Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 3/17/2002 10:02:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2002 10:35:50 AM EST by sulaco]
Dose anyone know if you can regester a weapon as an AOW in CA w/o any special permits? And if so, how much dose the permit cost to convert a wepaon into an AOW <$5>? Actuly never mind that CA part, you don't need a special permit for an AOW in CA, just the NFA paperwork. Also, all NFA items cost 200 to make, but AOW's require a $5 transfer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 11:09:04 AM EST
Read California Penal Code Section 12276.1 in it's entirity. An AOW based on an AR15-type receiver would be classified as an assault weapon as either a rifle, a short rifle under 30 inches overall or with a short barrel or a pistol. Making one would be illegal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:39:24 PM EST
I should have made it clearer, The question for AOW's was for a short-barreled shotgun with out a stock so it would qualify as an AOW. Costs $200 to make, and a $5 transfer fee instead of $200 like SBR’s or MG’s. Although I have wondered if being classified as an NFA item like a SBR or AOW would exclude it from any Assault Weapon status from federal or state laws, much like an NFA MG’s excluded from that status. I think the only part excluded is it’s barrel length and the length of the weapon.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 2:36:38 PM EST
This is Kalifornistan remember! Good luck getting any SBR, AOW, NFA, MG's, SBT's, McD's, KFC's, CPT's or LBZ's or anything that requires a permit. Permit=no! Even if you did get one, the hassle you would get everytime at the range would be too much.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:48:39 PM EST
Actuly JBear, there is no such thing as an AOW permit in CA. So you can still buy AOWs here just like anywhere else [:D]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:08:59 PM EST
But there is such a thing as a sawed-off shotgun, which you can't have.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:24:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2002 8:26:26 PM EST by sulaco]
Originally Posted By Dave_G: But there is such a thing as a sawed-off shotgun, which you can't have.
View Quote
True, but what is the definition of a sawed-off shotgun? A requirement for an AOW shotgun is that the shotgun left the factory could with ought butstock. So it must come with a pistol grip only or no stock at all if you want to use it as an AOW shotgun. Hears a picture of one - and dam if this doesn’t qualify as a sawed-off shotgun then I don't know what dose. [img]http://www.autoweapons.com/photos/supershorty.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:37:27 PM EST
That is a short-barreled shotgun as defined in California law. The only way you could have something like that is if the DOJ specifically authorizes you to possess it. That will not happen. I suggest that you do your own research. Try [url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html[/url].
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:13:50 PM EST
Sounds good, I’ll go ahead and look into it but I wouldn’t bee surprise if you were right about that Dave. I know there are forms for AW’s, MG’s, SBR’s and DD’s but nothing for AOW’s so I just put two and two together.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 11:15:24 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 10:06:35 AM EST
you cna get a AOW in california problem is just about every AOW has been legilsalated away. so good luck finding one and ven better luck getting the sign off
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:46:47 AM EST
This is KA. Class III or Class IIA? Unless, you're rich, famous or LE/Military, forget it. It's not going to happen.
Top Top