Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2001 8:31:32 PM EDT
Un friggin believable!!!

Just this last Sunday I posted a topic "ALMOST GOT KILLED TODAY" Many folks read it..

Well, AGAIN, another Accidental Discharge...
This time it's at my gun club, during a trap shoot.

I was in the #1 position and a 15 year old girl was the #5 position...
We shot all the positions, and I was at the last spot.(#5,far right)
The 15 year old girl was standing to my left in the #4 spot.
The shooter at #3 took his shot, and a 1/2 second later BOOOM!!!, the girl(#4) shot right into the roof of the concrete trap house !!!, stripping the paint off the roof !!!
I guess she had already chambered a round and was holding the gun at her hip with her finger on the trigger.
I saw it happen while watching her, waiting for my last shot...    

Nobody really chewed on her, as she's still new to shooting, but I walked over to her and offered a little advice...

DON'T chamber a round till the guy next to you shoots...

DON'T close the action till it's YOUR turn to shoot...

DON'T put your finger on the trigger till the clay is in the air...

I'm starting to wonder...
Is there a black cloud over my head ???

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful, God rarely misses three times in a row.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If she's that much of a novice she probably shouldn't be shooting in such a setting. Watch you ass, dragracer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
We had one at a match recently...

Some guy was shooting a run on the steel targets, and put a round from his 1911 2 feet from his big toe in the ground.

"Uh.. I forgot there was still a round in the chamber.."
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If she's that much of a novice she probably shouldn't be shooting in such a setting. Watch you ass, dragracer.
View Quote

even the "experts" make mistakes.  i wouldn't be so quick to judge her experience.  new to trap shooting doesn't mean new to shooting.  could have just been a brain fart.  heck, someone might have even taught her that way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you thought about changing to fishing for a while [:D]
View Quote

I'm thinking maybe I should stay in the house for awhile...

...But, with my luck, the house would be hit by lightning and burst into flames...  
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you thought about changing to fishing for a while [:D]
View Quote

I'm thinking maybe I should stay in the house for awhile...

...But, with my luck, the house would be hit by lightning and burst into flames...  
View Quote

If that happens buy a Lotto ticket. Your luck is changing. [;D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats some bad juju Art.

I'm glad you weren't hurt, but you gotta stop it with these close calls.  If someone else has another AD near you, were going to make your wife wrap you up in kevlar before you can go trap shooting again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thats some bad juju Art.

I'm glad you weren't hurt, but you gotta stop it with these close calls.  If someone else has another AD near you, were going to make your wife wrap you up in kevlar before you can go trap shooting again.
View Quote

I think, from now on, I'm 'gonna be sure to kiss her and the kids "goodbye" every time I leave the house...

...I think the planets are aligned funny right now...[:D]

...It's not a full moon is it ???
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Shaggy...

Don't forget...
Saturday 8:30 AM...at Burger King

....Did you ever get ahold of that FAL you were talking about ???
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Art - you got mail.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Art - you got mail.
View Quote

[:D]...So do you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Before heading out to the
range,
take time
to
make sure that you
are wearing
clean underwear.

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
You are one big target for ADs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#17]
TWO ND's inside of a week?  My advice - stand BEHIND everybody out there...

Reminds me of teaching 2LT's at Ft. Benning once upon a time...

Personally, I have been shooting for the upside of 30 years without an ND.  So far, so good...

You can spot anyone I train - they will actually jump when they make a mistake.  Same way I learned when I was a kid, and I see no reason to change.  You should see the way my trainees jump when they step on a rope...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:11:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey Shaggy...

Don't forget...
Saturday 8:30 AM...at Burger King

....Did you ever get ahold of that FAL you were talking about ???
View Quote

Be careful Shaggy.  Since it appears you two are meeting, be very careful.  Someone might attempt to rob Burger King while you are there, or maybe even a drive by shooting.  [;)]

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a sign.....Someone is telling you something.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
even the "experts" make mistakes.  i wouldn't be so quick to judge her experience.  new to trap shooting doesn't mean new to shooting.  could have just been a brain fart.  heck, someone might have even taught her that way.
View Quote

One mistake would
be to
offer excuses
in lieu of admonitory
advice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#21]
It is not a mystery why there are guns going off around your range. Basic rules of the safe handling of firearms are not being followed. Until there is some form of accountability it will continue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DON'T chamber a round till the guy next to you shoots...

DON'T close the action till it's YOUR turn to shoot...

DON'T put your finger on the trigger till the clay is in the air...

View Quote

I don't think you are going far enough on this one. [b]The shooter should not even load until he is on the firing line and should unload and leave the action open before exiting the firing line.[/b] This insures that nothing can go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey Dragracecart, I'd put off your next intended firearms purchase and invest in a Class III bullet-resistant vest and a kevlar helmet.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#24]
art, bad things happen in three's! BE CAREFUL!
p.s. i can lend you my kevlar helmet if you want!
p.s.s. rumor has it that there is a re-match tactical course, sep. 22 in carlisle! hope to see you, body armor and all, there!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#25]
She need some additional safety instruction, from your post it sounds like she chambered a round before it was her turn to shoot?

Make sure she keep the action on her shotgun OPEN while she is waiting her turn.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#26]
The important things are these: First and foremost no-one was hurt and secondly no-one chewed her out and actually offered some advice. It is very important that we keep as many people in our ranks as possible and I'm sure that a stern yet calm talking to will help insure that she doesn't make this mistake again. Remember, when you point a finger, you have three more pointing back at yourself!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I have to admit I'm having second thoughts about walking around a gun show with Art next weekend [;)]

>ducking and covering<
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Dude...did you break a mirror lately?! Beware of that third time...buy a vest!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#29]
SSHHHEEEEEEEEEESSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
 I guess I better wear my Kevlar at the gunshow, or stand a LONG way from DRA.
 Seriously, you may need to have safety briefing prior to each event, and it's one mistake, and you go home.  BTW, am I in your will? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#31]
You did not indicate how she reacted.  Did she whiz her drawers, or shrug it off?  

If it was the latter, I would be real worried.  If she was not scared, somebody should have chewed her out.  It only takes one accident for somebody to go home in a box.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top