Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:02:34 AM EDT
Local one for 3 bills.

Hassle or dream gun?

TIA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:05:50 AM EDT
I had one years ago....Hassle. It was very quirky as to feeding. CCI HPs worked the best.

That said it's a good price but I never found it any more useful than a .22 LR Ruger of the same barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:07:02 AM EDT
I had always wanted one , and found one in a Kansas pawn shop some time ago . . . . I paid $300 plus freight and transfer fees to get it home ( IIRC).

It functioned fine , had a great feel to it and I wanted it as a sidearm to carry varmint hunting . . . . . but that thing just wouldnt group worth a damn . I tried 5 or 6 different kinds of ammo and nothing seemed to 'click' with it .

I ended up dumping it at a gunshow a few years later
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:11:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:06:07 AM EDT
The Gendel has a larger mag, is lighter, & feeds well. It also costs an arm & a leg to feed @ the range b/c there's a tendency to rip off 30 rnds - 1 mag full. Haven't heard any reports on the new Kel-Tec, but it looks to be an improved Grendel.

Merry Christmaunakah & Happy New Year!

backbencher
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:13:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 9:13:54 AM EDT by testify4]
A friend had one. Neat looking gun, but fussy. I remember many failures to feed on the range trip I got to shoot it.

He was going to try to get the kinks worked out but decided to sell it instead.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:19:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 9:23:38 AM EDT by warlord]
ETA What EXACT AMT model ?

It depends, it is a hit an miss. Even when the owner Harry Sanford was alive, it was a hit or miss thing with them.

I met the production manager at a political rallye for Dick Mountjoy(a local conservation politician), and seems nice pretty nice, but I have also met some people that had to deal with his company, and he was not so nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:23:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By anothergene:
I dealt with a few that were not super accurate or reliable.
Between the cost of ammo & the loud blast, I no longer have one.
Now the AMT copy of a Ruger MKII, the lightning, I've had good luck with after some tweaking.
That was was a good gun. Ruger sued them because of that gun that is when they AMT changed their name to Irwindale Arms Inc(IAI).

AMT/IAI also made a 22LR gun that externally "looks" like the AMT 44 Auto Mag, but all of the internals were Lightening/Ruger MKII.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:24:25 AM EDT
Get the Keltec.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:24:52 AM EDT
Do NOT buy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:26:53 AM EDT
never buy any autoloader unless it has a perfect reputation for complete reliability

and is being made by a top quality manufacturer
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:27:43 AM EDT
I am against .22 magnum in general.

It survives only due to hunting regulations (rimfire only type of laws). If you want power, get something bigger, if you want cheap plinking, stick with long rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:32:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 9:33:41 AM EDT by kevinb120]
It looks cool, but I'd rather only be spending my time looking at my rimfire plinker as nothing but an image of blurry rear/crisp font sights and my thumb shoving rounds into magazines as quickly as possible. Just get a Ruger or Buckmark.

.22 magnum I would probably just get a revolver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:35:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By testify4:
A friend had one. Neat looking gun, but fussy. I remember many failures to feed on the range trip I got to shoot it.

Same here. Friend's was a jam-o-matic. Really sharp machined edges too. Not impressed.

Isn't there some polymer equivalent? Maybe a Kel Tec?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:42:26 AM EDT
300 bucks eh? I obught mine for $175, but about 10 years ago.

I have a 6" one from the Irwindale plant, old one. It was a jam-o-matic with everything I tried.

Eventually, I let a friend work it over. He actually had to bore out and polish the tunnel where the mainspring rides. It was binding up, causing all the problems. Gun has been 100% ever since.

Now, as far as you getting one:
Pros:
Loud! Like 9mm loud, and a big muzzle flash. Gets attention at the range.
Looks Cool, and is an Automag
Fairly accurate, but not a tack driver like a Ruger Mark II Gov't

Cons:
finicky, spotty QC
.22 Mag ain't cheap.
mags were expensive 10 years ago
Mine throws a lot of shit in my face, mostly unburnt powder, and after a cleaning, gun oil.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:48:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 9:50:04 AM EDT by Buckshot4U]
Originally Posted By CBR900:
Originally Posted By testify4:

Same here. Friend's was a jam-o-matic. Really sharp machined edges too. Not impressed.

Isn't there some polymer equivalent? Maybe a Kel Tec?

The only review I've read on the new Keltec said it was reliable, but not the epitomy of accuracy. Pretty sure it was in American Rifleman FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:55:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
I am against .22 magnum in general.

It survives only due to hunting regulations (rimfire only type of laws). If you want power, get something bigger, if you want cheap plinking, stick with long rifle.

I disagree with the ARFCOM .22 WMR hate. I would say hunting regs have little to do with the viability of the cartridge. It survives, b/c it is a great all around cartridge. I'm not going to argue that it's the best at anyting, but if a guy doesn't reload, it's 2/3 - 1/2 the price of most centerfires, less noise than a centerfire, less recoil than a centerfire and more ass than a .22 LR. Still a pretty good utility caliber, even in this day and age.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:47:56 AM EDT
I have one. Couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside with it. Good thing it was a gift, I wouldn't spend the money for one.
Top Top