to what natural selection actually does, which cause a sorting or loss of extant genetic information.)

Thus the two biggest elements of evolutionary theory are not really proven directly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm curious as to why this thread hasn't been moved to the "Religious Forums"?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

All us unreasonable idiots just are too stupid to come in out of the rain.

All us religious idiots like Isaac Newton have no ability to reason whatsoever.

Kudos to you for spotting that!

Ouch.

I caught part of the show last night when it re-aired.  There was one Dutch scientist who spent his time looking for this 'missing link' and probably the most telling phrase to describe his work was when they said a skull fragment he found sent him into a "frenzy of speculation".

ETA:The theory of evolution goes against science because it relies not on evolving, but in fact, on mutation.  Every mutation on which this theory relies has been a positive one, on that supposedly makes the species better.  Very few, if any mutations observed in a species today do that.  And all of the ones that do have very negative side effects.

Also, to add to the list of religious zealots who never use logic: Jonathan Edwards.  Not a scientist, but he occasionally had a thought, I think.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Theories are considered "standing" until they're disproven.   See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm curious as to why this thread hasn't been moved to the "Religious Forums"?

BigDozer66

Because it has nothing to do with religion IMHO. Religion doesn't effect my view on evolution,
but the lack of proof, fossil records and the Cambrian Explosion does.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

they've been doing it for years with shows about creationism and Biblical miracles
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top