Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]

That's our boys

On a side note, I was recently stopped one night at one of their roadblocks along a local secluded roadway.  I suppose they were checking for drunks.  Although there was a back-up officer in place, out in the middle of nowhere like that I can only imagine how the extra firepower would ease an officer's state of mind.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Good for them. With the rural areas they patrol they damned sure need them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thaaa don need nuttin I caint git! Oh, I keen git me one a dem!

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]
i think it's a smart move and should have been implemented long ago.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
What no 3 rd burst or full auto?

If I was a cop I would probally have a stash of home made 5.56 NATO rounds and I would use those.

I hope this conflict ends soon... reloaders are OK but factory shooters are having a little problem.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If I was a cop I would probally have a stash of home made 5.56 NATO rounds and I would use those.

I hope this conflict ends soon... reloaders are OK but factory shooters are having a little problem.

Translate, please.

Back on topic:

TN troopers got AR's last year, IIRC.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#9]
They want to be able to shoot dogs further away when they are in the country. Head man said they can't get ammo-feds getting it all.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
This only means the state is buying them. They have been able to carry personal AR for years. I know a guy in the Honor guard. He carries his M14 and his personal AR.

When cows get out that have been a problem and the owner does nothing to prevent them getting out of the fence, he puts them down with the M14. Called a road hazard and danger to vehicles. Especially at night.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Translate, please.

Back on topic:

What I'm saying is this.  
Some police departments allow their Law Enforcement Officers to have on duity Full auto or 3 round burst tactical rifles, rifles that they could NOT take home.

In the artical it said that they only had Civilan semi auto rifles, things that they could easily take home.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Translate, please.

Back on topic:

What I'm saying is this.  
Some police departments allow their Law Enforcement Officers to have on duity Full auto or 3 round burst tactical rifles, rifles that they could NOT take home.

In the artical it said that they only had Civilan semi auto rifles, things that they could easily take home.

Um...yeah...I meant translate that whole reload thing.....

why do you need an AR to take out a stray cow?

(Did I just say 'stray cow'? It'll be the new LEO craze, I predict it....and I hope they come by my house' the neighbors cows are begging to get shot!)

Anyway....why do you need an AR to pop a stray cow? I've been tempted to .45 ACP one of the neighbor's cows. I'll give an AAR iff they get out and cause me to slam on the brakes once more.........

(Please, don't take the above questions about cows seriously)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Head man said ARs were needed because last year someone shot at a cop from a half mile away. Said country folks are now armed with AKs and Ars.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Reloaders
firearm enthuist who use and/or reuse brass to make useable ammunition.

Reloading can produce ammo that is taylored to your firearm and therefore offers you better accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Reloaders
firearm enthuist who use and/or reuse brass to make useable ammunition.

Reloading can produce ammo that is taylored to your firearm and therefore offers you better accuracy.

Um...yeah...been doing that for 25 years now, so I think i have the basic concept down....but my point is......

WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

Your original post was vague, and alluded to a problem that we the general public aren't specifically aware of.

Is there some magic ammo that reloaders create that is somehow better than the better factory loads for the 5.56?

(If so, I'd like to hear of it....)

or is there some issue with getting ammo to the officers?

Has Alabama closed all its ammo stores?

Speak english......
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Translate, please.

Back on topic:

What I'm saying is this.  

What does the ARTICLE (not artical) have to do with reloading?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]
While I fully agree that the troopers should get ARs, politically motivated bullshit such as:

"One of the problems we have is we're in so many predominantly rural areas and we're seeing an increase in the type of weapons the bad guys have - AR-15s and AK-47s," Coppage said. "We'd like to give the troopers an equal chance."

is just that, total bullshit.  It is as if the numbnut is saying that since the ban expired, blah, blah, blah..................

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#18]
what happened to all of the 5.56/.223 ammo??
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
While I fully agree that the troopers should get ARs, politically motivated bullshit such as:

"One of the problems we have is we're in so many predominantly rural areas and we're seeing an increase in the type of weapons the bad guys have - AR-15s and AK-47s," Coppage said. "We'd like to give the troopers an equal chance."

is just that, total bullshit.  It is as if the numbnut is saying that since the ban expired, blah, blah, blah..................

He said nothing about the ban, Larry...

If you like it or not (And believe me, for several reasons, I don't!) the REALITY is that we are seeing more and more military style rifles being possessed by criminals, particularly among meth cooks/tweakers and gang bangers. Luckily all of them are not using them but they are becoming more prevalant.

His point is valid. It is factual. He says nothing about restricting access or the ban. How do you figure it is "politically motivated"?

Kinda jumpy and looking for messages that just are not there aren't we?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#20]

I work with a guy who's dad was one of the three cops killed by the "person" weilding an SKS in B'ham recently.  I will actually be moving to his floor next week.  The topic of my shooting is more than likely to come up knowing the other coworkers who will be moving with me, and I'm not sure how I will be able to approach/respond to the situation when he is present.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#21]
It took them this long to get a patrol rifle?  Why?  Every RPC should have a shotgun and a semi/select fire rifle available for duty use.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you like it or not (And believe me, for several reasons, I don't!) the REALITY is that we are seeing more and more military style rifles being possessed by criminals, particularly among meth cooks/tweakers and gang bangers. Luckily all of them are not using them but they are becoming more prevalant.

His point is valid. It is factual. He says nothing about restricting access or the ban. How do you figure it is "politically motivated"?

What I highlighted in red is politically motivated.  None of the cops around here are saying such as that and I know several and have asked them.  I live in a rural county.

Just to be clear, I am in full agreement that they should get ARs and should have had them long ago, I just don't buy into the bullshit statements like that.

If you don't think it is politically motivated, go compare that statement with all the nonsence on VPC.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I highlighted in red is politically motivated.  None of the cops around here are saying such as that and I know several and have asked them.  I live in a rural county.

Just to be clear, I am in full agreement that they should get ARs and should have had them long ago, I just don't buy into the bullshit statements like that.

If you don't think it is politically motivated, go compare that statement with all the nonsence on VPC.

I thinkg the "politicol climate" statement was referring to the City of Birmingham having a delima about allowing AR's not the State Troopers. The City Council of Bham hates the cops almost as much as the thugs in Enseley. And the new leader of the State Troopers is the former Chief of Police in Birmingham. Nothing to do with the AWB.

eta; in the past year I think there have been 5 or more Alabama cops killed with SKS's. I have not heard of any shootings with AR's or AK's.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT, what you have highlighted in red is TRUE, FACTUAL AND RELEVANT so why shouldn't he say it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

eta; in the past year I think there have been 5 or more Alabama cops killed with SKS's. I have not heard of any shootings with AR's or AK's.

Remember, for the purpose of reporting in this nation, an SKS is an AK, or a varient of the AK, or desendant of the AK, or an AK-type rifle, or just an assualt rifle.   It is very seldom an SKS unless it's the VPC explaining how it's just as evil as an AK and even comes with a built in bayonett  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Cops don't need ARs just because a small fraction of criminals are equipping themselves with semi automatic rifles.
They need them because the badguys still mostly have pistols, and only an idiot fights a fair fight when he can waste the motherfucker from a distance

I'm all for it. And when some cops realize that ARs really aren't a big deal maybe we'll get some more respect in the civilian military pattern rifle shooting world.

BTW--cops can take issued NFA weapons home with them, if thats department policy. A few years back, though, we had a couple of incidents in my area where MP5s were stolen from patrol cars in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Cops don't need ARs just because a small fraction of criminals are equipping themselves with semi automatic rifles.
They need them because the badguys still mostly have pistols, and only an idiot fights a fair fight when he can waste the motherfucker from a distance

I'm all for it. And when some cops realize that ARs really aren't a big deal maybe we'll get some more respect in the civilian military pattern rifle shooting world.

BTW--cops can take issued NFA weapons home with them, if thats department policy. A few years back, though, we had a couple of incidents in my area where MP5s were stolen from patrol cars in the middle of the night.

The local FBI was coming to our range for a shoot. They loaded up their SUV's the night before. Some thugs broke into them and stole a bunch of FA stuff. I think they got all of them back except for one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#28]
One of my local Sheriff’s Deputies had one in his car. Good idea for rural areas.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i think it's a smart move and should have been implemented long ago.

Amen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top